Something's gotta' give ...

I listen to the Durham news daily, and read the Herald Sun daily, and have not seen anything. I am thinking of contacting the media from a neighborhood prospective, only a few blocks away, and trying to get some info. The women of my neighborhood talk about this occasionally, and one said she thought she heard that they decided it was not random. I do not recall hearing that at all. I feel all Durham citizens deserve an update on this.
I just read in the paper, that they found a body on Dukes East campus, 22 yo, non student, but parents and step parents are all Profs. at Duke, it seems like there are a lot of murders here, but that many of them are solved fairly quickly. A lot are gang related, but not in Janet's neighborhood. In light of the screw ups with Michael Peterson, maybe they are making sure all their ducks are in a row, but almost a year and nothing??
On another note, I drove past the house yesterday, it is occupied, and a lot of trees have been removed. A big black dog was in the fenced yard. Made me feel really sad and angry about all this.

caffeinatd said:
The women of my neighborhood talk about this occasionally, and one said she thought she heard that they decided it was not random. I do not recall hearing that at all. I feel all Durham citizens deserve an update on this.
All along, the police have been saying things like "we've found nothing to indicate that this was a random crime". And while that wording allows them some wiggle room, I believe that they do indeed think that Raven is the perp. I truly believe this since they were still making the "not random" statements just a couple of months back (even in the press release about the reward), and still interviewing people in a place where Raven is known to have gone 9 months or more after the murder. (Clarification: LE was interviewing there 9 months or more after the murder - I have no idea when Raven was last there.) I too hope that it's a ducks-in-a-row issue but I must confess that I have become worried after all of this time. Not that LE doesn't know who did it but that they don't have enough to convict Raven yet - at least not a conviction that would guarantee a complete life behind bars. :(

I am glad to hear that Janet's sad case still gets talked about there once in a while, and that people haven't just completely forgotten about her.

JG, I am also glad that people have not forgotten about Janet and that people are still talking about the case. I think the Vigil is a great way to get more people talking about it and perhaps someone that does have information, no matter how minor they feel it is, decides to come forward when they see the flyers that are floating around Durham. Also, for those that did not know Janet, perhaps they seen something fishy or some advocate of sometype personally starts getting involved in Durham.

It's hard since most of us live out of State to gauge the pulse of the people who live in Durham, and maybe the attention this vigil will bring will start bringing more people out of the woodwork that heard something, seen something and it would be great if this got some National Exposure just in case people moved.

I believe myself it is a ducks in a row and it is going to take time. I'm sad it's taken this long, but knowing enough law enforcement in my own family, I know they do not give up.

I hope there is Justice for Janet soon.

I hate to say this, but I get the strange feeling that this case will go the way several others in N.C. have gone. It's eerie, but there have been several spousal murders in N.C. where the murdering wife/hubby wasn't arrested and charged until a 2nd spouse came up dead in similar circumstances. Think "the other" Peterson, Barbara Stager, and the false teeth king (I can't think of his name) who also ran an ice cream shop and lived in Greensboro and the black widow who I'm also having a hard time remembering her name. Several years down the road when Raven remarries and wife no. 2 begins to get in his way and she suddenly turns up dead after a "break-in" - they'll connect the dots and he'll eventually pay. And some other poor unfortunate family will bury their daughter and then they can thank the prosecutors for allowing this monster to slide from their grips - because I don't think it's L.E. holding up the train. I think it's the prosecutors who are reluctant to file charges for some reason.

P.S. What in the world is wrong with my memory??!!! The black widow is on death row. She used arsenic to poison husbands, boyfriends, and her own dad in all probability. She lived or worked in Greensboro also.

The local BW was Blanche Taylor Moore, lived between Burlington and Greensboro I think...

less0305 said:
I hate to say this, but I get the strange feeling that this case will go the way several others in N.C. have gone. It's eerie, but there have been several spousal murders in N.C. where the murdering wife/hubby wasn't arrested and charged until a 2nd spouse came up dead in similar circumstances. Think "the other" Peterson, Barbara Stager, and the false teeth king (I can't think of his name) who also ran an ice cream shop and lived in Greensboro and the black widow who I'm also having a hard time remembering her name. Several years down the road when Raven remarries and wife no. 2 begins to get in his way and she suddenly turns up dead after a "break-in" - they'll connect the dots and he'll eventually pay. And some other poor unfortunate family will bury their daughter and then they can thank the prosecutors for allowing this monster to slide from their grips - because I don't think it's L.E. holding up the train. I think it's the prosecutors who are reluctant to file charges for some reason.

P.S. What in the world is wrong with my memory??!!! The black widow is on death row. She used arsenic to poison husbands, boyfriends, and her own dad in all probability. She lived or worked in Greensboro also.
Death Row Granny is Velma Barfield. After two marraiges ended with the death of her husbands, by 1977 Barfield was in a relationship with Stuart Taylor, who was a widower and tobacco farmer.

Barfield later confessed to the 1974 murder of her own mother (in whose name she had taken out a loan) and of two elderly people, John Henry Lee (by whom she was being paid as a housekeeper/caregiver) and Dollie Edwards (a relative of Stuart Taylor). Velma always attended the funerals of her victims and appeared to grieve genuinely for them. The body of her late husband, Thomas Barfield, was later exhumed and also found to contain traces of arsenic. Velma denied that she had killed him. Her motives for these four murders were the same. She had misappropriated money from her victims and then according to her, tried to make them ill so she could nurse them whilst finding another job to enable her to repay the money. Needless to say, the jury was less than impressed by this defense.

Barfield gained notoriety as the "Death Row Granny," becoming the first woman to be executed in the U.S. since 1962, and the first since the reinstatement of the death penalty in 1976.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Barbara Stager - At 6:08 a.m. on February 1st, 1988, the police in Durham, North Carolina got the call that a man had been shot. Barbara Sanger told officers the gun her husband kept under his pillow accidentally fired and shot him in the head. According to friends, coworkers and family members, Barbara was a devoted wife, mother and Christian. It became clear Sanger was not the gentle, caring woman she seemed. The accident was a cold-blooded murder and not Barbara's first. Barbara's first husband died of a gunshot wound.

[/font]Fritz Klenner became the serial murderer that killed the Newson and Lynch Families.

Well I think perhaps its time to start writing to the Governor, who I believe is serving his last term along with the Attorney General and see if some laws can be changed and see if they have anything to say about the percentage of Serial Murderers that slip away unnoticed until another death occurs.

Governor Michael F. Easley
Office of the Governor
20301 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-0301
Telephone Number: 1-919-733-4240 or 1-919-733-5811
Facsimile: 1-919-715-3175 or 1-919-733-2120

Attorney General Roy Cooper
Office of the Attorney General
P. O. Box 629
Raleigh, NC 27602-0629
Telephone Number: 1-919-821-0404
Facsimile: 1-919-716-0803

:laugh:Velma denied that she had killed him. Her motives for these four murders were the same. She had misappropriated money from her victims and then according to her, tried to make them ill so she could nurse them whilst finding another job to enable her to repay the money. Needless to say, the jury was less than impressed by this defense. :doh: Doh! Ya think?

caffeinatd said:
The local BW was Blanche Taylor Moore, lived between Burlington and Greensboro I think...
You are so right Caffeinatd!

