Stephen Hawking says afterlife is a fairy story

So an atheist who leads a upstanding life goes to hell but some serial killer who begs for forgiveness when he dies is going to heaven?

Well yes, because why would they go to heaven if they rejected God or Jesus? That just wouldn't make sense regardless of what nice people they were. And Jesus said, "no one goes to the Father except through me." As for the serial killer, if he truly repents in his heart for what he has done, he can be forgiven, yes. But his heart has to truly be in the right place, and only God can determine that. There is a bible verse where Jesus uses a parable to talk about late comers to the faith being rewarded the same as those who believed all along, and how that would cause complaints among the faithful. I will try to find it and post it here, as I actually was going to use that as a topic soon on my biblical blog. Jesus explains it quite well.

I wasn't offended by Stephen Hawking's statement about his disbelief in an afterlife, nor am I offended by anyone's expression of their personal spiritual beliefs (or lack thereof).

I'm confident enough in my own spiritual path not to feel threatened when someone else follows a dissimilar path.

As long as I am treated with respect and my innate freedom to discover my own truth is not impeded, I am content.

As sentient beings, we all have eyes with which to see, ears with which to hear, feet by which we walk, and the gift of free will to choose the road upon which we travel.

Life is a grand adventure.

IMO, the most important concept is this: Harm none.

I wasn't offended by Stephen Hawking's statement about his disbelief in an afterlife, nor am I offended by anyone's expression of their personal spiritual beliefs (or lack thereof).

I'm confident enough in my own spiritual path not to feel threatened when someone else follows a dissimilar path.

As long as I am treated with respect and my innate freedom to discover my own truth is not impeded, I am content.

As sentient beings, we all have eyes with which to see, ears with which to hear, feet by which we walk, and the gift of free will to choose the road upon which we travel.

Life is a grand adventure.

IMO, the most important concept is this: Harm none.

I am not offended that he said he disbelieves, as that is his choice (although I am sad for him) but he could have said it more respectfully than he did. :)

Personally I find the the idea of no afterlife very comforting and very logical. I'm happy to be just a small part of the circle of life. I really don't see any reason to think myself or any other person to be particularly special, just one of billions of creatures on a small planet in the vastness of space. The important thing to me is to cherish the time I have and try to be as good as possible to others.

I have a ton of respect for Stephen Hawking and what he's been able to accomplish despite, or as he would tell you, partly because of his illness. He has made immense contributions to physics and our understanding of the universe and possibly beyond, although his celebrity make you think he's another Einstein, the greatest physicist of his generation, which he's probably not.

I've always wondered if there is nothing after life for those that don't believe there is something after life. Where do the atheists go? Does Hawking claim to be an atheist? I'm so curious about these things.

I suspect we will all be "surprised" after death because the perspective afforded us in the afterlife will be so much broader than what we see in this world. I'm not so smug as to assume any of us knows everything that is to come.

But, personally, I don't think anything special "happens" to atheists. I don't believe in a God that punishes people over a misunderstanding.

I am not offended that he said he disbelieves, as that is his choice (although I am sad for him) but he could have said it more respectfully than he did. :)

Look, he "insulted" my beliefs as much as yours. (Well, actually, I'm not insulted and I doubt you are seriously insulted either; but the point is Hawking thinks my beliefs are just as silly as he thinks your beliefs are.)

But since our beliefs in the supernatural aren't provable, why should they command respect? In this regard, how are we any different (to Stephen Hawking) than the schizophrenic ranting about delusions on a street corner?

I ask this with all due respect, of course. ;) (But I am not kidding that my metaphysical beliefs are no more scientifically objective than yours.)

I remember seeing Stephen Hawking say that Darwinism is "unscientific" in one interview. That was interesting since he is an evolutionist. :waitasec:

I think you need more context to know what Hawking meant.

Countless scientists have built on Darwin's work. I've read some before who say he made some lucky guesses (and some errors) while writing On the Origin of Species.

But you're right that none of that means they (and Hawking) don't rely on basic Darwinian principles.

I know it to be true. It saddens me all the wonderful caring people that will miss it. Gods love for us is the greatest thing there is. All you have to do is sincerely ask him yourself and he will show you. Such a simple thing to do but a great loss if you do not. If you knew him you would know it is true.

If God's "love for us is the greatest thing there is", then why do you believe He behaves like a spoiled, narcissistic child? Demanding that we worship Him or face eternal damnation is blackmail, not love.

