Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, Is Dead

Wow I just heard he was swimming over the stingray when he got hit by the barb. I just wonder what happened....I've never heard of them just attacking, but guess it happens. In fact swimming with stingrays and petting them is a very peaceful thing. What a horrible tragedy and a huge loss :(

Cyndi said:
So he made a mistake. which he learnt from. To us Aussies he was a special person, he has done so much for this country and wildlife in general. Why bother posting if you have just come here to call him an idiot?
This is a guy that has grown up with rescued wildlife living in his house until they were well enough to go back into their natural habitats. He was naive holding his newborn with him whilst feeding the Croc, no doubt about it and he acknowledged that after he realised what a stir he had created . His whole life revolved around caring for the animals and his family and you come here to call him an idiot because his one biggest mistake was naivetee? :(
Cyndi.......It is unbelievable that people would have any unkind words upon someones death. It is unexcusable, and disrespectful, and I am sorry.........
Some people choose to live a "happy life" and that was Steves.......
Steve always was such a happy guy......happy with his family and his chosen wonderful job. He always either left the animals in their habitat, or he placed them gently back. Sometimes in a safer location.
He was so knowledgable and fasinating to listen too. I liked to watch him with the snakes as he was always so brave.......and I am frightened by snakes so much.
I loved to watch him teach about the croc's......he taught people much about how to avoid them, or how to save yourself from one.
He was so fearless with the elephants and Oh, what were those BIG lizzards called?.........Wow, that was something to see. He went to dangerous places and did dangerous things all for our benefit. He grew up loving animals and living with, and for, animals and he tried to pass that knowledge along to us.
His children Bindy and Bob......looked so lovingly at him. They loved their dad. They were a beautiful family.......full of life and the outdoor spirit.
I appreciate his wonderful life......his smiling face.....his adventures.
We will miss seeing him here in America......no one will ever take his place.
Sundayrain......

Floh said:
HE MADE A MISTAKE!

using verbs such as "Wagged, dangled, hung, suspended, held" is wrong in that instance. IMO.

didn't do it over a croc. did take it into the enclosure, which was wrong.

IMO.
While I admired his dedication to animals, and give his family my condolences, I've got to say that I agree with Cypros... The man HELD his infant son in one arm while feeding a chicken carcass to a croc with the other hand. The infant was close to the crocodile. That croc could have lunged and taken that baby at anytime. It was stupid, thoughtless and irresponsible for Mr. Irwin to put his child in such a position. He KNEW better than anyone how irresponsible that was.

Again, the man is gone (rest in peace Mr. Irwin) but people for years will keep bringing up this subject.

He was such a great credit to his country--at first,he was only known to Aussies--but when his show aired in the United States,he acheived international fame--Most of us Americans know very little about Australia,and barely knew it existed until Paul Hogan(Crocodile Dundee) became famous in 1986---Steve Irwin has to be the most famous Australian since the Hogan Days--(ok Russell Crowe is great too)--He seemed himself to be fascinated with the United States,his Travel Channe special took him to several Western states,from the north to the south--His American wife and their two cute kids were a joy to watch--Its always a shock to see someone die who had such an incredible euthusiasm for life

MagicRose99 said:
While I admired his dedication to animals, and give his family my condolences, I've got to say that I agree with Cypros... The man HELD his infant son in one arm while feeding a chicken carcass to a croc with the other hand. The infant was close to the crocodile. That croc could have lunged and taken that baby at anytime. It was stupid, thoughtless and irresponsible for Mr. Irwin to put his child in such a position. He KNEW better than anyone how irresponsible that was.

Again, the man is gone (rest in peace Mr. Irwin) but people for years will keep bringing up this subject.

It was stupid, thoughtless and irresponsible for Mr. Irwin to put his child in such a position. He KNEW better than anyone how irresponsible that was

I agree.

but he did not hold the baby over the croc.

Floh said:
HE MADE A MISTAKE!
using verbs such as "Wagged, dangled, hung, suspended, held" is wrong in that instance. IMO.

didn't do it over a croc. did take it into the enclosure, which was wrong.

"IT" was a one month old baby boy.

Irwin not only held the infant in one arm while enticing a croc with raw meat,
00000329.gif

but he then "walked" the infant across the grass to the edge of a pool and dangled his little legs over the water while a croc was swimming nearby. This is exactly the position that so many people and animals are in when crocs or gators lunge at them on a shore and drag them into the water for lunch. It was a ridiculous display. But as I said above, I realize that he seemed to have recognized he went too far and didn't do it again. Maybe his wife knocked some sense into him. I just do not consider his form to be responsible education.