Women on Death Row - Blanche Moore

Criminal Profile

From Charles Montaldo,
Your Guide to Crime / Punishment.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
General Information:
  • Date of Birth - 2/17/1933
  • Date of Offense - 10/7/1986
  • Age at Time of Offense - 56
  • Prior Prison Record - None
  • Location of Crime - Alamance County, North Carolina
  • Co-defendants - None
  • Race and Gender of Victim - White male
Crime Committed: In 1989, police began investigating Moore after her second husband, Rev. Dwight Moore, became ill with suspicious symptoms. A doctor ordered toxic testing and determined his illness was from arsenic poisoning. He somehow survived the ingestion of large amount of poison over a week’s time. The police became suspicious of Moore, and asked that the bodies of Moore's former boyfriend, Raymond Reid, and James N. Taylor, her first husband, who died 1973, be exhumed. It was determined that both men died of arsenic poisoning. Moore's father, P.D. Kiser, also died of symptoms similar to those that occur with arsenic poisoning.

Moore was convicted for the murder of her boyfriend, Raymond Reid and received the death penalty.

Speculators say Moore killed the men in her life because of a deep seeded hate of her alcoholic father that forced her into prostitution to help pay the family bills.

Source: North Carolina Department of Correction

Velma Barfield is also from North Carolina.

She was executed on November 2, 1984 at the Central Prison in Raleigh, North Carolina for the murder of yet another victim, Stuart Taylor, her boyfriend and a relative of Dollie Edwards. Fearing he found out that she had been forging checks on his account, she mixed an arsenic-based rat poison into his beer and tea. He died on February 3, 1978 while she tried to "nurse" him back to health; an autopsy found arsenic in Taylor's system. After her arrest, the body of Thomas Barfield was exhumed and found to have traces of arsenic.

She was pronounced dead at precisely 2:15 am.

less0305 said:

Unfortunately I think you are right. A murderer will walk free until he kills again.

caffeinatd said:

That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks! I had forgotten about Velma, though.

And the man from Greensboro - I still can't remember his name. He drowned his first wife in a bathtub...said she was drinking that night and must have slid under while taking a bath. Moved to Pennsylvania, I believe, and second wife drowned in a hot tub....said she was drinking that night. He was really stooooopid. He's serving time now but I can't remember if it's in NC or PA.

less0305 said:
That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks! I had forgotten about Velma, though.

And the man from Greensboro - I still can't remember his name. He drowned his first wife in a bathtub...said she was drinking that night and must have slid under while taking a bath. Moved to Pennsylvania, I believe, and second wife drowned in a hot tub....said she was drinking that night. He was really stooooopid. He's serving time now but I can't remember if it's in NC or PA.
I looked on the web...ugh, I didn't rememeber this one, Tim Boczkowski, he is in Central prison..for life...this is a link to an add he posted..sicko
http://writeaprisoner.com/TemplateDisplay.aspx?i=z-ea3797

There is actually a site dedicated to personal ads for prisoners? That is horribly sick! But you know what's even more sick? I bet you money that once Raven is behind bars, he'll have an ad up on that site before you know it.

Jenifred said:
There is actually a site dedicated to personal ads for prisoners? That is horribly sick! But you know what's even more sick? I bet you money that once Raven is behind bars, he'll have an ad up on that site before you know it.
roflmao - Loves to ride bikes, and loves sports and soccer and will recite poetry bwaaahaaaaaa.

I went to the DPD web tonight http://www.durhampolice.com/news/This is interesting, Janet's murder is not even on the web for last April. I really think they have forgotten this. I do see that there is a big gap on the site, so maybe i am overreacting, but strikes me wrong. They do not even have the reward on there. :(

caffeinatd said:
I went to the DPD web tonight http://www.durhampolice.com/news/This is interesting, Janet's murder is not even on the web for last April. I really think they have forgotten this. I do see that there is a big gap on the site, so maybe i am overreacting, but strikes me wrong. They do not even have the reward on there. :(
I think it's been that way for awhile now. I remember searching that a long time ago and seeing that it hadn't been counted. I think it's more of an image thing--kind of like they don't want it to be public knowledge that there is a murderer running free. I guess the fact that the murderer is in Utah eases their consciences.

caffeinatd said:
Okay actually it was not there, there was one listing for April, one for August and then fast forward to November.

