Found Deceased Spain - Scott Graham, 67, Canadian man not returned home & has no phone or vital medication, last seen Embassy in Madrid 15 July 2022.

Yes. He was on a long-distance bus from San Sebastian. The bus stopped for a short break and people got off to go to the bathroom etc. but the driver drove off without checking he was on board. All his bags and belongings were in there.
He must've had some money on him because he managed to get to Madrid, although for some reason the bus company wouldn't let him have his bags or couldn't find them etc.
He went to the Canadian embassy in Madrid, and ordered a new passport, but failed to go back and collect it when it was ready.
Not sure if he had his debit card with him in his wallet or if that was on the bus too, but he must've paid for the new passport somehow.
Sorry - I didn’t realize you answered more thoroughly than me right above!

Without knowing what exactly transpired at the Canadian embassy in Madrid, if he told them the whole story, I feel they dropped the ball. He was obviously vulnerable (i) not able to contact his family because he couldn’t remember email/social media passwords (ii) needing potentially life-saving medication and (iii) in a foreign country without his passport. One wonders why the embassy didn’t help him contact family/friends by phone (if land lines) or have the police in Canada attend their residence to arrange to connect. If he told them he needed medication, shouldn’t they have helped him get it? It’s unfortunate they didn’t find out where he would be staying until his passport came through so that they could keep track of him. Sounds like he needed more help than “just” a new passport and he didn’t get it.

We can all learn from this. Keep ESSENTIAL items and info (passport, list of contacts, med(s), some form of currency) ON YOUR PERSON, in a secure piece of clothing (sew a pocket onto a t-shirt before you leave home) because anything else can go missing inadvertently (suitcase, backpack, waist belt).

Praying that Scott comes home safe and well.

Yes it’s a good lesson for us all when travelling, have a bum bag so at least if you lose your backpack/rucksack you still have the essentials passport, phone, money, medication if u can fit it in etc on you.
My understanding is Scott has a good understanding of Spanish. Such a shame no headcount was done, Alsa would most likely be the bus company Scott used.
Reading the new appeal from the find Scott Graham Fb group it states we have reason to believe he could of been travelling to Amsterdam by road and therefore could be in any country such as Spain, Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Austria, Denmark Italy etc.
I personally feel if Scott was able to arrange all this outbound travel then he had the ability to pick up his passport which was ready a couple days later after ordering it from the Embassy and as we all know remains uncollected.
Really hope Scott is safe but it’s so extremely concerning.

I have ridden the buses in Spain more times than I care to count including the route he took. When the bus stops for a rest the driver always tries to make sure everyone who got off the bus makes it back on. It’s tourist season though so the place they stopped was probably jammed packed with foreigners. I can’t help but think he was already having some sort of medical issue when he got left behind. I would have found my way to the final destination as I’m sure that bus depot has a lost and found with his items stored there. I can’t help but think he was confused and wasn’t thinking rationally. The embassy probably did try to help him but again, he probably didn’t follow their instructions hence the disappearance. I sincerely hope he is okay and that some Good Samaritan has taken him in or given him a ride to wherever he planned on going next.

I realize this may sound very judgemental but why wouldn’t 1 of his 3 children go to Spain and look for him? They are trying to get Canadian authorities to do so on their behalf. I get that plane tickets are expensive but it’s been over 3 weeks since your 67 year old father with health issues has been seen or heard from. How much can you do from abroad honestly?
Personally, while my mother does have a passport I do not, and it would take a bit of legal wrangling for me to get one. (Was born overseas, never changed my name post-divorce, etc). So if I was in this situation I wouldn't be able to immediately get on a plane to go look for her, despite how much I'd have wanted to.

Just something to consider; there may have been other factors at play here.

He has been missing one month now. I do think he was taken ill, probably unconscious and is in a hospital or morgue somewhere.

If he had no ID on him, and he hadn't changed his clothes in a while, the hospital employees may have presumed he was Spanish and homeless.

And I don't know what happens to Spanish homeless people with no ID who have passed away?
How long do they stay in the hospital morgue before burial/cremation?

I know it sounds negative, but I'm just trying to be a realist. He has no money, no ID and no contact with anyone. As a foreigner in Spain with no ID, he wouldn't even be able to check into a hotel. Which he couldn't anyway as he had no money.

He must've presented as being in reasonable health at the Canadian Embassy in Madrid. He didn't ask for medical help there.

How long is it before emergency passports are ready for collection? Surely only one day, two at a maximum? So whatever happened, happened within that time frame....

Also to note: how did he pay for his new passport at the Canadian embassy?

He also somehow paid to get from San Sebastian to Madrid after the bus forgot him.....did he have his wallet on him? Men usually carry it in their pockets.

If he had a debit/credit card, then at least he would've had a name on him (if he was found with his wallet still with him.)

MOO.

Personally, while my mother does have a passport I do not, and it would take a bit of legal wrangling for me to get one. (Was born overseas, never changed my name post-divorce, etc). So if I was in this situation I wouldn't be able to immediately get on a plane to go look for her, despite how much I'd have wanted to.

Just something to consider; there may have been other factors at play here.
I hear you. Thank you.
Edited to add: I just feel that this is an emergency and someone from his family could have gotten a passport in a more timely manner - if that was the case. I don’t have a current passport either but if my father went missing overseas in these circumstances I would get one and get a plane ticket with a credit card (as I have no savings to draw from) and go… but that’s just me.

Last edited:
He has been missing one month now. I do think he was taken ill, probably unconscious and is in a hospital or morgue somewhere.

If he had no ID on him, and he hadn't changed his clothes in a while, the hospital employees may have presumed he was Spanish and homeless.

And I don't know what happens to Spanish homeless people with no ID who have passed away?
How long do they stay in the hospital morgue before burial/cremation?

I know it sounds negative, but I'm just trying to be a realist. He has no money, no ID and no contact with anyone. As a foreigner in Spain with no ID, he wouldn't even be able to check into a hotel. Which he couldn't anyway as he had no money.

He must've presented as being in reasonable health at the Canadian Embassy in Madrid. He didn't ask for medical help there.

How long is it before emergency passports are ready for collection? Surely only one day, two at a maximum? So whatever happened, happened within that time frame....

Also to note: how did he pay for his new passport at the Canadian embassy?

He also somehow paid to get from San Sebastian to Madrid after the bus forgot him.....did he have his wallet on him? Men usually carry it in their pockets.

If he had a debit/credit card, then at least he would've had a name on him (if he was found with his wallet still with him.)

MOO.
I agreed with you. It’s very sad. I wonder too if he presented well at the embassy and didn’t tell them the backstory but just that he needed a new passport. Maybe he was embarrassed? I do hope if he told them more he would have gotten more help but he may have told them he was ok otherwise thinking it would work out somehow.

I am convinced he has passed away without identification on him and is in a morgue somewhere in Madrid.

How does Spain deal with unidentified homeless people who have passed on?

How long do they wait before cremation?

Good to know that a video was also done in Spanish.

''VicPD File 22-26749 Missing Person Scott Graham Last Seen In Spain​

''Aug 8, 2022 rbbm.
Por favor, si ha visto o ve a Scott en Madrid o cualquier parte España, llame al 112 o comuníquese al Departamento de Policía de Victoria (VicPD) al (+ 1) 250 995 7654, extensión 1 (fuera de España). VicPD

investigators are asking for your help as we work to locate high-risk missing man Scott Graham. Scott, who is from Victoria, is missing and was last seen in Madrid, Spain, on July 15th. There is an active missing persons investigation in Spain that VicPD investigators are working to support. Scott is described as a 67-year-old Caucasian man standing five feet nine inches tall, with a medium build. Scott has brown hair and blue eyes. Scott was last seen at the Canadian Embassy at P.º de la Castellana, 259d, 28046 Torre Emperador, in Madrid, Spain on July 15, 2022. While Spanish authorities are leading the investigation, VicPD officers are working to liaise with them in support of the investigation and with Scott’s family. We are making this appeal in Spanish today to try to assist in efforts to locate him. Scott suffers from a medical condition, which can become life-threatening if he does not receive daily medication. VicPD investigators have learned that Scott may have been seen at the Hospital Universitario La Paz, but are unable to determine what the outcome of the visit was. Scott’s family are deeply concerned for his well-being and need to know he is safe. If you see Scott Graham in Madrid or elsewhere in Spain, call 112. If you have information about him outside of Spain please call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1.''

I am convinced he has passed away without identification on him and is in a morgue somewhere in Madrid.

How does Spain deal with unidentified homeless people who have passed on?

How long do they wait before cremation?

Spain has rule of law. A judge decides what will happen with unidentified human remains.

If something happened to Scott Graham in Madrid and he had no identification, or could no longer tell who he was, and died, the 'Instituto Anatómico Forense de Madrid' will investigate the remains and take DNA, fingerprints etc and possibly determine the cause of death.

If the decedent cannot be identified because he is foreign, the info about the case will be shared with INTERPOL in order to locate the surviving family.
It can take up to a year before the judge once again has to decide what to do with the remains: burial, cremation or continue to keep them in the refrigerator.

''Scott Graham, who was last seen in Madrid after he visited the Canadian Embassy, was found deceased "in the Madrid area" under circumstances that are believed to be non-suspicious, said Victoria police spokesperson Bowen Osoko.

He said it may be difficult for Victoria police to glean more information on the circumstances of Graham's death, given the investigation lies with police in Madrid. ''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back