SoCal fires continue thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
JBean glad you are home safe.

I haven't heard the news in awhile. Are things settling down? No new fires? Winds slowing up?

It is still discouraging to read so many of the fires are either not contained at all or very little.

I can't imagine what the real numbers will be when all this is finally over. i think there is plenty that is still unknown.

A new fire just reported on fox north of LA in a town called acton

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/23/fire.military/index.html

Military helps fight fires while two fires threaten Camp Pendleton

• <LI class=cnnHiliteHeader>Story Highlights
  • NEW: Two fires at Camp Pendleton could lead to evacuation
  • Military lending direct and indirect assistance to firefighting efforts
  • As firefighting efforts go on, base officials poised to evacuate
  • Navy and Marine Corps have more than 20 facilities in San Diego area
  • Next Article in Politics &#187;

I think I heard the Witch Fire is up to 164,000 acres, and the Poomacha Fire on the reservation had grown to 3,000 acres by late this morning.

A new fire just reported on fox north of LA in a town called acton

I haven't heard anything down here about it yet JDB. Acton is a small little town up near Antelope Valley.............scenic area, has been used to film some old Westerns in the past.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/23/fire.military/index.html

Military helps fight fires while two fires threaten Camp Pendleton
  • <LI class=cnnHiliteHeader>Story Highlights
  • NEW: Two fires at Camp Pendleton could lead to evacuation
  • Military lending direct and indirect assistance to firefighting efforts
  • As firefighting efforts go on, base officials poised to evacuate
  • Navy and Marine Corps have more than 20 facilities in San Diego area
  • Next Article in Politics »
These must be where the new smoke I can see is coming from. I live just northwest of Pendleton

In an effort to make room for more civilians who have had to evacuate their homes, sailors stationed in Southern California are abandoning their barracks.

"Orders have been given to all sailors ashore in barracks to move to shipboard billeting to provide room for evacuees," said a Tuesday statement released by the U.S. military.

Only essential personnel are requested to report to duty at Naval Base San Diego, Naval Amphibious Base in Coronado, and Naval Air Station in El Centro.

Those bases have also set up cots and tents for evacuees.

Also, the Navy has offered an Aegis cruiser, a guided missile destroyer, and two fast frigates to support evacuation efforts.

Meanwhile, the Pentagon designated March Air Reserve Base as the primary staging area for medical and relief supplies coordinated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, McHale said.

And some 100 California National Guard medical personnel are helping alleviate "critical staffing shortfalls" at the San Diego Veterans Center, whose hospital staff are under voluntary and mandatory evacuation orders.

The fires are also having a direct effect on military personnel -- McHale said 1,400 Navy personnel and their families have been forced to evacuate, and Camp Pendleton ordered 3,000 Marines to evacuate because of the fire, the Pentagon announced Tuesday evening.

More at link Oops I lost the link same one that Indy used

These must be where the new smoke I can see is coming from. I live just northwest of Pendleton

Jbean what is the second fire they are talikng about near CP

Jbean what is the second fire they are talikng about near CP
Well as the cops were just trying to arrest me for being in the back hills i should have asked them:D
I just got in big trouble. There is a ridgeline that sperates San Juan Cap from San Clemente. That ridgeline is where I ride my bike and it is at the end of my street.
Sooo I went to climb it and take pictures because I can see the Santiago fire and teh Pendleton fires.
OOPS

I got the boot and a shame shame from the officers. But I did get a couple pictues before they smacked me. brb

Love Mama,
Glad to see your post. Got a little nervous when you weren't on most of the day.

I can only imagine Tijuana in a crisis. It would be mass destruction.
Funny even the fire doesn't want to live there!!!

Hockeymom................I also took a nap. I was up so long watching the news of the fires............oh man I just passed out about 10 in the morning.
Boy am I getting old! On the other hand I just can't go out and dance all nite either.

