Stress from COVID-19 reports

Forumetiolo

Reaction score
I am so stressed with the recent news such as vaccines, increased cases, and new variants. It's like it's never-ending and I'm losing my mind like what are we doing? The world's a mess and I don't think we'll ever be genuinely happy and free. I'm having anxiety attacks, especially when going out. Help. Talk to me. :(

I am so stressed with the recent news such as vaccines, increased cases, and new variants. It's like it's never-ending and I'm losing my mind like what are we doing? The world's a mess and I don't think we'll ever be genuinely happy and free. I'm having anxiety attacks, especially when going out. Help. Talk to me. :(

I understand! The pandemic has been very stressful, and then when things seemed to be improving in the spring and early summer, delta started spreading all over the country. DH and I made our first road trip in a year and a half in early June to attend a grandson's high school graduation, and we had a wonderful time. Not clear when we will feel safe enough to make another trip. (We are in our 70s so we are probably more cautious than many people.)

We are fully vaccinated and plan to get a booster this fall when we become eligible. But we know several people who have had breakthrough infections. Seems like the rules of Covid keep changing.

It seems pretty likely to me that eventually covid-19 will become endemic, like flu and cold viruses. We won't like it, but we will learn to live with it, I think. MOO

When I'm feeling stressed and anxious, I try to remember to pause and do a breathing exercise (like yoga breathing). It helps me relax and the anxiety eases. I hope you have support from family members and friends to help you cope.

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I try to ground myself whenever I'm having anxiety attacks and it helps but lately, things just got to me and it's bad. You're right. We will have to live with it eventually. I just have to be careful and live my life. I'm happy that you sound to be living a normal and happy life. Bless you.

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I try to ground myself whenever I'm having anxiety attacks and it helps but lately, things just got to me and it's bad. You're right. We will have to live with it eventually. I just have to be careful and live my life. I'm happy that you sound to be living a normal and happy life. Bless you.

In many ways we old retired folks have it easy, no young children to worry about and no jobs. We can stay home most of the time. But we’re vulnerable to Covid.

Bless you too!

Last edited:
Here's an interesting article on Covid-related stress and anxiety:
What Our New Age of Pandemic Anxiety Looks Like—And How to Deal With It

Excerpt:
Now, after 18 months of the pandemic, I can’t help but notice that the rest of the world seems to be struggling with the kind of anxiety that I was born with. After a brief respite, after a few months of cockeyed optimism, COVID anxiety is back. According to a recent Associated Press and NORC institution poll, 41 percent of respondents said they were “extremely or very worried that they or a member of their family would become infected.” As someone who has struggled for much of my life with health anxiety, I say, “Welcome.”

“People felt like they could relax a little, and then Delta came,” says Lori Gottlieb, author of Maybe You Should Talk to Someone. “I think people are feeling vulnerable with the new strain because they feel like even if they take every precaution, they still could get sick or someone they love could get sick. People who weren’t aware of their mortality have become very aware of it.”

I’m sorry :(

Had a little pandemic breakdown this past 4th of July weekend. Legit sobbing in the shower event. Guess I’d been mostly bottling it up for a while.

I’ve had a few random anxiety attacks. And honestly I don’t remember specifically what set them off. But I hate them :confused: Yesterday had to take a cab to a dr appt. I thought that would do it for sure lol but I managed to be ok with it mostly. Double masked. Lots of sanitizer etc.

we’ve had several mindfulness type apps recommended by different counselors. I’ll post back with those but there are many good ones. My young adult family members weren’t into them at all just FYI I tried a few but you only get so much access for free. I hate to buy apps haha
I probably would give them another go.

One could use legal medicinal products that help with stress. But obviously that’s a very personal thing.

I’m struggling seeing the end of this -however it goes- myself. It’s been a tough loooong two years :oops:

eta-if I wasn’t following here I would have to think the entire world had lost its mind. Just boggling. And still hard to grasp sometimes.

We’re always here if you need to vent or whatever. Or to just not talk about covid . :)

eta-I almost went completely off topic about Columbo in the other covid thread :D restrained myself

Last edited:
There is such a thing as COVID burn out. Where you get so stressed out by every news development that it's just overwhelming. I know I was like this last year, seeking out every news article. Watching all the counters go up. Viewing case, hospitalization and death stats daily, sometimes even hourly. It was like an obsession and just got to be too much and my anxiety was through the roof.

So I made myself take longer breaks from watching the news on TV or online. Just got updates once a week. Tried to focus on what I was doing to keep myself and my family protected - such as making sure I was keeping up the hygiene regimen, restocking masks, grocery planning to cut down on how many times I had to go out, making sure I knew when I was eligible for vaccination etc. Immersed myself in hobbies such as gardening, playing computer games and trying new exciting cooking recipes. Reinstated movie night for the whole family. Basically reminded myself what we are all fighting for.

