Starting from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has BK ever had the opportunity to visit a public library in Indianapolis or Denver to see if there were anything that could jog his memory?

respectfully snipped. That is the question of the day! Due to his circumstances I don't believe he has. Remember he has no legal id, no drivers license. When he flew across country he had to be accompanied by the FBI and then homeland security to fly without ID.

If there was one thing I could do, it would be to give Mr. Kyle the opportunity to do just that. Take a trip to Indianapolis, Denver, Boulder. Even the house on the rock that he recalled visiting in Wisconsin. Actually see what might jar his memory if he were actually there rather than trying to view things online. Sadly, I am not in a financial situation to do just that, and if I was I certainly would. It pisses me off sometimes I know there are organizations out there who CAN provide Mr. Kyle with that opportunity and don't, or haven't. Sorry that got off on a rant but that is something that crosses my mind at least a few times a month. I really wish he had that opportunity or does get that opportunity.

respectfully snipped. That is the question of the day! Due to his circumstances I don't believe he has. Remember he has no legal id, no drivers license. When he flew across country he had to be accompanied by the FBI and then homeland security to fly without ID.

If there was one thing I could do, it would be to give Mr. Kyle the opportunity to do just that. Take a trip to Indianapolis, Denver, Boulder. Even the house on the rock that he recalled visiting in Wisconsin. Actually see what might jar his memory if he were actually there rather than trying to view things online. Sadly, I am not in a financial situation to do just that, and if I was I certainly would. It pisses me off sometimes I know there are organizations out there who CAN provide Mr. Kyle with that opportunity and don't, or haven't. Sorry that got off on a rant but that is something that crosses my mind at least a few times a month. I really wish he had that opportunity or does get that opportunity.

What organizations can and wont do you think, Cubby? I am not aware of anybody who has not stepped up to the plate for Mr. Kyle...jmvho. I think that he has been the recipient of favors that are almost immeasurable.

I think there are all kinds of ways to get across the country when one cannot fly or take a train-driving certainly springs to mind. I am not criticizing, just mentioning that this is an option that is always available. It would take time, for sure, and committment. NB works very hard, but she has also stepped up to the plate many times for BK. I am certain that they will take this option soon-at some point heading back to Indiana and Colorado just makes sense.

I would personally love to know some more about BK's pursuit of a writ of Mandemus as was mentioned by a federal judge as a means of resolving the lack of soc security number so he can pursue Legal ID. I know that BK was given that info last year-I am hoping that it will give him a chance to pursue employment and services that he cannot get now!! :)

I'm not doubting NB and many many others have done as much and more than they can. It's more than obvious they have. I was thinking along the lines of someone with deeper pockets so to speak. I should have been more clear with that in my previous post.

I'm not doubting NB and many many others have done as much and more than they can. It's more than obvious they have. I was thinking along the lines of someone with deeper pockets so to speak. I should have been more clear with that in my previous post.

No, I was actually wondering if you had someone specific in mind...xoxoxo

The way I see it we have a man found with literally nothing who has a home and is on the radar of the FBI, the GBI, multiple internet communities, has had a documentary filmed about him, genetic research donated, medical care donated, has been flown to LA for the Dr Phil Show, has been covered by the National Enquirer and is now possibly being covered by a well respected nationally read Newsmagazine...Newsweek!! Amazing for someone found with nothing sleeping beside a dumpster in Richmond Hill GA.

I dont know enough about how amnesia works to know if a trip to Denver or Indianapolis would be what is needed to break the lock of his memory banks. I remember that the Dr Phil show considered it, that James Smith is considering it....but I have to believe that this is not considered to be worthwhile, or why wouldnt James Smith and the Dr Phil production staff have considered taking some of the money they are devoting to the creation of their pieces and simply get him out there to see if he remembers who he is???

So crazy making, huh???

I can understand your point. I was thinking along the lines of a long road trip. Or even a few days in Indiana with a specific itinerary, then onto Boulder and Denver. As I've mentioned many times, the internet hasn't replaced the library so to speak. I was honestly just thinking about the opportunity for Mr. Kyle to even have a week in each city to explore the memories. Whether he has any or not.... He may not remember who he is, but there is a big difference imo looking at something from a computer screen than walking or driving through neighborhoods he rememebrs. After 5 years and countless attempts to identify him, I think someone out there, not any of us who have been working on this, has pockets deep enough to do this. I mean we read about old quacks who leave millions to the pets....

Also, and this is an off the beaten path idea, but even a company who advertises a product on TV in each of those three cities, or one nationally company could even consider putting Mr. Kyle in a commercial. think about how much Pepsi, coke, and other companies spend on advertising.