:blowkiss:
xxoooooo
mama Louise

Well as the cops were just trying to arrest me for being in the back hills i should have asked them:D
I just got in big trouble. There is a ridgeline that sperates San Juan Cap from San Clemente. That ridgeline is where I ride my bike and it is at the end of my street.
Sooo I went to climb it and take pictures because I can see the Santiago fire and teh Pendleton fires.
OOPS

I got the boot and a shame shame from the officers. But I did get a couple pictues before they smacked me. brb
:slap:

Bad JBean, bothering the officers!

:cool:

:slap:

Bad JBean, bothering the officers!

:cool:
They were NOT happy with me at all. I didn;t go very far in and it was fine. He said there's a fire you know.:doh:
There was another guy and he asked if the fire was coming close to us. The officer said maybe.:(

fire034.jpg

fire016.jpg

fire031.jpg

fire026.jpg

fire033.jpg

the second and fourth pictures are straight to Pendleton

This is all so unusual. San Diego usually has some wildfires - but nothing like this. It's a combination of a huge lack of rainfall and dryer than usual weather, drying out all the underbrush, and a very unusual Santa Ana - lasting for multiple days (normally it's just one), and very strong. Put that together, and the slightest spark creates a wildfire.

The people who talk about why we live in a wildfire zone then get upset by fires - this normally isn't a wildfire zone. Santa Anas are pushing a normal little brushfire that normally would char some wild acres and be easily put out when it got to houses, into an enourmous conflaguration that cannot be stopped, moving fast, jumping 10 lane freeways, uncontrollable.

YOU got it all right Details. I know that we're been expecting something like this....but when it comes, we're still into not beliving it will happen.

We have too damn much new cookie cutter housing.....like my dad said years ago, well maybe 50 yrs ago.............you'll never see the Orange groves again Louise.........We'd be on the way to Los Angeles on the OLD Coast 2 lane Hiway in a 1936 Chevy! Boy, I sure didn't realize what he was talking about! .........I was only five. Now I do!

If a fire doesn't have a house next to it to jump to..........then fire may burn out. Maybe not..........just telling you that years ago, we NEVER had these kind of wildfires!

Good POST;.................thanks a ton!
xxxxxxxxxxxxoooo
mama

Fires don't move well through houses. That's why only the outside ones burn. Fire moves through wilderness just fine, but not houses. Often, one house will burn, and it's neighbor will be untouched. Wood with paint on, tile roof, stucco - not a lot that a spark will like. It needs to be a full fledged flame to catch.

This is all about environmental differences. If we had normal rainfall, the brush wouldn't be this dry. If not for the highly unusual long and strong Santa Ana, the fires would have been controllable on Sunday.

JBean - looks like you've still got good air - that's nice!

OOPS

I would have paid the Bail:D

YOU got it all right Details. I know that we're been expecting something like this....but when it comes, we're still into not beliving it will happen.

We have too damn much new cookie cutter housing.....like my dad said years ago, well maybe 50 yrs ago.............you'll never see the Orange groves again Louise.........We'd be on the way to Los Angeles on the OLD Coast 2 lane Hiway in a 1936 Chevy! Boy, I sure didn't realize what he was talking about! .........I was only five. Now I do!

If a fire doesn't have a house next to it to jump to..........then fire may burn out. Maybe not..........just telling you that years ago, we NEVER had these kind of wildfires!

Good POST;.................thanks a ton!
xxxxxxxxxxxxoooo
mama
LM, the video of the Oakland Hills fire will make a believer out of anyone. I can still remember the flames blowing directly across the entire street as the fire climbed the hills:

The Oakland Firestorm of 1991 was a large urban fire that occurred in the hillsides of northern Oakland, California and southeastern Berkeley on Sunday October 20, 1991, almost exactly two years after the Loma Prieta earthquake. The fire has also been called the Oakland hills firestorm, the East Bay Hills Fire, and the Tunnel Fire (because of its origin above the west portal of the Caldecott Tunnel) in Oakland. The fire ultimately killed 25 people and injured 150 others. The 1,520 acres (6.2 km²) destroyed included 2,843 single-family dwellings and 437 apartment and condominium units. The economic loss has been estimated at $1.5 billion.[1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288