Stephen Powell Arrested in Washington State #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
do we have a pic of SP house? Does it have fence round it?
Just imgine if he snuck a still alive Susan into his house for couple of days?
Like in Jaycee or Elizabeth's cses nd then she died there?
That would explin that JP took rental car and left for a day.
Back to dad's?
This is so frustrating.

i asked the question of the house size in a previous post. I agree 4 bedrooms seems about right for that house, at the most, and no special office. Tight squeeze, for sure.

IMO

Can someone look up the RE info on this house? I know it can be done & it would provide the answer to how many bedrooms there are.

I would but have NO clue how to do it..I'm a stinky sleuther :(

Zillow.com is a good site for real estate Amysmom. I don't have the address to search for it.

i asked the question of the house size in a previous post. I agree 4 bedrooms seems about right for that house, at the most, and no special office. Tight squeeze, for sure.

IMO

Just looked at the tax info:

5 bedrooms, 2.75 baths, 3200 sq ft, paid $270k in 2004. Refi for $177k, (2nd mortgage?) this past July.

Here is something I don't understand, all these people that are finally coming out and saying what Josh and Steve Powell were really like are the same people that ran to the aide of Josh when he was moving.

From what I read in a news article, hold your friends close - your enemies closer, applies to the situation.

Susan had (has) a lot of people looking out for her best interest.

I don't recall reading this anywhere. It's unusual for a marriage counselor to urge a patient to get a divorce. And I would guess her counselor (if she had one) was likely Mormon, making it perhaps even more odd. Where did this information come from?

I agree totally that Mormons do not take divorce lightly. The statement above said her marriage counselor had been urging her to get a divorce. I would like to know where that came from... That's not the same thing as friends or co-worshipers. A marriage counselor is a professional with a defined function and professional licensing and guideline issues. It's a far more serious matter.

OK, fine. If that's the case, it was simply a mistake. I am sometimes troubled by the extent to which "mistakes" or "assumptions" or just plain sloppy reporting is somehow translated into "facts" leading to "conclusions" etc etc. But to err is human, no? :)

So. There is no evidence that any marriage counselor ever "urged Susan to get a divorce"? Is that correct? Does anyone know otherwise?

I am searching for the exact place I heard it, I've reviewed a lot and listened to a lot on this case and I should have made a better note of it. I want to say Kiirsi said it in her interview, but I am not sure. I did find these references to it, I will keep looking for the wording I give, as I don't think I arrived at that without direct mention of it. Here is what I have so far:

When Josh and Susan Powell were first married, both were very active in the LDS Church, Petersen said. They were sealed in the temple. But once they moved to Utah, Josh Powell stopped attending church.

Petersen said the Powells' marriage counselor instructed Susan Powell to set specific goals. Susan Powell told her husband that her goal was for him to become active in the church again by the end of 2009 and to have his temple recommend again by their anniversary in the spring. Otherwise, she was going to divorce him and take the children, Petersen said.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...his-time-getting-home-neighbor-says.html?pg=2

Chuck Cox said his daughter saw a marriage counselor and that counselor also suggested a separate account.

Friends of Susan told The Tribune in late December that she was keeping a separate bank account and arranging for a place to go in the event she needed to leave her husband. The friends, who requested anonymity at that time because police had asked them not to speak to the media, said Susan was worried Josh Powell might kidnap their children and try to break her financially.

Members of the Cox family have also said Susan spoke of a divorce if things didn’t improve by her April anniversary.

http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/sltrib/pages/printerfriendly.csp?id=50609169

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqSbBQRrVeU"]Susan Powell Was Preparing For Possible Divorce Sources Say - YouTube[/ame]

HatesSociopaths: I always enjoy your posts. Thank you. I agree with your scenario. I do believe that Susan's murder was premeditated. JP probably had a couple of dates and times in his mind. That 15 min call with Daddy - was the time is now. Hate to even ponder this thought, but if SP participated in the planning of Susan's death, he MAY have also had the opportunity to live out his fantasy/obsession. Drugged or deceased. Ugh. Thoughts?

I understand what you are talking about.

I have been doing a little research into Steve Powell. What is interesting is that his good friend Sandy is the president of an ex-Mormon group in Washington. She helps organize meet-ups of ex-Mormons in the Seattle area.
Steve as we know has been very vocal about his anti-Mormon views, and from what Sandy has said, these views of SP are voiced in discussion groups online. I am looking for those records now, they should be online somewhere.

