Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by FrostOwl, Nov 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wyle_E_Coyote

Wyle_E_Coyote Northern Virginia

Yes, the original statements were a bit different.

UK woman who has travelled Europe for six years goes missing in Pyrenees

“She always tried to keep in touch but sometimes on her hikes was out of contact for a couple of days,” he said.

2. Officer Dibble

Officer Dibble Well-Known Member

I must have forgotten that. Thank you.

Flicka1, patCee and Kaykedi like this.
  3. Wyle_E_Coyote

This was posted before, I'm reposting in case anyone missed it or didn't bother look at it.

sport passion philippe: Randonnée Pic de Sauvegarde (2738m)

There are pictures as well as a video. The video in particular I found helpful in getting a feel for what the trail and landscape is actually like.

I would not want to be hiking there as it was getting dark. (Parts would be scary even in broad daylight.)

IHAVENOCLUE, Zazie, otto and 10 others like this.
  4. patCee

patCee Well-Known Member

I tend to lean to your way of thinking. I'm pretty sure DC also knows knows that outcome is highly possible, but understandably it's too distressing for him to acknowledge it out loud at this stage. Plus he hopes the searches will continue, and that more information is forthcoming. It's also possible that the authorities have more information than they are revealing at this stage.

Sjm_qc, IHAVENOCLUE, Flicka1 and 6 others like this.
  5. Officer Dibble

Officer Dibble Well-Known Member

Are you saying the businessman or his grandson could have given her Covid and she has become unwell with it - maybe she extended her hike then how ever many days later she went down with Covid but had also run out of battery power for mobile?

6. Wyle_E_Coyote

I don't think covid has been brought up, but I think it is definitely plausible she could have picked it up on her travels. What a nightmare... On a mountain in the middle of nowhere and you get severely ill. A high fever can easily lead to dehydration and poor decisions, not to mention exhaustion, difficulty breathing when you're already at a higher altitude with lower oxygen levels.

7. Sarahlou

Sarahlou Well-Known Member

I just don't buy that this was a voluntary disappearance. I think accident is most likely. But it's certainly a puzzling case.

NoSI, Niner, jamjim and 8 others like this.
  8. Grouse

Grouse Well-Known Member

It may not have been of international interest but it certainly was at national level. It was linked on the main BBC site, not just hidden in the local news for Durham area.

I don't live in that area but I read the story with great interest (and a tad of envy I must admit) on the 22nd. I'd say that was the reason the story of her going missing later grabbed my attention so much, and indeed ended up with me registering on Websleuths.

9. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

I meant that the blog itself wouldn’t (and didn’t) have a plethora of followers, as it’s quite niche. I also saw the article before I knew Esther was missing.

Sjm_qc, IHAVENOCLUE, jamjim and 9 others like this.
  10. Grouse

Grouse Well-Known Member

Snipped for focus and BBM - I agree, that is a point I have been making, someone could easily have been going up from that side that the skier wit would not have been aware of.

11. Grouse

Grouse Well-Known Member

She may have, but I don't see how she would come to have been in such a position like that as to have to abandon the loop trek, which was to be her last outing before heading back to Dan. She'd made loads of these multi day trips over the previous month, why would she set out on the finale without enough water?

Also the weather was good (unlike 19th)so no reason to change her plans based on that.

12. Grouse

Grouse Well-Known Member

Ah OK, I thought you meant the BBC article, which was linked to in the post you were responding to.

13. Davidovsky

Davidovsky Member

Does Dan Colegate have an alibi for the period between the 22nd (date of last contact) and the 25th (date of missing person report)?
    Esther told Ballerin that she was heading to Bagneres de Luchon, which is only 40 minutes drive from Arreau. Obviously the least distressing outcomes are being considered first, but as there has been no progress I'm surprised if there has been no enquiry about this.
    (This is my first post here - I'm not sure of the etiquette... are we allowed to address all possibilities frankly?)

14. Grouse

Grouse Well-Known Member

Hi. Yes I believe his movements are fully accounted for.

Sjm_qc, jamjim, Flicka1 and 5 others like this.
  15. Grouse

Grouse Well-Known Member

It's interesting if you got that vibe from the article, before her going missing. I honestly didn't get that at all. I recall having a slight feeling of "might be too good to be true" but I put that down to a little bit of envy the article evoked.

jamjim, Rhomal, momsof3 and 5 others like this.
  16. patCee

patCee Well-Known Member

Whatever the different views about their blog, both ED and DC are intelligent, realistic people who are, experienced people in life, and in particular hiking. I do not believe they are naive. I note his objection to being referred to as the 'boyfriend', that to him, especially at this time, could imply they are less of a couple, when they are long term life partners and he has a strong emotional investment in this situation. With this in mind I find it interesting that he is dismissing the more obvious fates that could have befallen ED. So I'm wondering what more information they have that is not being released, as it could interfere with the official investigations.

IHAVENOCLUE, momsof3, Flicka1 and 6 others like this.
  17. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

I think it's understandable that someone in that situation is struggling with intense emotions of fear and loss, and cannot be in a position to clinically and coldly examine the facts like an outsider can.

Sjm_qc, IHAVENOCLUE, Puzzles and 6 others like this.
  18. patCee

patCee Well-Known Member

I agree to some extent, and in many cases it is to be expected. However with the lifestyle they have lived for years, and survived both practically and as a couple, they have needed to be realistic. Their blog indicates they have been open about their strengths and weaknesses. I would think DC knows exactly how ED functions in most situations. Where there are extreme levels of stress many people can separate emotions from practical realities, and their lives so far seem to have embodied those skills.
    I would add that many people when stressed function mainly in their head, because emotions are too painful at particular times.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  19. PeggyHenry

PeggyHenry Well-Known Member

I dont believe anyone has officially been 'cleared' as a suspect. People are being interviewed as witnesses at this stage of course.

20. PeggyHenry

PeggyHenry Well-Known Member

No, not at all.. it's just another aspect that I hadn't considered.. in that it was lockdown and although Esther was receiving lifts, anyone giving her a lift was actually breaking lockdown rules. I'm sure that in that situation e.g. mountainous, hiking environment, the lockdown rules were not in the forefront of people's minds and it would look a bit unkind to actually drive by a hiker. Just another part of this huge puzzle (and I dont say puzzle lightly - I'm aware this is someone's life we're discussing)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.