Students in MAGA hats taunting elder at Indigenous People's March

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by SaguaroSpirit, Jan 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dude

The Dude Tying the room together

But... wait... the boy's mother said that they were being harassed by black Muslims. I saw one black guy in that entire video, and he's a Rastafarian. And he didn't say anything. I think mom must have been mistaken. :rolleyes:

ETA: Ok some black dudes at the end. That had nothing to do with the drum guy. It's all just ridiculous.

human, kimpage, SaguaroSpirit and 7 others like this.

2. ZaZara

ZaZara Well-Known Member

Well that was quick. Video was taken down. Sad to see it go. It sheds a totally different light on the situation that the frame that is presented by MSM.

Hope this kid and his family are OK. He did nothing wrong.

WildWest and Gumbeaux like this.
  3. matou

matou #los2188

Kid is a psychopath. Jmo.

human, kimpage, LeeAnnB and 8 others like this.
  4. HoneyWest

HoneyWest Well-Known Member

The Indigenous People's March had been planned for a year now, to raise awareness of issues that affect Indigenous People all over the world, including, but not limited to the Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women crisis #MMIW. The government shutdown has no part in what the various marches intended to bring attention to. My question is why in the world would these young men stray from their anti-abortion rally to the Indigenous People's March which ended at the Lincoln Memorial?

I am a Native American Tsalagi woman and I've never in my life shown an ounce of disrespect to an Elder. I can't comprehend doing so. I don't know any Natives who would dare disrespect an Elder.

Nathan Phillips is a greatly respected Elder from the Omaha Nation, a Vietnam Veteran, a former Director of the Native Youth Alliance, and a holder of the sacred pipe. He also holds annual sacred pipe ceremonies to honor Veterans at Arlington National Park.

Let me remind you all of something. Things such as this happen regularly to Indigenous People. This is not unusual behavior, but for some reason this instance got the attention of a huge audience. Listen to Natives when they speak. Don't take up their spaces. Don't tell us we're wrong for feeling or reacting a certain type of way.

compass, human, kimpage and 26 others like this.
  5. matou

matou #los2188

And he genuinely cares for young people.

human, kimpage, SaguaroSpirit and 7 others like this.
  6. BayouBelle_LA

BayouBelle_LA Well-Known Member

Was it the video at this link?

Native American Vietnam Veteran Speaks Out After MAGA Hat-Wearing Teens Harass Him

The man appears to walk over to the kid and stands directly in front of him. The kid doesn't say a word.

WildWest and TMAN2014 like this.
  7. ZaZara

ZaZara Well-Known Member

WildWest, Cubby, TMAN2014 and 2 others like this.
  8. kimlynn

kimlynn Former Member

The student (grey jacket) is to the left of Nathan with other students in front of him. At some point he must have worked his way over to the right toward Nathan because he ends up standing in front of him blocking his path.
    IMO

9. doublestop

doublestop Well-Known Member

What are the kids chanting while jumping up and down?

SugarQueen likes this.
  10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

And in the videos I saw and listened to, and some eyewitness reports, said the incident was not that at all. I did see Mr. Phillips march up to the group of boys and then into it, so it definitely was he and his group that approached the boys. The one boy in the hat did nothing at all- basically, no response. There's more to the story, it's already been spun totally out of control ( as are most things these days) and all "sides" need to sit down and have a respectful chat with each other and issue apologies where needed. End of story.

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

A school chant, apparently, from those that were there. I couldn't understand all of it but what I could sure sounded like it. It wasn't "build a wall."

12. Sarahlou

Sarahlou Well-Known Member

Absolutely vile. This makes me so angry.

human, Betty P, SaguaroSpirit and 2 others like this.
  13. Angleterre

Angleterre Well-Known Member

14. Angleterre

Angleterre Well-Known Member

It sounded to me like “LETS GO HOME” that they were chanting as they all turned en masse to leave as they saw the coaches arrive
    I may be wrong....

15. mtnlites

mtnlites President of the Imaginary Friends' Club

It's the smug look on that one kid's face that probably angers me the most. Every time I see it, my blood pressure rises.

compass, angelainwi, human and 8 others like this.
  16. TMAN2014

TMAN2014 Well-Known Member

I watched the video above. I did not see the young man do anything but stand there, while some rude fella beat a drum near his face. I do take exception to the second young guy, who must have failed history.

Cubby likes this.
  17. SugarQueen

SugarQueen Well-Known Member

The video just makes me angry. If I was the parent of one of those teens my child would be apologizing. As for the one who doesn’t know history? If I was his parent he would be spending a large amount of time hitting the books and learning about it.
    I surely wouldn’t be the parent standing up for my child in this situation. I would be too horrified that my child, if nothing else, blocked the path of an elderly man.

angelainwi, human, Betty P and 3 others like this.
  18. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

Quite honestly, some of these videos show the Native Americans in a bad light, and sometimes it seems everyone is a "pipe" carrier. Too many chiefs and not enough . . .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2019
    TMAN2014 likes this.
  19. matou

matou #los2188

On the school website, it looks like one kid is showing hand signs of some kind.

www.covcath.org

DxTHEbwWoAApc93.jpg_large.jpg

20. ZaZara

ZaZara Well-Known Member

He did not "block the path of an elderly man." The man walked towards the group, with another man with a camera in his wake.

Tripod, Cubby, BayouBelle_LA and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.