It really helped me regain some perspective.

My city is currently in lockdown for another fortnight, but I am feeling much more zen about things this time.

If you focus on day to day things, and try not to get bogged down in the alarming reports, it does make things a little easier. I'm not saying ignore the news, of course, but try to ration it better, for your own mental wellbeing.

*hugs*

Big hugs @Forumetiolo! You are not alone. A lot of us are struggling to keep our balance in the midst of what feels like and IS chaos. My dh and I are in our mid-70’s, have already had Covid in February, are fully vaxxed and living in one of the nation’s current hotspots for Covid (Southern Oregon) thanks to vax-resisters. We have had to restrict our lives (again) because of Delta and it does feel never-ending. I’ve had some sobbing melt-downs recently, which isn’t the norm for me…probably due to poor sleep.

I’m someone who likes to stay informed, but too much of that can be a curse. So I’m trying to back off from reading things that make me mad (like Facebook comments on local Covid news stories :mad:). I’m trying to add in extra positive things like music, making something pretty with my beads, staying in touch with friends and old TV show reruns…which is how @weepingangel almost went off topic about Columbo on the main thread :D…my dh and I binge-watched a bunch of episodes…a nice distraction.

eta-I almost went completely off topic about Columbo in the other covid thread :D restrained myself

I think distraction is key, so I hope we can all find what brings us some joy even as we keep one eye on things going on that we need to know. You can vent here! :)

I have anxiety under normal circumstances, and the ongoing pandemic has definitely increased my level of stress. I'm 71 and have asthma, so the thought of getting Covid is unsettling. My physician told me to avoid "Covid scrolling" because it would contribute to my level of anxiety. I've never liked charts and graphs, so that part has been easy, but I was interested in the vaccines and did a lot of research in the weeks leading up to my shots in March. I would occasionally read the main Covid thread on this forum but really didn't participate much until recently. I mute the TV when Covid reports are featured, and I don't watch CDC press conferences. There has been much conflicting information from government agencies, and it's difficult to decipher what is accurate or not.

More recently, as schools reopen locally and across the country, I am interested in how things will go with some schools/districts mandating masks, while parent groups in favor of or against mask mandates protest or file lawsuits. I'm glad that I don't have to make a decision about masks in classrooms as a parent or teacher. I would want to do what is in the best interest of my child, students, and building staff, but I'm afraid that being forced to wear a mask for several hours during the school day will cause a high level of stress for everyone. JMO

Sending hugs to you! You're definitely not alone.

I like to stay informed, but it can easily become overwhelming for me as well. It's a very fine line for me.

Like others have said - distraction helps! So I'm going to share a list of some things that have been helpful for me.

-crocheting! I volunteer for an organization called Comfort for Critters. Blankets are made for shelter animals and sent home with them when adopted to help them adjust to their forever home. I don't want to go on about that too much but there's more info on the website, www.comfortforcritters.org
We always need more people if that's something anyone wants to do! It brings me joy and I've found crochet to be a great anxiety reliever.

-soothing videos/sounds. My favorite is a YouTube channel called Calmed By Nature. The rainy coffee shop videos are amazing! I wind down with those at night sometimes while crocheting or having tea.

-guided imagery/meditation. I actually looked into this recently when nervous about getting my Covid shot. There are YouTube videos that walk you through it, it's all about imagining a place where you feel calm and relaxed. It's my favorite waterfall/state park for me as it brings a lot of good childhood memories up. It's helped me fall asleep a few nights already.

-houseplants! I started with a spider plant cutting a friend sent me. Now I have a few more plants that are beautiful but low maintenance. The greenery makes me happy and I love seeing them grow.

I actually deactivated my personal social media account/FB back in January as well and it's been such a good thing for me. That has become quite a stressful place to me personally throughout the pandemic.

Those are the main things that have helped me. So much of this is out of our control and that takes a heavy toll if we let it. Try to bring the focus back to what you can do to protect yourself/your family. And finding small ways to add some joy and peace into your life. It won't change the circumstances of what we're living through but it has made it a little more bearable for me. Hope that helps <3

Sending hugs to you! You're definitely not alone.

I like to stay informed, but it can easily become overwhelming for me as well. It's a very fine line for me.

Like others have said - distraction helps! So I'm going to share a list of some things that have been helpful for me.

-crocheting! I volunteer for an organization called Comfort for Critters. Blankets are made for shelter animals and sent home with them when adopted to help them adjust to their forever home. I don't want to go on about that too much but there's more info on the website, www.comfortforcritters.org
We always need more people if that's something anyone wants to do! It brings me joy and I've found crochet to be a great anxiety reliever.

-soothing videos/sounds. My favorite is a YouTube channel called Calmed By Nature. The rainy coffee shop videos are amazing! I wind down with those at night sometimes while crocheting or having tea.

