South Africa - Martin, 55, Theresa, 54, Rudi van Breda, 22, murdered, 26 Jan 2015 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
What damage found on axe showing it was used on the scene, Galloway asks.

Important for her to understand how the axe was manufactured as well as the damages that she saw when examining it.

On the blade area, on the top part of the blade, there is damage to the "nose" [top part of the blade edge] - a little nick in the metal.

Metal was basically folded, she explained.

To the left side, almost like mushroom effect. Lower down that area on the same side, a void area was observed under the nick.

After she cleaned it, that void area - grey and white in appearance - was no longer visible, she said.

On the other side of blade, she noticed some scrapings off the head of the axe on the green paint.

Chip marks at the rear pole area (blunt side).

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/live-van-breda-axe-murder-trial-day-25-20170612

Advocate B- now we know what the Captain is saying in the context of her findings as she hasn't given detail on her conclusion
Advocate Botha: I need to take instructions from my witness so can we stand down till 10am tomorrow

https://twitter.com/Traceyams

Did he not know this evidence was coming? What a d***

Judge Desai, reasonable to request a stand down to get instructions from your expert
Adv B: can we address you tomorrow on the issue of W.O Nel
Adv G: At this stage the state has no further witnesses available for tomorrow
The blood splatter witnesses DNA experts etc. Wont be available this week so we should pp to 7 August 2017 after tomorrow

Judge Desai: Case will be pp very shortly until the court is available

PP to tomorrow at 10am for Brown's cross examination and the section 212 application to call W.O Nel

https://twitter.com/Traceyams

It's outrageous that Botha doesn't have his expert sitting in court listening to the testimony of the State's expert witnesses. Even in OP the defence did that. These are just delaying tactics to give Botha more time to work out how he can undermine an excellent witness.

Another half day plus wasted.

Who's he got, Roger - the instruments I used were my eyes - Dixon?

It's outrageous that Botha doesn't have his expert sitting in court listening to the testimony of the State's expert witnesses. Even in OP the defence did that. These are just delaying tactics to give Botha more time to work out how he can undermine an excellent witness.

I, too, think it is intentional. Keeps HvB out of jail a bit longer. Looks as though 7th August is when the case will restart.

I, too, think it is intentional. Keeps HvB out of jail a bit longer. Looks as though 7th August is when the case will restart.

I've been thinking about this delay a bit more, and actually for the first time I'm grateful, really grateful. Since we now have to wait until 7 August, eight weeks, I'd much prefer to have the most important State witnesses immediately before the defence starts. This will have a lot more impact and really unnerve HvB ... and Botha.

I think he might do a runner. Things aren't going his way and since his witness statement was admitted into evidence I think he knows he lost the case then. Why would he care about bail money, it's not as if it's his own money.

Did B. do this in the Dewani case? I don't recall but I didn't pay close attention to most of the trial?

Did B. do this in the Dewani case? I don't recall but I didn't pay close attention to most of the trial?

That case was wholly different. I think the judge showed she was against the state from the beginning. She kept ruling evidence inadmissible and ridiculing the state advocates by shouting at them. It wasn't long before she threw it out of court.

I've been thinking about this delay a bit more, and actually for the first time I'm grateful, really grateful. Since we now have to wait until 7 August, eight weeks, I'd much prefer to have the most important State witnesses immediately before the defence starts. This will have a lot more impact and really unnerve HvB ... and Botha.

I don't doubt you're right about that JJ, but even so, what I think about Botha - no point in saying it when it would only put a mod to the bother of removing it! :gaah:

I think he might do a runner. Things aren't going his way and since his witness statement was admitted into evidence I think he knows he lost the case then. Why would he care about bail money, it's not as if it's his own money.

That's what people thought about OP. HvB had to hand over his passport. Any pilot who took him out of the country won't be going back to SA any time soon unless he wants to spend jail time with him. :)

If anyone is looking for something to do over the next 8 weeks, could I suggest you have a look at the Christopher Panayiotou trial. I can't tell you how exciting today was. I've given all the updates from today plus a post that directs you to several links which will bring you up-to-date with what it's all about. You won't have to start at the beginning. If you do choose to follow it, don't read any of the trial within a trial because you'll be bored to sobs. CP is 100% guilty, but the dramas of today are something else. Here's the link to the thread.

I hope some of you join in the thread. I've been the only one posting there for some time, and I think that's largely because the trial within a trial was too much to bear, even for me.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...nayiotou-28-Port-Elizabeth-21-Apr-2015/page29

Capt. Brown, a SAPS ballistics expert, has cast a major shadow of doubt over part of HvB’s plea statement. HvB claimed that after a scuffle with an intruder who laughed while slaughtering his family with an axe‚ he (HvB) had thrown the axe down the stairs after wresting it from the attacker. Brown said that an axe being thrown down the stairs appeared “possible but highly unlikely”.

Brown took the court through three impact and damage marks that were found on the walls inside the family home. She was called to the crime scene where she was asked to do a crime scene examination after marks were found on the wall‚ and to also take “scene photography” in preparation for an analysis.

“There were three deep markings on the wall – one on the top landing where the bodies were found‚ one on the middle landing of the staircase‚ and one near the front door of the house. The one on the staircase showed signs of such great force that it had ripped a chunk of plaster and cement from the wall‚ exposing the brick beneath”.

Brown said that when an axe is flying through the air‚ and Newton’s laws of movement are applied‚ it is “highly unlikely” such a deep impact mark would have resulted. She said it would have “decelerated in velocity and speed” and “would only have had a quarter chance of hitting the plaster with the sharpened edge of the axe” (as it could also have hit on the top‚ the back‚ or the handle). Since the brick was exposed‚ the axe would have had to work its way through about 15mm of plaster first to expose the brick.

Adv. Susan Galloway asked‚ “Would you describe it as a very hard blow?”

Brown said yes‚ and therefore one unlikely to be caused by an axe being thrown rather than held during the blow.

http://www.heraldlive.co.za/news/20...-casts-doubt-henri-van-bredas-version-events/

Oh yes, undermining witnesses is Botha's specialty, this one may be a little more difficult!

Slowly but surely HvB's whole account is discredited and Botha is obviously delaying HvB's verdict and incarceration! It's outrageous in the extreme considering he's not in jail awaiting the outcome!
I can't believe the time limit allocated for this trial too, it should have been set at mid July, at the very least. All I can think of is that the evidence was deemed so strong that the trial wouldn't exceed 6-8 weeks.
But Botha proved that assumption wrong by his cross-examinations which are excruciatingly drawn out to a conclusion he already knows but is playing it up for the Judge. Grandstanding is the term Botha used while denying it but that's what he does basically the entire time he takes the floor!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks