South Korea ship sinking - 450 on board, April 2014

This is so tragic.

RT @SkyNews: Vice-Principal Rescued From Ferry Found Hanged http://t.co/PPnVtDPONf

Oh my gosh, this leaves me speechless. He was rescued from the ship then hung himself. The tragedy keeps unfolding.

I can't help but think of this in terms of how upset we would be if only one of those teens had been murdered. Now multiply that by almost 300 teens being killed.

I am not so sure that he is at legal fault, he is a coward and should be shamed but all he did was save his life. something we wish all the children could have. Unless he illegally went into the wrong shipping lanes i just cant see his legal liability

ETA i see his personal liability no problem

I am not so sure that he is at legal fault, he is a coward and should be shamed but all he did was save his life. something we wish all the children could have. Unless he illegally went into the wrong shipping lanes i just cant see his legal liability

ETA i see his personal liability no problem

I read in a link upthread that he may not have been at the helm... But had placed a third level person at the helm, instead...
(sorry... I couldn't find the link readily when looking for it... But it is on this page, I believe)

I wonder if that would constitute criminality?

:dunno:

Sometimes it is better to disregard what the authorities are telling you,the 911 operators told people to stay put in the first tower.

I agree. When I was fresh out of college I worked in the advertising department in a retail department store. One day we were told to evacuate our offices on the 3rd floor and were directed up to the 6th floor employee cafeteria. After waiting two hours, we were able to return to our desks. Once there, we found out that someone had called and said there was a bomb in the executive offices - located on the 3rd floor right next to the advertising department, directly below the cafeteria where we sat! I was livid -- why didn't they evacuate us outside of the building? They didn't even evacuate the store - just the 3rd floor!

These young people on tho ferry would have listened to the authorities just as they would listen to their teachers and school principal - thus, most of them never had a chance. By the time they realized they needed to get up on the deck, it was too late. The captain and crew of that vessel had failed them!

What a disgrace - the captain is a coward and should be held responsible.

I'm not sure exactly what S. Korea's laws are, but the below statement by their coast guard said the captain faces negligence and violating a law that governs the conduct of shipping. I read another article that said the captain should not abandon ship UNTIL all passengers are safe. I know sometimes it would be impossible to be sure ALL passengers are taken care of, but heck, this guy was one of the first off the ship and more than 1/2 the passengers never got off!

This is the second captain we've seen with hundreds or thousands of lives in their care, turn out to be cowards and causing unnecessary loss of life. I believe they said there was only 1 life boat used. Why?

It's heartbreaking to see the parents on the shore, wreathing in anguish. :(

JMHO
fran

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-disaster-captain-abandoned-sinking-ship.html

A coast guard official said the captain faced possible charges of negligence leading to death and violating a law that governs the conduct of shipping crew.

...The captain and crew told those kids to stay put and then ran to save their own skins. I just keep imagining the horrible scenarios involving their last futile attempts to keep their heads above water, knowing they were going to drown....

Another case of a lily-livered Captain like Costa Concordia's Schettino who jumped ship and left passengers to fend for themselves :stormingmad:

Praying for the people on the ship; their family and loved ones. Such a huge tragedy.

Oh my gosh, this leaves me speechless. He was rescued from the ship then hung himself. The tragedy keeps unfolding.

I can't help but think of this in terms of how upset we would be if only one of those teens had been murdered. Now multiply that by almost 300 teens being killed.

According to the link below; sounds like parents were blaming him

Think the captain will be put to death for his actions/nonactions!

Bless her heart... I wonder if the vice principal was having breakfast with the captain when it happened. I cannot believe they told them to stay where they were and not abandon ship. Yet, the crew was told to abandon ship. This is so heartbreaking.

I am praying for miracles! This is the time of year for miracles.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back