-guided imagery/meditation. I actually looked into this recently when nervous about getting my Covid shot. There are YouTube videos that walk you through it, it's all about imagining a place where you feel calm and relaxed. It's my favorite waterfall/state park for me as it brings a lot of good childhood memories up. It's helped me fall asleep a few nights already.

-houseplants! I started with a spider plant cutting a friend sent me. Now I have a few more plants that are beautiful but low maintenance. The greenery makes me happy and I love seeing them grow.

I actually deactivated my personal social media account/FB back in January as well and it's been such a good thing for me. That has become quite a stressful place to me personally throughout the pandemic.

Those are the main things that have helped me. So much of this is out of our control and that takes a heavy toll if we let it. Try to bring athe focus back to what you can do to protect yourself/your family. And finding small ways to add some joy and peace into your life. It won't change the circumstances of what we're living through but it has made it a little more bearable for me. Hope that helps <3

Such lovely ideas @Turkeytrot! Thank you for the coffeehouse video idea…so mellow. You’re so wise to cut out negative social media. Social media can be a blessing or a curse. For me it’s a blessing and it has helped me cope with the isolation of the pandemic. I have kept my Instagram account and only follow or have followers who are friends I know well. We post about our lives, kids, grandkids, pets, gardens, projects, happy memories of loved ones who have died (many losses this year, though not from Covid). One amateur photographer friend has posted a photo and a positive thought each day for over a year! IG has helped me stay connected to them, support them and cheer them on, even though I don’t post often. Today however, I really needed some comforting hugs after getting the heartbreaking news that a much younger friend who lives far away had died suddenly. I posted some photos and wrote about him through my tears. The outpouring of loving comments soothed my heart and it wouldn’t have been possible without IG.

good post Turkeytrot !

Ooo the key to social media is who you follow for sure :D
I’m very particular - keep your circle small right - so it’s almost always a nice not stressful activity. I watch very little tv news. (Mostly just the weather)

Such lovely ideas @Turkeytrot! Thank you for the coffeehouse video idea…so mellow. You’re so wise to cut out negative social media. Social media can be a blessing or a curse. For me it’s a blessing and it has helped me cope with the isolation of the pandemic. I have kept my Instagram account and only follow or have followers who are friends I know well. We post about our lives, kids, grandkids, pets, gardens, projects, happy memories of loved ones who have died (many losses this year, though not from Covid). One amateur photographer friend has posted a photo and a positive thought each day for over a year! IG has helped me stay connected to them, support them and cheer them on, even though I don’t post often. Today however, I really needed some comforting hugs after getting the heartbreaking news that a much younger friend who lives far away had died suddenly. I posted some photos and wrote about him through my tears. The outpouring of loving comments soothed my heart and it wouldn’t have been possible without IG.

I still use Instagram! My Facebook feed just seemed full of folks arguing (even at this point) over masking, whether Covid is real, vaccines, etc. And those people on my list are family members - deleting them would be a whole other can of worms that I don't want to deal with haha.

good post Turkeytrot !

Ooo the key to social media is who you follow for sure :D
I’m very particular - keep your circle small right - so it’s almost always a nice not stressful activity. I watch very little tv news. (Mostly just the weather)

That's very true!

We got rid of cable a couple of weeks ago so that's helped me too.

ADMIN NOTE:

This entire Covid forum is for people who are concerned about Covid-19. It is not for anyone who is here with a view to minimizing it or downplaying the severity of it.

If you aren't concerned about Covid, this is not the forum for you. There are lots of other Websleuths threads you can participate in that need your help.

Any further attempts to downplay the virus or the pandemic will result in a 3 month Time Out from Websleuths.

While it's true that media has focused on this "uptick," it really is nothing like the big waves of COVID we originally had, that peaked last January.

This wave appears to be about to stall out and will probably become a plateau in the graphs for a while, or decline. We are at about half the daily cases that we had last Fall-Winter.

United States COVID: 40,040,172 Cases and 657,470 Deaths - Worldometer

And before anyone gets anxious about seasonal changes, it's really more about human behavior. As more and more people get vaccinated, these upticks will be smaller each time.

Just keep swimming! Only about 0.4% of new cases in US, UK, Australia, elsewhere...are among the vaccinated. Zero Point Four. It's actually kind of crazy how people think the vaccines don't work. The rate is higher among the newly vaccinated and those with only one dose of a two dose regimen (and slightly greater for Astra-Zeneca and Johnson/Johnson, but still such a small number).

We're hearing lots of sad and terrible stories because for the most part, it's under 50s who are unvaccinated and Delta is ripping through their population - but not if they are vaccinated. So the good news is that we vaccinated people are highly unlikely to get or transmit COVID and current uptick is way less than previous upswing.

I hear ya. Hang in there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back