South Hadley,MA Phoebe Prince 15 kills self over bullying #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any lack of political incorrectness in that post must be assigned to the Trailer Park Boys...

They corrupted me....

finished the job the Monty Python began...in my youth.

Seriously tho, I apologize for any offense....I was joking....I sincerely dig Canadians....so much so that I want to replace Mexico with CanadaSouth....have em on both sides.

and I was GLAD ya'll won that Hockey Gold. :)

Oh yeah...off topic.

Just to clear something up, I'm not Canadian, but have *very* close family who are. Irish, well, that goes without saying. :) If there is going to be some team, it should be "Team Phoebe". Not "Pheebz". I think she deserves more respect, don't you? Don't mean to sound flip, but she was a victim here. I find it, if you don't mind my sharing regarding written posts, a bit insensitive. Causes me some pause when I read that. Red flag like....

As far as Monty Python, I am *very* much a fan of theirs. Never heard of the other comedy group. That said, no one can compare to MP. My heroes of comedy. Just say'in. :)

imvho

Boy...IT'S MORPHED even WORSE!

Joy Behar said Phoebe had a self mutilation problem!! NOW...Joy asked, "the cutting happened at home"...."Where was MOM?" OMG!

Some lawyer, some Family member...SOMEONE needs to step up and shut this crap down...man...I'm frustrated. Hearing that said with NO proof! They didn't even read the end of the report where Phoebe says it helped her "comprehend what people close to her" went through...nope...they JUST read the part that makes it sound more sensational, like SHE was a cutter. I'm gonna puke. I never saw such a sorry excuse for journalism! WE have higher standards HERE! HERE someone would have DEMANDED at LEAST a LINK! Gawd...

Some lawyer, some Family member...SOMEONE needs to step up and shut this crap down...man...I'm frustrated. Hearing that said with NO proof! They didn't even read the end of the report where Phoebe says it helped her "comprehend what people close to her" went through...nope...they JUST read the part that makes it sound more sensational. I'm gonna puke. I never saw such a sorry excuse for journalism! WE have higher standards HERE! HERE someone would have DEMANDED at LEAST a LINK! Gawd...

We're not trying for ratings here... I think.

And while they are blowing this stupid essay all out of proportion based on the very LITTLE facts that we know... the more long term damage gets done to Phoebe's reputation. Because these big media sites/shows are NOT going to come back tomorrow even IF an actual Prince family member or representative comes out and denounces this stuff.

Lord knows what the media is going to do when details (or alleged details) of the stat rape charges come out. It will be a stampede to sensationalism no matter what the details are. After all, we've all read the essay and can see EXACTLY how they are cutting bits for a headline.

It's going to get worse.:banghead:

Dr. Phail...I like your posts. How many times do I need to tell you that? ;)

Hurry back...:) And check your pm's...

They simply must have info from the autopsy. Right???

They wouldn't do this........otherwise......I mean without physical EVIDENCE to back this UP.....

right??????

This is what I keep thinking, it's easily refutable. This kind of thing really grinds my gears.

"Oh she was a depressed emo cutter, it was bound to happen". Righty-ho.. :banghead:

She had System of a Down on her iPod, surprised they're not coming out saying she was an anarchist.

Oh Dr Phail, please don't leave I have come to love your posts, they are honest and very entertaining and insightful. Also I can tell you that the volcano cloud has changed direction at the moment so there are plenty of flights leaving Ireland for the US as we speak, would love to hop on one but sadly have to work.

This is what I keep thinking, it's easily refutable. This kind of thing really grinds my gears.

"Oh she was a depressed emo cutter, it was bound to happen". Righty-ho.. :banghead:

She had System of a Down on her iPod, surprised they're not coming out saying she was an anarchist.

oh I'm sure that will happen soon. "see, it's okay she was bullied, she was an emo cutter devil worshiper who liked boys"

Maureen has the BEST and SMARTEST comment on MASSLIVE, IMO! LOL! :) She's responding about Phoebe reading and doing a book report on cutting...

Y'know who I'm worried about?
by MaureenN, 4/21/10 17:35 ET
Re: God Help me.....all of the by MaureenN, 4/21/10
The person who wrote the book about cutting. If Phoebe writing a book report about that book is indication that she was suicidal, can you imagine how messed up the person was who actually wrote the book? I hope s/he is getting support & therapy.
http://www.masslive.com/forums/southhadley/index.ssf

Principal Dan Smith told the town THIS in February...WHAT punishment did Phoebe's tormentors get for all the hell she went through? 1 was suspended for 1 day...
High School Principal Dan Smith reviewed the school’s policy with the crowd. When a student comes forward saying he or she has been bullied or has a problem, Smith and two other administrators sit down the with student and get the facts, he said. They then proceed with an "informal investigation." Depending on each circumstance, various consequences are looked at. Smith said they look to see if mediation between the individuals will help and the parents of those involved are called. Consequences range from a warning to expulsion in front of the school committee to taking criminal action, depending on the situation. Other consequences include detention, Saturday detention, social activities or clubs, external suspension, short-term suspension, medium suspension which lasts between 20 and 25 days and finally long term suspension.
This is the towns newsletter from February...it has much more...
http://www.townreminderonline.com/012910reminder.pdf

Litterbox got credit at Slate! Good for SK...
They are also talking about her book report, again...but this time it's more accurate!
What is clear is that Phoebe was thinking about her family as well as her peers in the months before her death. Lynch writes that for most of her life, Phoebe lived with both of her parents in a hamlet on the coast in County Clare, "in a picturesque house at the back of the cemetery" facing the ocean. But then her parents separated. When Phoebe, her mother, and her younger sister moved to South Hadley, her father and three older siblings stayed behind. Lynch says Phoebe missed her father; I've heard the same thing from people in South Hadley who knew her.

You can feel her wistfulness and the distance between father and daughter in an essay Phoebe wrote for her English class on Oct. 15, three months before her death. (It's online because the blogger The Litterbox, who reports that he found Phoebe's blog on the South Hadley High server, posted it in March.) She's describing "today's values" in "an impersonal electronic society." She writes,...

http://www.slate.com/id/2251645/

Its really difficult for me to accept that the person who wrote these English papers could kill herself. She seems very "in touch" with her emotions and her family, even if her father was in Ireland. I'm trying to imagine what she was thinking in those final moments...what happened to make suicide seem like the only option for her? Why would she do this when a visit with her father was so near?
I'm suspicious....

Its really difficult for me to accept that the person who wrote these English papers could kill herself. She seems very "in touch" with her emotions and her family, even if her father was in Ireland. I'm trying to imagine what she was thinking in those final moments...what happened to make suicide seem like the only option for her? Why would she do this when a visit with her father was so near?
I'm suspicious....
Me, too, shefner. I hate to admit it, though, it makes me feel like everyone thinks I'm nuts. I have to follow my gut, and try and answer the questions I have. Many people in the past have stood up to those who thought they wore tin foil hats...and just sometimes those aluminum lovin' people are right.

And what if, in the 1,000,000th chance there is...something isn't as it appears, as we're told? I'm completely willing to appear nuts for a couple of months while exploring this if there's any chance to right a wrong for Phoebe...I have no pride, that way. Just a conscience that doesn't let me rest.

Have you ever heard that saying: Beauty can be a curse? Not only was Phoebe a beauty externally; she possessed an inner beauty or creativity, which exhibits itself in her writings. I would bet that she also had charm, a lovely voice and was a caring person. In truth, she couldn't help but to be extraordinary in a very callous and coarse American society and most particular teenage American society. Boys would be drawn to her. Girls who were admired possibly for their physical beauty or ability to be trendy would be filled with envy, and instead of choosing to understand or to learn from such a person, chose to destroy her.

Envy, and that is evil.

Phoebe had experienced ongoing abuse and had even gone so far as to describe it unbearable. But she did bear it. Something had to happen, something extraordinary, to cause her to go home and kill herself without any warning to anyone.

Phoebe had experienced ongoing abuse and had even gone so far as to describe it unbearable. But she did bear it. Something had to happen, something extraordinary, to cause her to go home and kill herself without any warning to anyone.

To me since most teenagers are still going through puberty and major changes, maybe her brain could not cope with the consequences of suicide. Adults have better understanding of the consequences of suicide. I think when Ashley Longe threw the can at her, maybe her emotions overtook her and she then did the deed. :twocents:

Oh and Phoebe reminds me of my friend, who is an internalist. My friend usually suffers a lot of pain, but you can't really tell whether she is hurting mainly because she doesn't express her pain that often.

I would love to elaborate on these thoughts but right now I have no time maybe later:(.

Oh and yesterday while I had free time I surfed the blog of her English teacher and came across this dated from April 4 2010. Has this been posted before?

It's been the kind of day that's evocative of summer. Balmy temperatures, neighbors operating lawn-cutting machines. The smell of burning leaves and twigs from a nearby brush fire. I spent much of the day outdoors, patching a divot in the driveway, assembling a shade umbrella for the back porch, and wiping off the deck chairs and table. Physical tasks to quell a restive mind.

A conglomerate of national and international media gathers outside my high school as a DA's investigation into a student's suicide yields charges and arraignment hearings. A school community desperately tries to heal while an impassioned public calls for heads to roll. Slick and self-righteous media figures feign compassion as they grasp at half-truths and call for justice.

It's the story du jour, the outrage of the moment, the latest flaming spectacle. Somewhere under the media light lies nuance and truth. Yet the cameras and microphones pick up simplistic anecdotes, condensed for the masses into 30-second digestible bites. All flash and sensation. Emotion and conviction. We know. We know. We're hundreds of miles away, yet we know. We'll give you your objects of ire. See where our finger points. We're infallible. Omniscience is our coxswain.

Despite the media's barrage, life goes on. Students come to class ready to learn. Their resilience is remarkable. Is learning just a convenient distraction, or is it the nature of the teenage mind to be elastic and malleable, always seeking to absorb a new experience and perspective as world view is created inside expanding neurons?

Existential thoughts color day-to-day interactions. Justice, redemption, remuneration, repudiation. Reactions, accusations, justifications, recalculation.

Next week will bring arraignments and pleas. A community braces. A nation - and a world - awaits.

http://bgenglish.blogspot.com/2010/04/restive-times.html

I don't think it's been posted here...thanks! :)
Personally, I have seen it, at SK's, I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77