South Africa - Martin, 55, Theresa, 54, Rudi van Breda, 22, murdered, 26 Jan 2015 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Marli's condition is stable and she is making good progress - she shows movement on both sides of her body. She is not talking yet but is showing emotions and recognises close family from photographs," family spokesperson Ben Rootman told News24.
Meanwhile, Rootman would not comment on widely reported allegations that Henri is a drug addict and the injuries he sustained in the attack were self-inflicted.
"The case is being investigated by the South African police and any enquiries in this regard must be directed to them.
"Allegations do not add to solving the case and should people have information they should pass this on to the South African police," Rootman said.

Die Son reported on Thursday that police have not had easy access to Henri to question him over the attack, despite having many questions about the incident. He is now staying with family in Gordon's Bay. According to a police source, Henri has a legal team which is limiting access to him.
The source also indicated that Henri showed no sign of being under the influence of drugs when he was questioned by police on the day of the murders.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Trying-times-for-Van-Breda-family-20150219

:facepalm:

Pardon me for being silly, but why does the thread title say 'son held" Henri isn't being held, nor to my knowledge has he been held at all for these brutal murders!

Surely they have some kind of evidence, prints on the axe, cctv showing nobody enter or left the complex around the time of the murders, him being the only surviving and uninjured member of the family, that means he could be arrested!

They must have a pretty good idea it was him, since they won't let him see Marli so as not to traumatise her!

Very perculiar case!

Axe attack survivor Henri van Breda's injuries were self-inflicted. And he only called emergency services four hours after his brother and parents were murdered.
This week, sources close to the police investigation revealed that the official police injury form completed by the doctor who examined Henri after the murders states that the scratches and bruises on his arms were "self-inflicted".
It has also emerged that the murders took place on the exclusive De Zalze estate at about 3am. Henri called emergency services at 7.30am.

Marli's fragile emotional state and her physical condition have so far prevented police from taking a statement. Sources said that once her statement was taken, an arrest would be made.
Nurses have put up photos of her family on the walls of her room. Sources said she cried when she looked at them.
But, sources said, there were no pictures of Henri on the wall.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2015/02/08/shock-twist-in-stellenbosch-axe-killings1

Henri must have thought Marli was dead when he finally called emergency services 4 hours after the attack.

I cannot imagine the pain this girl must be going through, her brother is the family annihilator. :cry:

I don't understand why he isn't held in custody and a psychological assessment made. What if Marli didn't make a full recovery to give a statement? Henri chose his weapons so he could kill them without disturbance from his neighbours. I'm sure he has access to guns, but an ax is a silent weapon. JMO

Hi are there anymore updates on this tragedy and the son? How are you sourcing these links? I use Google but I can never find anything online up to date? Any tips appreciated (I not a good Sleuther yet)

Son held after Perth family slaughtered in South Africa axe attack

2901_perthfamily_sp.ashx

Martin van Breda, 55, his wife Theresa, 54, and son Rudi, 22, were found dead at their home.

Three members of a Perth family have reportedly been murdered with an axe at their luxury South African home.
Daughter Marli, 16, is in a critical condition, while another son, Henri, 20, was slightly injured.
South African media have reported the victims were killed with an axe, and son Henri is assisting police with inquiries.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-perth-family-in-s-africa#bhHgqIUmxzzrrA1M.99

Am I allowed to say that the individual on the left has issues. I am not a Dr of any kind but I can look at that one and say with certainty that he has/had issues, it's in his face. jmo idk

Hi are there anymore updates on this tragedy and the son? How are you sourcing these links? I use Google but I can never find anything online up to date? Any tips appreciated (I not a good Sleuther yet)

Sorry anxietyqueen, not getting back to you. :) Thanks to colette for answering. :)

Marli van Breda 'knows her family is in heaven'

"She misses her family a lot," said a family statement issued on Tuesday. They said she "looks very good and the wounds have almost healed completely". She has not been able to make a statement to police yet.
Police handed the house back to the family on 28 February.
Nobody has been taken into custody yet.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Marli-van-Breda-knows-her-family-is-in-heaven-20150304

and if Marli can't identify her attacker, what happens then?

The police haven't issued a warning that 2 or 3 madmen are on the loose. Henri is all lawyered up and receiving care and support for the 'tragic incident' he 'witnessed'??!!!

Oscar Pistorius killing Reeva was also described as a 'tragic incident'. :banghead:

What will be Henri's defense I wonder? :thinking:

CONCERNED PUBLIC SHOW SUPPORT FOR MARLI VAN BREDA

GetimageasJpeg

SOMERSET WEST – Concerned members of the public are showing support for Marli van Breda who survived a family axe murder attack in Stellenbosch.
Deedee Hunter says they’re here for one reason, to celebrate the teenager’s recovery so far.
“I’m here in support of uplifting Marli and her family at this time because it was a tragedy.”

http://ewn.co.za/2015/03/07/Concerned-public-show-support-for-Marli-van-Breda

NPA to decide on Van Breda suspect

Though the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has received the murder docket on the attack on the Van Breda family for a decision on whether to prosecute, they have not revealed whether there is an identified suspect or suspects.

Marli van Breda, the teenager who survived an axe attack, has been discharged from hospital to a rehabilitation facility, Beeld newspaper reported on Tuesday.

http://citizen.co.za/341052/npa-to-decide-on-van-breda-suspect/

O h Geeezzzz.......will they arrest the surviving son already. Come on....:no:

Murder docket. That's just horrible. That gives me the creeps!

NPA to decide on Van Breda suspect

Though the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has received the murder docket on the attack on the Van Breda family for a decision on whether to prosecute, they have not revealed whether there is an identified suspect or suspects.

Marli van Breda, the teenager who survived an axe attack, has been discharged from hospital to a rehabilitation facility, Beeld newspaper reported on Tuesday.

http://citizen.co.za/341052/npa-to-decide-on-van-breda-suspect/

BBM

No contact between Marli and Henri van Breda - report

Cape Town - Stellenbosch axe murder survivor Marli van Breda, 16, is making steady progress at a Cape Town rehabilitation centre, and her brother, Henri, is being kept away from her, according to a report.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/No-contact-between-Marli-and-Henri-van-Breda-report-20150316

If her were truly a victim, they would have reunited them so they could heal and grieve together. Keeping them apart speaks volumes, imo. I don't understand the reluctance to charge this kid.

If her were truly a victim, they would have reunited them so they could heal and grieve together. Keeping them apart speaks volumes, imo. I don't understand the reluctance to charge this kid.

Is it normal in this country to take this long to charge someone? That first link is dated Jan 29!!! Is it because he's a minor or is this standard? It worries me that he could somehow get to the sister.
Kate

I've been following this story since I first read about it back in January and am in total shock that this kid hasn't been arrested yet...my first thought was that he was involved due to his lack of injuries.

He said he was knocked out cold...would there be any way to verify this at the time? I assume a knock to the head that caused you to lose conciousness would at least leave some kind of mark/lump??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak