Spreckels Mansion has been SOLD!!!

Discussion in 'Rebecca Zahau Nalepa' started by Mrs. Holmes, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs. Holmes

Mrs. Holmes New Member

2. Loading...

3. Mrs. Holmes

Mrs. Holmes New Member

The way this reads he lost millions because it was designated a heritage home? But the new investors group thinks they can sell it for big money? I can see getting rid of the home but that was quick? Love to know who is behind the purchase.

4. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

I don't blame him. I would never have set foot back in that house if I were him. I would never buy it and live there myself, either.

5. Mrs. Holmes

Mrs. Holmes New Member

6. sorrell skye

sorrell skye Well-Known Member

The 27-room mansion was built by John Spreckels, a one-time owner of the Hotel del Coronado who spread his influence throughout San Diego. Susan Vetter, a Coronado native, believes at some point people again will think of Spreckels when they see the house, and not so much of Shacknai or Zahau.

“I'm glad to see it sold,” she said. “We can get a fresh start and put all this behind us and get back to the history of that place.”

http://coronado.patch.com/articles/...een-sold-zahau-shacknai-suicide-investigation

I'm glad this woman isn't my neighbor. If this is the prevailing attitude in Coronado... then I truly have no words.

7. Truthwillsetufree

Truthwillsetufree New Member

A fresh start? There are no "do overs" when it comes to history....They can paint the walls and change the carpet but Rebecca and MS have become part of the history of the Spreckels Mansion and their tradgedies and subsequent injustice will be discussed, talked about, investigated and remembered more than Mr. Spreckels himself. JMO.

8. lauriej

lauriej 'wild rose country...'

http://www.cbs8.com/story/15919335/infamous-coronado-mansion-sold

9. 4Jacy

4Jacy New Member

I am not surprised at all. The Ramseys never went back to their home in Boulder, Ronald Cummings never went back to his home in Satsuma, the Irwins didn't go back to their home in Kansas City. All these people are quite different, but none of them want to be around any triggers and could depress them.

10. JBean

JBean Retired WS Administrator

Flipping is huge and robust business around here. No surprise that some investors smelled a good deal and were all over it.
    Good luck with that flip though.

11. Betty P

Betty P Active Member

The mansion is currently listed online for $14.5 million

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1043-Ocean-Blvd-Coronado-CA-92118/2123438332_zpid/

It hardly seems worth the money in its current state. As we've seen from various photos, Shacknai never updated the interior or even maintained it very well. Once a beautiful mansion, it looks slightly shabby and run down. I guess he was one of those really cheap rich people who doesn't like to spend money to fix things up.

12. arielilane

arielilane Justice for Morgan

JS sure was getting a tax break on the property taxes.
    Maybe they should turn it into a bed and breakfast.

13. defense101

defense101 New Member

Oh my, I think that would be a little creepy:countsheep:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.