I have also researched the crux of the problem between JP and Susan. It is my theory that JP had basic survival needs (finance, caring for the kids) for Susan to be alive, and that the only reason he would have killed her is from the deranged idea that his survival was enhanced by doing so. In this case, it would allow him to keep the kids and not be stuck with child support payments for the next 16 years.

The crux of the problem was their religious views were at polar opposites due to the propaganda being put out by his dad, Steven Powell.

What makes this problem more significant than the average couple is the type of religion that was the issue here. Here is an interesting summation of this point from a website that takes on the issue:

http://exmormonfoundation.org/files/April 2008 Expositor_0.pdf

I have talked about the deadline Susan gave JP of April 6, 2010 to get a recommendation from their temple, otherwise she was going to divorce him. What has come to light in the last couple of days with the interviews is that there was an even earlier deadline of December 31, 2009, for JP to get more active with the church and have regular attendance.

Susan's disappearance was on a Sunday that was just 3 weeks before this deadline. That Sunday, JP did not go to church. For a lot of us, this doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but we should look at it from Susan's perspective, the problem she was trying to solve, her deadline, and what her likely reaction to this would be, also keeping in mind that her friends have said she was outspoken and not a wimp.

The argument that would have unfolded that day could have been a highly charged one with Susan having had it with JP, knowing that he was in no position to get a recommendation by the deadline. Her marriage counselor had been urging her to get a divorce, her friends were likely in similar frames of mind, and the earlier concerns about not staying true to her religious beliefs about marriage may have receded to the point she could comfortably enough say to JP that she was done with him. More than anything, I have gathered that Susan would have been doing it to ensure her sons were brought up as per Mormon doctrine, and that the marriage with JP was simply not going to work.

We know now that JP had a 15 minute conversation with SP that very day, per JP about how to make pancakes. That was Susan's last meal.

SP, with his constant nullification of Susan and her cherished Mormon beliefs, worked the spell on JP that ruined their marriage. He also probably "warned" him about the messy divorce he had, how hard and hopeless the custody battle would be in Utah, how stiff his child support payments would be, how the LDS was "behind it", and that there has to be a "better way." He over time developed this into a user-friendly method for JP to kill Susan, the feminine preferred method of poisoning the victim. That fateful Sunday, JP got worked up enough from the argument to have the nerve to go through with it.

MOO.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...fety-2-judges-may-review-case-separately.html

The Sheriff is the one who decided to take Josh's kids from him. I think this is very important that the Sheriff decided on his own to take them. To take someones kids without a really good reason opens him up to a big lawsuit. I really think they have found evidence of what happened to Susan. The kids were not taken away just because Steve is a peeping tom or looks at child *advertiser censored*. They knew his bail would not allow him to be around kids. They found some good evidence to Susans demise.

Would that NOT help to make the case he was really camping with the kids that night? Some could believe that but it could also mean he was out in the elements burying Susan's body!

eta..I can't rule out SP was there that night & he's the one that murdered Susan! Not til I hear from LE they know for a FACT he was not..OTH! How can we rule out that JP didn't take Susan to SP's for him to do the dirty deed? He was gone from around 11/12am til 5/6pm the next night IF I have this info correct.
Would a blowtorch cause such a burn if someone used cheap welding gloves? :(

I agree with the above. I think it had been planned out and that was the day it finally happened. I think Josh took so long to prepare the meal because he was hoping their guest would go home. I think he poisoned Susan's pancakes and she went to sleep. He went sledding with the boys hoping to come home to find her dead. I think she vomited or something on the living room carpet and he had to clean that up. He packed her in the back of the car and the alarm went off during that time. He then put the boys in the car and they took off to find a super good hiding spot for her body. Whether she was yet dead or died enroute, or--heaven forbid--after being left in the elements close to death, we may never know.

I believe Josh did this alone, but with close instruction and encouragement from his father in order to avoid losing the boys and paying child support. After all, that is the way the Powell family has done things for many generations.

I am not sure the stain is from Susan getting sick. Josh's sister went in with the police when they broke in and she called the Cox's and told them about the wet carpet and fans blowing on it and from that report the Cox's said they hoped the family was at an emergency room.

When the police cut the carpet out of the living room they took approx. 1/3 of the carpet in that room. There would not have been any reason to take that much if it was just vomit. If it was a blood stain that someone cleaned up they would take that much carpet for comparison test.

I am sure it was blood just not enough to prove she died there.