I don't know I guess I am not able to make those things happen and as much as I think they are as viable as any......

thanks! :blowkiss:

Wow, I missed something here. Where did "Even the house on the rock that he recalled visiting in Wisconsin" come from? Thanks Cubby, I missed this and would like to revisit, please advise.

Wow, I missed something here. Where did "Even the house on the rock that he recalled visiting in Wisconsin" come from? Thanks Cubby, I missed this and would like to revisit, please advise.

Found my post, it was in the questions for BK thread.

I titled the thread wiki update so I found it mentioned on BK's wiki site.

Mr. Kyle,

Do you happen to recall the driving time your parents may have driven during childhood family vacations?

I can't get it out of my head, that you may have moved from the Indianapolis area to the NW Indiana area. Particularly due to the memory of your possible birth date being exactly 10 years to the day of Michael Jackson. You seem a little older than the age range I would have expected to be big Jackson 5 fans during the mid 60's to early 70's.... Unless it stood out, because you were living closer to the NW area of IN during their prime.

Now, this House on the Rock, is closer to the Madison area, and also Wisconsin Dells - which had (has) the Tommy Bartlett Water show. It seems like a longer drive than one might make from Indianapolis, as opposed to the NW IN, or NE IL area's.

On another note, while I being from the Chicago area had never heard of Burger Chef until you mentioned it, I did research locations and there were some in the far south - south west burbs of Chicago - (closer to the indiana/IL border).

Any thoughts on having spent time in the NW IN area or any recollection of how long your parents drove for vacations? were they 2-3 hour trips or a trip which might have taken 7 plus hours?

Thanks!
Cubby

I just looked and that has since been edited from the wiki page. I do remember reading it there, because I check the wiki page from time to time, and it was at the wiki page (IIRC) I first noticed the info on the partial memory of the social security number.

Mr. Kyle never replied to my question about his memory at the house on the rock. I don't recall now what he said about the memory, just that he rememebered visiting there. That of course led me to the above questions.

hth

I didn't look much farther after I saw there is no difference or almost no difference with post card postage than the regular first class rate.

How many would depend on how many Powells are listed in the white pages, or one of those marketing directories in Indianapolis. I suppose quite a few. It is quite a common surname, and even if we did this, it still does not guaranty us that any of BK's Powell family members still live in Indy.

I'm open to thoughts...

Now, realtors usually do mailings to their client base. They are always looking for something to send out which is of interest to their clients or potential clients. We may get a realtor who is interested in sending out a flier about BK with their mailings if we pop for the flier. The realtor would pop for the postage and their own info.. we would just see if they might add a BK flier with their mailings. Or maybe we could 'solicit' realtors in Indy with a link to a flier.

just trying to think outside the box here.

I'm so far behind.. My daughter had a tooth extracted with complications; I've been sick with some bug since Thursday or Friday..

About the mailing; if something were going to be done like that; I still say better regression pics should be done. We have a lot of people here that are very skilled with photoshop; I'd love to see better hair on Benjaman that would be closer to the style worn back then

I can understand your point. I was thinking along the lines of a long road trip. Or even a few days in Indiana with a specific itinerary, then onto Boulder and Denver. As I've mentioned many times, the internet hasn't replaced the library so to speak. I was honestly just thinking about the opportunity for Mr. Kyle to even have a week in each city to explore the memories. Whether he has any or not.... He may not remember who he is, but there is a big difference imo looking at something from a computer screen than walking or driving through neighborhoods he rememebrs. After 5 years and countless attempts to identify him, I think someone out there, not any of us who have been working on this, has pockets deep enough to do this. I mean we read about old quacks who leave millions to the pets....

The problem with that is that places change a lot.
Where I live now.. we were going to buy here 10 years ago; it looks nothing like it did back then. There are new malls, housing; roads that weren't.

Where I grew up pumping gas; that has changed a lot since my dad bought the station in the late 60's; there are 3 new businesses on his road where a quarry used to be. The road is also widened.

The town I actually lived in has also changed since I moved in 1992

Roselvr, I thought about that too, but Indianapolis is not a newer city. I'm sure the downtown area that BK recalls still has a lot of the older buildings. It would also give him a chance to see in person the places he recalls.

I do know what you mean though, where I live know was considered the 'outskirts' of the chicago burbs in the late 60's. It is now the central area and the outskirts have all the new subdivisions and strip malls which were still farm land in the 70's.