It is pretty clear from many of the posts here that even his biggest fans expected Irwin to be killed by an animal during one of his demonstrations.

shocked and saddened at this news. my prayers to his family during their time of great loss.

Cypros said:
"IT" was a one month old baby boy.

Irwin not only held the infant in one arm while enticing a croc with raw meat, but he also "walked" the infant across the grass to the edge of a pool and dangled his little legs over the water while a croc was swimming nearby. This is exactly the position that so many people and animals are in when crocs or gators lunge at them on a shore and drag them into the water for lunch. It was a ridiculous display. But as I said above, I realize that he seemed to have recognized he went too far and didn't do it again. Maybe his wife knocked some sense into him. I just do not consider his form to be responsible education.

It is pretty clear from many of the posts here that even his biggest fans expected Irwin to be killed by an animal during one of his demonstrations.

I corrected the 'it' before you posted and i agree that was an insensitive thing to say.

Irwin did not hold (wag, dangle, whatever) the baby over the croc. although to even take it into the enclosure was wrong.

Mr. Texana and I were saddened and shocked by his untimely death.

As for the opinion that he should have cut back his activities when he had children, what he did everyday was his job and his passion. That exuberant and enthusiastic attitude toward life is a great gift.

He died "with his boots on" as the saying goes.

MagicRose99 said:

I hope that a 5 minute happenstance in this mans life, does not make for his
inherent being. I believe in the "Celebration of his life" The life of an amazing man. Blessings to his family.......he will be missed.

gardenmom said:
This gives an idea of what he must have went through. God Bless his soul.

http://www.nswseakayaker.asn.au/mag/47/stingrays.html
I read this article. So, is the tail with the barb that strong and stiff that it can penetrate the chest cavity like a spear??

Surely, Steve Irwin knew the dangers of these stingrays. Do you think that he intentionally disturbed the creature? Is the footage of this accident available to view?

My whole day has taken a new direction after learning about the death of Steve Irwin. My family loved watching The Crocodile Hunter for years. When my dd was 5, she dressed up as Teri for career day in kindergarten. She wore all khaki colors w/ her hair in a pony tail. I glued a plastic lizard on her shoulder, and she carried a big rubber snake. Her little friend dressed as Steve, and he too wore the khaki colors like Steve. The two of them were just precious looking. They're in 5th grade now and still close friends who share the love of reptiles and will both be deeply saddened that Steve is gone. Both my dh and I became more fascinated w/ reptiles because of Steve. Although I don't care for snakes, I have a new respect and appreciation for them because of Steve. We presently have a Bearded Dragon, Leopard Gecko and Uromastyx and have had several various chameleons, and owe thanks to Steve for showing us the beauty in these creatures.

For those of you who can't say anything nice about Steve, please just don't comment at all. Steve was dedicated to his family and animals. I can remember the time he cried over a crocodile that died. Another time he raced against time to save a Joey whose mother had been struck by a car. Yes, he took many chances and had many close calls. I don't think for one minute that he intentionally put his son in danger. He was doing what was so natural to him and just made a bad decision to be holding his son. Please, the guy just died, let's not bash him. We've all made bad decisions. For the sake of his family and friends, let's honor this legend and remember the good in him. I am very upset over his death and my heart just aches for Teri and the children. The love this family had for one another was so evident. Thankfully, Bindi wasn't w/ Steve when he died. I had read that she was filming this movie w/ him and am so glad she didn't have to witness her daddy's death.

There will never be another Steve. He will surely be missed.

Sundayrain said:
It is unbelievable that people would have any unkind words upon someones death. It is unexcusable, and disrespectful, and I am sorry.........
Some people choose to live a "happy life" and that was Steves.......
Steve always was such a happy guy......happy with his family and his chosen wonderful job. He always either left the animals in their habitat, or he placed them gently back. Sometimes in a safer location.
He was so knowledgable and fasinating to listen too. I liked to watch him with the snakes as he was always so brave.......and I am frightened by snakes so much.
I loved to watch him teach about the croc's......he taught people much about how to avoid them, or how to save yourself from one.
He was so fearless with the elephants and Oh, what were those BIG lizzards called?.........Wow, that was something to see. He went to dangerous places and did dangerous things all for our benefit. He grew up loving animals and living with, and for, animals and he tried to pass that knowledge along to us.
His children Bindy and Bob......looked so lovingly at him. They loved their dad. They were a beautiful family.......full of life and the outdoor spirit.
I appreciate his wonderful life......his smiling face.....his adventures.
We will miss seeing him here in America......no one will ever take his place.
Sundayrain......
:clap: :clap: :clap:

kahskye said:
My whole day has taken a new direction after learning about the death of Steve Irwin. My family loved watching The Crocodile Hunter for years. When my dd was 5, she dressed up as Teri for career day in kindergarten. She wore all khaki colors w/ her hair in a pony tail. I glued a plastic lizard on her shoulder, and she carried a big rubber snake. Her little friend dressed as Steve, and he too wore the khaki colors like Steve. The two of them were just precious looking. They're in 5th grade now and still close friends who share the love of reptiles and will both be deeply saddened that Steve is gone. Both my dh and I became more fascinated w/ reptiles because of Steve. Although I don't care for snakes, I have a new respect and appreciation for them because of Steve. We presently have a Bearded Dragon, Leopard Gecko and Uromastyx and have had several various chameleons, and owe thanks to Steve for showing us the beauty in these creatures.

For those of you who can't say anything nice about Steve, please just don't comment at all. Steve was dedicated to his family and animals. I can remember the time he cried over a crocodile that died. Another time he raced against time to save a Joey whose mother had been struck by a car. Yes, he took many chances and had many close calls. I don't think for one minute that he intentionally put his son in danger. He was doing what was so natural to him and just made a bad decision to be holding his son. Please, the guy just died, let's not bash him. We've all made bad decisions. For the sake of his family and friends, let's honor this legend and remember the good in him. I am very upset over his death and my heart just aches for Teri and the children. The love this family had for one another was so evident. Thankfully, Bindy wasn't w/ Steve when he died. I had read that she was filming this movie w/ him and am so glad she didn't have to witness her daddy's death.

There will never be another Steve. He will surely be missed.

What a lovely post that is :blowkiss:

Here's a bit of an insight on what happened....also he was not working with the stingrays for his "Oceans Dealiest" show.

Irwin, 44, was killed by a stingray barb that pierced his chest, according to Cairns police sources.

Irwin was in the area to film pieces for a show called "Ocean's Deadliest" with Phillippe Cousteau, grandson of Jacques, Irwin's manager and friend John Stainton told CNN's "American Morning." But weather had prevented the crew from doing work for that program, said Stainton, so Irwin decided to do some softer features for a new children's TV show he was doing with his daughter, Bindi.

"He came over the top of a stingray that was buried in the sand, and the barb came up and hit him in the chest," said Stainton.

Wildlife documentary maker Ben Cropp, citing a colleague who saw footage of the attack, told TIME that Irwin had accidently boxed the animal in, causing it to attack. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest," said Cropp. "It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/04/australia.irwin/index.html

Man how sad. I enjoyed watching him on tv and I loved his enthusiasm and the enjoyment in his voice! I understand alot of you are upset and bringing up the incident with his baby but guys that is old news he learned from that ignorant choice and never did it again. I even remember him apologizing for that. Right now its about paying tribute to a great person ... a human being who like us makes mistakes. This guy will be truely missed by his family and by us for the entertainment value he brought us. I can say though that his death did not shock me in the least. You play with fire you will eventually get burned unfortunately.

I could not read all 5 pages of this tragedy..

but I can reply to the post I did get too..
Steve did not dangle his child over a gator. If you see the video the baby is on his far left hip.
If your life is to play with deadly things then your perception maybe is different.

I awoke this morning and checked my phone messages and my 10 YO's friend left one.
OMG there is nothing like hearing a 10 yo tell you someone died.

Amraann said:
I awoke this morning and checked my phone messages and my 10 YO's friend left one.
OMG there is nothing like hearing a 10 yo tell you someone died.

There will be many youngsters heartbroken all over the world today. :(

Sassygerl said:
Here's a bit of an insight on what happened....also he was not working with the stingrays for his "Oceans Dealiest" show.

Irwin, 44, was killed by a stingray barb that pierced his chest, according to Cairns police sources.

Irwin was in the area to film pieces for a show called "Ocean's Deadliest" with Phillippe Cousteau, grandson of Jacques, Irwin's manager and friend John Stainton told CNN's "American Morning." But weather had prevented the crew from doing work for that program, said Stainton, so Irwin decided to do some softer features for a new children's TV show he was doing with his daughter, Bindi.

"He came over the top of a stingray that was buried in the sand, and the barb came up and hit him in the chest," said Stainton.

Wildlife documentary maker Ben Cropp, citing a colleague who saw footage of the attack, told TIME that Irwin had accidently boxed the animal in, causing it to attack. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest," said Cropp. "It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/04/australia.irwin/index.html
Steve mate you will be missed.I enjoyed sitting down in front of the TV wondering what is he going to do again?
Sassy to add a little more to your article. I read another one where the barb got him under the rib cage and pentrated his Heart. Thank God Steve did not suffer.
My prayers for his family that you could tell not only Loved him but alos knew they were loved back.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back