HatesSociopaths: I always enjoy your posts. Thank you. I agree with your scenario. I do believe that Susan's murder was premeditated. JP probably had a couple of dates and times in his mind. That 15 min call with Daddy - was the time is now. Hate to even ponder this thought, but if SP participated in the planning of Susan's death, he MAY have also had the opportunity to live out his fantasy/obsession. Drugged or deceased. Ugh. Thoughts?

Thank you. I have an impression that LE may have traced SP's moves to Ely, NV at some point, possibly the night of Susan's disappearance. Per Kiirsi in her interview, LE will not reveal where SP was that night, but that they do have info on that.

I am totally on board with your suspicion that SP may have also wanted that body. I could quote former FBI profiler Robert Ressler more on that, if interested. It is blunt and may be too disturbing for some readers, however.

The main thing is to observe SP's behavior from what we know now, recognize the fantasy driven conduct, and draw possible theories/conclusions based on past offender's fantasy driven conduct with regards to a corpse. I'll leave it at that for now.

MOO.

Can someone look up the RE info on this house? I know it can be done & it would provide the answer to how many bedrooms there are.

I would but have NO clue how to do it..I'm a stinky sleuther :(

Someone had posted info on his house previous on another thread. There are 4 bedrooms. Not to say an office could be used as one, or that the house had a full basement that Josh or boys could use. imo

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...fety-2-judges-may-review-case-separately.html

The Sheriff is the one who decided to take Josh's kids from him. I think this is very important that the Sheriff decided on his own to take them. To take someones kids without a really good reason opens him up to a big lawsuit. I really think they have found evidence of what happened to Susan. The kids were not taken away just because Steve is a peeping tom or looks at child *advertiser censored*. They knew his bail would not allow him to be around kids. They found some good evidence to Susans demise.

I don't understand putting those two little boys in foster care - why not with Susan's parents? They've been through so much - they must be very confused.

Sorry I've been MIA today.

Regarding Kiirsi's interview, I found the call from JP to SP for a pancake recipe especially telling.

I am not sure the stain is from Susan getting sick. Josh's sister went in with the police when they broke in and she called the Cox's and told them about the wet carpet and fans blowing on it and from that report the Cox's said they hoped the family was at an emergency room.

When the police cut the carpet out of the living room they took approx. 1/3 of the carpet in that room. There would not have been any reason to take that much if it was just vomit. If it was a blood stain that someone cleaned up they would take that much carpet for comparison test.

I am sure it was blood just not enough to prove she died there.

You are right. I forgot about that part where Jennifer immediately thought they must be at the hospital. Quite likely there was blood. I am also thinking of the "Oucheee Mommy" comment the little one made.

Someone had posted info on his house previous on another thread. There are 4 bedrooms. Not to say an office could be used as one, or that the house had a full basement that Josh or boys could use. imo

Tax records indicate 5 bedrooms, and I don't think they build houses around here with basements anymore. Too expensive.

Just looked at the tax info:

5 bedrooms, 2.75 baths, 3200 sq ft, paid $270k in 2004. Refi for $177k, (2nd mortgage?) this past July.

SP was a single man wasn't he when he bought the house?
His children were grown up.
Why would he buy 5 bedroom 2.75 bath house in a gated community.
On a wage from the WA. Dept of corrections?
His music sure didn't feed him.........hmmmmmm

SP was a single man wasn't he when he bought the house?
His children were grown up.
Why would he buy 5 bedroom 2.75 bath house in a gated community.
On a wage from the WA. Dept of corrections?
His music sure didn't feed him.........hmmmmmm

Hoping Susan and Josh would move back with the kids? Maybe he just likes having his freeloading adult children live with him. Then he can control every single aspect of their lives dawn to dusk.

Some interesting posts were made by Jennifer Graves' husband a while back that might be interesting to read now. Among the things he said:

>Did Josh Powell go on spending sprees?
Josh liked to spend BIG money. His purchases tended to be expensive and "fancy". example: $700 for gas powered R/C cars (multiple), large power tools for wood working, computer equipment he didn't really need but was really "neat".

>Did Josh Powell spend a lot of time on the computer?
He fancied himself a programmer. That requires a lot of computer time.

>Did Susan and Josh go grocery shopping together?
Not to my knowledge.

>When out for dinner with others at a restaurant, did Josh leave a tip?
don't know. However I do know he was cheap, so likely not, or very little.

>What were Josh's hobbies? Did he ever go hunting or fishing by himself?
He wasn't a fisherman or hunter type. His hobbies changes often, and usually involved something expensive he could spend money on. Wood working is the only hobby I know he stuck with.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97617&page=2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member