GUILTY Spain - Rebecca, 5, & Daniel Smith, 11 mos, suffocated, Lloret de Mar, 17 May 2010

I havent seen anything on WS yet (seldom do on cases from the EU anyways), there were reports yesterday of the murders, the details werent released until today.

from link here

I am absolutely fascinated and sick at her reasoning. they would certainly been taken away! she didnt seem to worried about their welfare as she knew he was a pedophile! I wonder what that little girl would have told!?

rest in peace, little ones.

She wouldn't have killed her children unless they could implicate her, or maybe not. Was there any evidence that the children had been assaulted or could implicate her? If they had never been assaulted, then it doesn't really make any sense that she murdered her children unless she was so horrified by what her husband was that she didn't want to perpetuate his genes. I guess she preferred to go down for murder than as a couple of monsters or as the mother of future murders ... maybe she believed in something like bad genes and reacted.

A mother suspected of killing her two young children in a Spanish hotel room allegedly left a suicide note saying 'I hope you can forgive me'.

from article

Some suicide note ... she's still alive. It sounds a bit self-serving.

No family at funeral of children 'murdered by their mother' in Spanish hotel

from article

"The children allegedly murdered by their mother in a Spanish holiday hotel were buried today in a tearful ceremony snubbed by their relatives.

Rebecca Smith, five, and brother Daniel, just 11 months, were remembered in the poignant funeral service held just a mile from the room in the Costa Brava resort of Lloret de Mar where expat mum Lianne is accused of smothering them to death with a plastic bag.

The tragic pair were buried in the same grave.

Around 40 mourners including the town mayor, police chiefs, and teachers and parents at the school Rebecca attended in Barcelona, gathered in a tiny chapel at the town cemetery to pay their last respects.

But neither the children's mum or their alleged paedophile dad Martin - both currently languishing in jail - were there.

And other UK-based relatives of the dead children including their grandparents, aunts and uncles, also failed to attend.

Local police chief Cesar Martinez, speaking moments before the start of a 20-minute remembrance service at the 19-century chapel, said: 'Unfortunately today there are no members of the two children's family.

'We made every effort possible to contact their relatives including grandparents, uncles and aunts but nobody has come.

'The children's mother had the right to come here today if she so wished.

'She's not yet been convicted of any offence and if she asked to come, the authorities would have brought her but that's clearly not the case.' "

That's pretty sad. Is it because they were the chidlren of a paedophile?

Today's news, Rapist and TV Psychic found dead in cell, more at BBC link

They were both found dead in their cells even though they could not have been held together? So what ... did they have a pact that if he was arrested she would first see to the children and then to themselves? It sounds like something right out of Hitler's manual ... some of his officers did exactly that with their children and families.

Oops ... so he was found dead, suicide, in his cell. She is very much alive, having just murdered her children and unable to follow through with suicide. I guess the letter was self-serving, and now she'll tell us that she was under his spell ... he's not around to say anything, neither are the children.

It seems to me that anyone that murders their family is a family annihilator - that would be the wife ... a whole other breed of people that are ready to do something radical that doesn't include their family, so they decide the family will be better off dead. Men that murder a pregnant wife strike me as partial family annihilators, espcially if they leave children alive. Some do, some don' ... but a woman murdering her offspring stirkes me as a family annihilator.

Horribly, this isn't the only case I have heard about of a mother killing her children because the father was accused of molestation. The other case was in Ohio, and the mother set fire to the home.

ETA: Here's the link on WS:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41201

It almost seems like putting ones eggs in one basket ... that the minute their one reality is shattered, they are unable to cope.

Does that still happen in our new techno-world?

It almost seems like putting ones eggs in one basket ... that the minute their one reality is shattered, they are unable to cope.

That's the way I interpreted the Ohio case. That she had a nice family and then was overwhelmed when this stuff came out.

Maybe it was the other way around. Projection and such. Maybe she defined her self as a mother, and without them, her life wasn't worth living. So, she killed them to enable herself to finish the job on herself too. Maybe the overall goal was to bring herself to the point of suicide. Although I agree that in her world, the kids were nothing but objects or possessions. They were important to her, but not in terms of being individual people, they were important because they re-inforced her sense of self.

Not that any of this excuses what she did, it doesn't. I'm just looking for a way to understand this. Maybe recognizing the mindset can stop it from happening again in the future.

That's pretty sad. Is it because they were the chidlren of a paedophile?

I go with because their mother was a selfish b****. She took her young daughter to Spain when her boyfriend and father of her daughter was accused of raping a child! She hung out with him there (and had another baby) until he was finally arrested. Then she takes the children on a holiday and coldly murders them, claiming she attempted suicide.

Maybe she and Smith had a pact.

I still call it selfish and cruel. Notice in the picture of her holding her son, she appears relaxed. Wouldn't you think someone about to murder two defenseless babies would be stressed and maybe slightly crazed?

Incredibly heartbreaking. I cannot find a lick of logic in any of this because had I of been in these shoes I would have knocked this man out of his....

This picture tore me to bits. This is so, so very sad. :cries:

article-1282341-09CB7FA1000005DC-863_634x286.jpg

from link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1282341/Spain-murder-charge-mother-Lianne-Smiths-letter-toddler-deaths.html

Mrs Smith, a former child protection expert with Cumbria County Council, refused to believe he was guilty - and hoped publicity over her plight would allow her to keep custody of her children while she fought the allegations on his behalf.

In an anguished telephone interview with the publicist, she sobbed: 'I really don't know how I'll cope.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ther-Lianne-Smiths-letter-toddler-deaths.html

BBM-makes it even harder to understand...what beautiful children...

On May 14, she was panicked into fleeing Barcelona after what she described as 'an attempt to take my children'. It is thought that Spanish social workers had tried to contact her.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...iths-letter-toddler-deaths.html#ixzz1kYQzMRVP

I hadn't realized that Smith was the mother of the SA victim...this just gets worse and worse.

I hadn't realized that Smith was the mother of the SA victim...this just gets worse and worse.

I didn't either. And to have her own mother not believe her and disown her is cruel and heartless. No wonder she didn't have a problem with murdering her other children. She smiled so nice in all the pictures, like not a thing was wrong, when all along she was planning to murder her children.

I just don't understand how a parent
can kill their child....no matter what the reason. I never will understand.

Makes no sense. The children should have been protected from sexual abuse and evidently their mother their accused killer. What a sad story.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back