It's likely the area's Mr. Kyle remembers were fully developed and not rural while he was growing up. At least that is always how I have thought of the downtown or central business district area of Indianapolis.

The problem with that is that places change a lot.
Where I live now.. we were going to buy here 10 years ago; it looks nothing like it did back then. There are new malls, housing; roads that weren't.

Roselvr, You bring up an excellent point here. Places do change a lot. I was thinking that the neighborhood where BK lived when he was growing up in Indianapolis could have changed over the years.

For example, the neighborhood that he grew up in could have changed from one ethnic group to another. It is possible that businesses and schools in the neighborhood that were there years ago, aren't there anymore.

Roads could have changed over the years. It is possible that BK could remember Indianapolis before the interstate freeways were built.

Didn't BK say that he has memories of the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis?

Now just a thought here. I don't know if this would help BK's memory. But if someone were to take BK to Indianapolis, it might be a good idea to go there during the Indiana State Fair.

Another point to bring up. Not much has changed since 2004. Maybe, just maybe if Benjaman was to visit the areas, it could bring back newer memories, like 2004. Wouldn't that be great?

Also, and this is an off the beaten path idea, but even a company who advertises a product on TV in each of those three cities, or one nationally company could even consider putting Mr. Kyle in a commercial. think about how much Pepsi, coke, and other companies spend on advertising.

There's nothing wrong with having an off the beaten path idea. The best ideas have come from thinking off the beaten path.

For instance, if Pepsi or Coke were to put Mr. Kyle in a commercial, not only could it be seen in the United States, but it can be seen in Canada too. I believe the same companies also has Spanish language commercials for Spanish television stations in the United States.

Here's another idea I thought of when I went out to lunch today during work. I don't know whether or not it is feasible, but it is something to consider.

When you eat inside a fast food restaurant, they put your food order on a tray with a tray liner on the tray. The tray liners usually have some kind of a fast food promotional message or some kind of a advertisement on the tray liner.

http://www.traydisplayadvertising.com/

Now how about if we could get BK's photo and info put on a tray liner at a national fast food chain restaurant?

It could be on McDonald's, Wendy's, or the various fast food chains (Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut, Long John Silvers, A&W) owned by YUM Brands. It could be seen in a regional area or it could be seen nationwide.

I would think that someone might recognize BK if they were to see his photo and info on a tray liner at a fast food restaurant.

I hope this is the best place for this. I just read about the railroad tracks reference on Godfathers thread and decided to re-read the Questions for Benjaman thread. Here are a few of my observations after reading the questions and answers:

How did Benjaman know what a “cabinet” or Rhode Island milkshake was? From what I have read it is a local only term and people even in Vermont or Mass do not know what it is, unless they themselves were from Rhode Island. It is not at all a common phrase.

Benjaman mentions Entenmanns, which he stated started in San Francisco. Entenmanns actually started in New York (Long Island), not San Francisco. Entenmanns was purchased by CPC International, which was a west coast based company around 1990. What is interesting however, is that Best Foods, which was part of CPC International, is based in Rhode Island. Another east coast reference.

Benjaman has memories of Marsh’s grocery store. They started in Muncie, Indiana in 1931. By 1953 they expanded to 16 stores. (They were the first store to use bar coding.) According to their company history, by 1990, 40% of the stores were located in the Indianapolis area. I wish we knew which Marsh's store (s) Benjaman remembers.

Benjaman mentioned KFC’s version of Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips-H. Salt Fish and Chips. According to their history, their first shop opened in Sausalito, CA in 1965. Their ONLY locations are in California, primarily So. Cal. So how did he know of them? (By the way, Sausalito is a suburb of San Francisco, which is where he thought Entenmanns came from—does he have a CA connection?)

Benjaman mentions White Castle. They started in Wichita, KS in 1921. In 1933 the headquarters were moved to Columbus, OH They first opened in Indianapolis in 1927.

So, my observations on all this are: Benjaman specifically references both truly east coast and west coast businesses. Did he at one time live in Rhode Island and CA, as well as Indiana and CO?

[/FONT]
Benjaman mentioned KFC’s version of Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips.

Benjaman mentions White Castle. They started in Wichita, KS in 1921. In 1933 the headquarters were moved to Columbus, OH They first opened in Indianapolis in 1927.

I found an interesting link regarding Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Treacher's

It seems that the first Arthur Treacher store to open was in 1969 in Columbus,Ohio. The article also mentions Dave Thomas, who was the founder of the Wendy's hamburger chain.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendys[/ame]

The first Wendy's restaurant also opened in 1969 in Columbus,Ohio.

I was recently thinking about Benjaman's extensive knowledge of the beverage, food, and restaurant industry. Could it be possible that Benjaman could have worked for a wall street brokerage firm?

Benjaman could have recommended or sold beverage, food, and restaurant industry stocks to brokerage clients. He also could have been doing research analysis as well. Maybe this could explain his extensive knowledge of the beverage, food, and restaurant industry.

There's nothing wrong with having an off the beaten path idea. The best ideas have come from thinking off the beaten path.

For instance, if Pepsi or Coke were to put Mr. Kyle in a commercial, not only could it be seen in the United States, but it can be seen in Canada too. I believe the same companies also has Spanish language commercials for Spanish television stations in the United States.

Here's another idea I thought of when I went out to lunch today during work. I don't know whether or not it is feasible, but it is something to consider.

When you eat inside a fast food restaurant, they put your food order on a tray with a tray liner on the tray. The tray liners usually have some kind of a fast food promotional message or some kind of a advertisement on the tray liner.

Now how about if we could get BK's photo and info put on a tray liner at a national fast food chain restaurant?

It could be on McDonald's, Wendy's, or the various fast food chains (Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut, Long John Silvers, A&W) owned by YUM Brands. It could be seen in a regional area or it could be seen nationwide.

I would think that someone might recognize BK if they were to see his photo and info on a tray liner at a fast food restaurant.

That is awesome thinking outside the box!

and might be doable depending on paper prices right now.

I just don't know enough about the Colorado restaurant association...

I could find the contacts here near Chicago, Kimberly Clark and some of the bigger Re-D's to see if I can't push to find contacts in Colorado.... though I would need an idea of which area within the Hospitality industry to search. There are far too many, and the contacts I have are not going to sleuth with us.... they would most likely be willing to give me a name and contact info for a particular part of the industy... but not looking at the industry as a whole as a needle in a haystack as it is just too broad to approach.

I have asked a few times which 'field' within the industry BK is most familiar with, and have yet to receive any kind of reply or direction, so I have to leave that avenue on the back burner right now.

but AWESOME idea nerosleuth!

Here's one for the South Jersey area.
http://www.myplacematads.com/

I too, had decided to reread the questions thread again. I have found a few statements Benjaman made interesting, this one in particular, so I have done some further sleuthing on them.

"snipped respectively from the questions thread" In post #65:
Cubby asks Benjaman of memories of Burger Chef.
In post #67:
Ben answers "I remember several BC's in Colorado. Longmont, Aurora near 6th ave. their empty buildings were all over Colorado.
I have vague memories of them-I looked them up on the Internet recently."

The interesting part of this statement is "their empty buildings were all over Colorado."

First, I read the history of Burger Chef and found the time line for it. Which I found on this site: [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_Chef[/ame]

Burger Chef- founded 1954
Starting in 1982 - General Foods decides to gradually sell off to the owner's of Hardee's, with the final BC being sold in 1996.
(this statement alone, tell's me Benjaman had to have been in Colorado, between 1982 and 1996, if Burger Chef building were empty all over Colorado.)

A good place to see some of the history of Burger Chef is from a Kyle Brown, who has a website dedicated to BC. It has many wonderful photos of managers, people working in them, and I have found a few of the photos a bit interesting, one in particular is this one:

http://burgerchef.webs.com/5earlypictures.htm
(the young man, last on right) (this is a INDIANA location)

the home page for this site is:
http://burgerchef.webs.com/

I have contacted Mr. Kyle Brown, as there are many more photos that aren't listed, even a book written about it, with even more photos. Hopefully this is a good lead for time lines.

a couple of more sites with photos:

http://www.waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=65766bda-9049-4276-9ee6-1fe3ed9e6d1f&exp=True
http://www.lostindiana.net/Lost_Indiana/Lost_Indiana__Burger_Chef.html
http://agilitynut.com/eateries/bchef.html

Another statement Benjaman made is on Marsh's and there homemade pickled eggs.

I found there are 25 locations in and around Indianapolis. I would be very interested to find out which ones have a deli, and which ones don't. I would be interested to find out who makes their pickled eggs. This is another clue I find is interesting. It is possible only a few of the locations had homemade pickled eggs, since this is not a popular item. Were they made at one location and sent them to other stores in the area to sell or is it just at a certain few locations? Maybe, just maybe, that deli person who makes them is still working for Marsh's, and possibly knows Benjaman, since his liking of pickled eggs. How would he know if they were homemade or out of the jar, unless he spoke with someone about it?

(from post #94 on the questions thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member