And this is about where this thread gets locked...

I suspect we will all be "surprised" after death because the perspective afforded us in the afterlife will be so much broader than what we see in this world. I'm not so smug as to assume any of us knows everything that is to come.

But, personally, I don't think anything special "happens" to atheists. I don't believe in a God that punishes people over a misunderstanding.
Great post. I couldnt agree more.:rocker:

I use to be scared of dying. Afraid all my memories and thoughts that would vanish. Then day after day, watching the news, or having love ones pass, or a complete strange, dying happens. I can live a happy life, and not waste a minute being sad about what will one day happen to me. I do not believe. I can hold onto that I am not afraid, I do not need answers, and not all people that believe need them either, but I can see why people hold onto it. I think everyone should be able to believe what they want and not be judge.

I believe that when you die, it's the same as before you were born: absolutely nothing. :) That's actually preferable to me than Heaven where it's the same thing for eternity. When my life's over, I just want to be done with.

How do you know that your beliefs are the truth and Hawking's beliefs are false?
I know because I had a near death experience in 1979 at a Los Angeles Hospital . I saw what awaits us on the other side . Steven Hawkings is ungrateful for his life that God Gave him he has lived longer than anyone with ALS and has the nerve to say there is no Heaven and No God .He should stick to whhat he knows about for sure and not make such false statements . Next thimg you know he will say he parted the sea for the Isralites to cross over on dry land. Boy ! Talk about living on the edge he sure is in for his biggest surprise ever .How dare he state what he knows not . Pat 22

Supposed to believe thata bunch of Monkeys or Apes are holding the planets in place . All spirit's born returns to the Creator that made them Saint of sinner .Return to their Creator .It is written in scripture .

Personally I find the the idea of no afterlife very comforting and very logical. I'm happy to be just a small part of the circle of life. I really don't see any reason to think myself or any other person to be particularly special, just one of billions of creatures on a small planet in the vastness of space. The important thing to me is to cherish the time I have and try to be as good as possible to others.

I have a ton of respect for Stephen Hawking and what he's been able to accomplish despite, or as he would tell you, partly because of his illness. He has made immense contributions to physics and our understanding of the universe and possibly beyond, although his celebrity make you think he's another Einstein, the greatest physicist of his generation, which he's probably not.

BBM

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better! You sumed up exactly how I feel and what I believe to be true.

I believe that when you die, it's the same as before you were born: absolutely nothing. :) That's actually preferable to me than Heaven where it's the same thing for eternity. When my life's over, I just want to be done with.

I think the only part of us that lives on is what we leave behind. How we touched other peoples lives, our children, and our legacy. I personaly find it sad that the majority of the world would rather fight over Gods and start wars over it than focus on this life and loving one another as a species.

Do you think that an atheists choice not to believe in God is a "misunderstanding?"

Interesting discussion.

For a long time I have held an deep interest in the HISTORY of the Catholic church and the bible (though I am not Catholic). I do not believe nor trust in the Catholic church. I do not believe that GOD wrote the bible - humans did and it is heavily (VERY) edited. IMO there is a higher power but it does reside in a church building. The church and so-called religious leaders have proven be self-serving and corrupt.

Somewhat I agree with S.Hawking in that I don't believe there is a heaven with pearly gates and streets paved with gold. I do know that my dear departed grandmother helps me when I ask her. My niece was 3yo when my father passed and she told her mother that grandpa tucked her in every night - I am sure his spirit did.

I've always wondered if there is nothing after life for those that don't believe there is something after life. Where do the atheists go? Does Hawking claim to be an atheist? I'm so curious about these things.

I am not worried about where I will go. Maybe I go nowhere. I don't know. Only thing I worry about is pain. I do not want a physically painful passing.

I'm going to wait and read the actual article. I intend to read the book that Mr. Hawking has due to be published later this year. I think that is where these quotes are coming from and want to read what he is saying within context.

The reason I am hesitant is that I remember when the book "the last temptation of christ" and the book "american psycho" were published and the uproar and the backlash that was caused by reviews being given without the reviewer having actually read the book and/or excerpts being taken out of context in order to support the viewpoints of the author of the article discussing either book.

I'll give Mr. Hawking the chance to explain in his words what it is he's trying to say because I deeply admire his mind and also because of the above experiences proved to me that once I did read the book I came away with an entirely different point of view of those books. JMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back