I wrote to them, and they were Updating their website. One day I looked and saw it - and it had all the press releases. There was one on April 27, 2006 and then an update later that day, then again in May and then the one for the Reward. I know others saw it too, because someone at ltu put it on their site in the Janet Web Links and now those links don't work.

Then I went back again to check and it was back to the one on April again, but for a few days there was about 20 news releases for April about that many for May, June, July, August, and it's gone now.

I wrote again to Durham PD and have not heard any response from them.

..it IS odd, the durham police have a SINGLE entry for the entire month of april 2005..(and it's not related to janet's death )....compared to approx. 46 entries for march 2005......

..clicking around the archives of the last year bring up mostly 'dead' links......

..if they have up-dated their site recently:

a). they did a very poor job.
b). i'd fire whoever was responsible for the up-date.

What I find more interesting Laurie is that though for such a long time they had that only single entry for April, when they updated their website on January 11, 2006, there were over 20 entries for April 2005, two of them were on Janet.

Here are the "Original Links" that were on the Durham PD Website as of January 11, 2006. Sometime a few days later, they were taken down and back to the one original PDF for April 2005 again and the April and May on Janet are now gone, along with ALL the other pdf's that were there at one time for April, May, June, July and now they are back to only one August again, which there were tons in August too for a few days.

These were all "PDF's"

Original Media Release by Durham Police Department - http://www.durhampolice.com/media/2005/apr_27_05_01.pdf

Updated Media Release later that same day on April 27, 2005 -
http://www.durhampolice.com/media/2005/apr_27_05_02.pdf

Then on May 2nd there was another entry on Janet:
http://www.durhampolice.com/media/2005/may_02_05_01.pdf

Now on January 24, 2006 there was and still is a the Media Release regarding the Reward.

http://www.durhampolice.com/news/pdf/060124_1.pdf

Do you all notice their format changes on the way they "name" their pdf's.

it used to be called /media/ year here/ date may _ 02 _ 05 _ 01.pdf

now they are calling it "news"/pdf/ and doing year first 06, month, 01, date 24_ and the number of which release goes out first -1.pdf

I noticed that all March's formats are now in the new format - the one April is in the new format of
http://www.durhampolice.com/news/pdf/050402_1.pdf

I do know for this whole website has been revamped. Perhaps the Web Personell for the Police Department are going in and rechanging their pdf names slowly to reflect the new changes in how they "name" their files and now have to re-upload them online.

Also, in January they implemented a new email addressing system for their police department. Since I used to visit the site often, there was a blurb to people that the Police Department has implemented a new email system and there was a brief explanation as to how to email these employees.

The new policy as first name . last name @durhamnc.gov as opposed to the other way they did it.

yes, i did notice when they "up-dated" their site, as i've checked in there often............

..although, as far as janet's case goes, it seems that they have "un-dated "the links ,regarding her murder............i recall that there were a few before..........and now just that one little article from january ...

..with an open case, unsolved, i just wonder why they would remove the previous links ?you would thnk they'd want all possible out there, on their own very site, to jog public memory...

..with what we've seen ( in the public ) from durham LE-------and the lack of anything on their site...............as well as the fiasco going on in the DA area................i'm honestly worried that this will become a "cold case"-------------one of those that the media, LE, the DA ,just has nothing super concrete on and so is moving on to something "better"........(more newsworthy? more current?) it IS sickening if that is the criteria upon which the DA views a case.........

..i still have hopes that the candlelight vigil at the end of the month will raise/re-awaken awareness.............the DA, past, present, or future, has no right to over-look this murder, they owe it to the very citizens that they serve to pursue justice.

...why has it taken almost a full year to make an arrest??? could the campaigning and DA election be taking so much of their focus that they are not putting together prosecution for this murder ?

..personally, i'd like to hear just one of the candidates mention this case by name...........from what i've read so far----------i think they would all say, "ummm..who ?"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back