States May Free Inmates to Save Millions

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
Lawmakers from California to Kentucky are trying to save money with a drastic and potentially dangerous budget-cutting proposal: releasing tens of thousands of convicts from prison, including drug addicts, thieves and even violent criminals.
Officials acknowledge that the idea carries risks, but they say they have no choice because of huge budget gaps brought on by the slumping economy.
"If we don't find a way to better manage the population at the state prison, we will be forced to spend money to expand the state's prison system - money we don't have," said Jeff Neal, a spokesman for Rhode Island Gov. Don

More at link:

Carcieri.http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PRISONERS_EARLY_RELEASE?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

And after the crime rates go up the politicians will get on tv and rant about how much crime there is and how we need laws for this and laws for that...:banghead: :banghead:

Dumbasses. Here's a way to save money...put 4 of 'em in cell together, make 'em eat mush and don't give 'em cable. Do what they do in Maricopa County (forget which state), put 'em in tents and make 'em work. They choose to commit the crime they have to do the time and shut up about how bad they are being treated. :snooty:

Oh and stop putting every guy found with a joint in his pocket behind bars then you would have room for the real criminals. JMHO

And after the crime rates go up the politicians will get on tv and rant about how much crime there is and how we need laws for this and laws for that...:banghead: :banghead:

Dumbasses. Here's a way to save money...put 4 of 'em in cell together, make 'em eat mush and don't give 'em cable. Do what they do in Maricopa County (forget which state), put 'em in tents and make 'em work. They choose to commit the crime they have to do the time and shut up about how bad they are being treated. :snooty:

Oh and stop putting every guy found with a joint in his pocket behind bars then you would have room for the real criminals. JMHO

AZ? pink undies!

Fox News had a woman who was a victim of domestic abuse and her exhusband was one of the prisoners who are slated to be released under this early release rule/law. She sounded upset for her safety. I wonder how many other victims feel this way?

That guy down south with the tents and making prisoners work has the correct idea, what the US has done with individual rights is sad. The criminals have more rights than the victims.

I read somewhere-I'll look for an article later-that said the reason for overcrowding in prisons is because of the 3 strikes you're out rule. It was supposed to act as a detterent (sp), but it hasn't. So we have people with minor infractions doing life.....whle we have dangerous people (child molesters comes to mind) serving light sentences only to be released to do the same thing over, and sometimes more than once!

This is just about the stupidest thing I ever heard. Well I guess they are really gonna love the fact then when most of them get out they will go on to committ crimes and will be back in there costing them money all over again plus some of them will pick up crime partners costing even more money. They are stupid.

They would just spend more money when they re-offend. Not to mention, the suffering it would cause to others.

i vote every state set up more tent cities for the criminals.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I can't afford cable b/c I watch my bills. I have to make sacrifices in groceries b/c of rising prices. It does burn me that criminals watch better TV and eat better than my kids.

That said - Truth in Sentencing (WI) and 3 strikes and long sentences for minor drug offenses piss me off. Why spend the $$ to convict then house these guys? Find an alternative.

In WI - there is direct correlation between the money invested in higher education (lessening each year) and the amount to build new prisons and continue older ones (more and more and more each year). Prisoners don't make money so they have to start generating revenue in some way.

How about we charge them for being incarcerated, then make them work off their debt? If they go to school, learn a trade, start a business and can pay off the debt we let them out. Those that are lazy or truly a danger (steven avery) never get out...but we can still put the carrot out there for them...

For the life of me I cannot get my head around the idea of freeing inmates.:waitasec:
I think it's an insane idea.

Here's the thing, though - we didn't always imprison people for extended periods of time unless the crimes were very serious...

There's a reason prisons are called 'Crime Universities." Petty criminals learn in prison about how to commit larger crimes (and get away with it).

And - in all honesty - most female inmates, IMHO, could be released with rehab, and never be threats to the community again. Most of them are there on petty drug offenses (for which their boyfriends were dealing much more, but didn't go down b/c they turned evidence on the women).

Fox News had a woman who was a victim of domestic abuse and her exhusband was one of the prisoners who are slated to be released under this early release rule/law. She sounded upset for her safety. I wonder how many other victims feel this way?

ALL of them!

I have to say, I don't see that they need cable or any luxuries. I don't mind if they attend classes or read books but they don't need access to TVs, computers, etc. That would save money.

Letting out any violent offender to save money is a bad idea.

I have to say, I don't see that they need cable or any luxuries. I don't mind if they attend classes or read books but they don't need access to TVs, computers, etc. That would save money.

The reasoning is that leisure equipment is an effective method of appeasement in a stressful environment, which increases the safety of both the inmates and the staff. Since most detention facilities are built on a steel frame bunny-ears antennas would not work well... except as makeshift weapons. Banning TV altogether would likely lead to revolt, all you need for the situation to explode is to have enough inmates p... off over the same issue which is something correctional authorities want to avoid at all cost.

Sounds like a plan to me curious.:clap:

You don't have to release ANYONE if you would convert the death penalty people to life without parole. The cost is enourmous as it is and they're not killing them anyway. Cuts costs AND keeps bad guys locked away. Win, Win.

I read somewhere-I'll look for an article later-that said the reason for overcrowding in prisons is because of the 3 strikes you're out rule. It was supposed to act as a detterent (sp), but it hasn't. So we have people with minor infractions doing life.....whle we have dangerous people (child molesters comes to mind) serving light sentences only to be released to do the same thing over, and sometimes more than once!

Egg-zackly! Crazy isn't it?

The reasoning is that leisure equipment is an effective method of appeasement in a stressful environment, which increases the safety of both the inmates and the staff. Since most detention facilities are built on a steel frame bunny-ears antennas would not work well... except as makeshift weapons. Banning TV altogether would likely lead to revolt, all you need for the situation to explode is to have enough inmates p... off over the same issue which is something correctional authorities want to avoid at all cost.

Okay see the bad part in me says....let 'em riot and let the guards lock them in and just open fire. Next time less people to riot. :rolleyes: I am just not in a tolerant mood today.

Perhaps moving back to tents and road crews would be more of a deterrent...if you talk to anyone who has been or is a corrections officer, I don't think they are fans of removing all luxuries simply because taking away any and all distractions from prisoners make them far more difficult to handle. There is not a 1:1 ratio of prisoners and Co's, so i would think that making a CO job harder would simply deter people from becoming Co's. JMO.

Perhaps moving back to tents and road crews would be more of a deterrent...if you talk to anyone who has been or is a corrections officer, I don't think they are fans of removing all luxuries simply because taking away any and all distractions from prisoners make them far more difficult to handle. There is not a 1:1 ratio of prisoners and Co's, so i would think that making a CO job harder would simply deter people from becoming Co's. JMO.

Oh definitely. People use television to babysit their unruly kids - I'm sure inmates are the same way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back