Sudden heatwave causes collapsed roofs on row of £1million houses in south London

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, May 23, 2012.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Yikes! A rise of 10º Celsius is equal to that of 50º Fahrenheit, btw.

Families flee after roofs on row of £1million houses COLLAPSE in London street because of sudden change in temperatures
    more, with pictures, at Daily Mail link above

2. Loading...

3. Nova

Nova New Member

I don't understand the concept, wfgodot. Here in the desert we are used to temps over 110 Farenheit and below freezing. Of course that's not usually on the same day, but a 50 degree (still Farenheit) difference between day and night temps is not at all uncommon.

Our roofs don't fall in because of it. ???

4. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Yeah, I was also wondering. A matter of different kind of construction techniques in Victorian-era England? A weird thing, whatever.

Incidentally, I've read a few of Will Self's things and he comes highly recommended. Sorry his roof fell in, but his subsequent account will be entertaining.

5. HMSHood

HMSHood Admiral-Class Battlecruiser

London is not use to hot weather as they are further north, but not too cold despite being further north than parts of Canada. It is because of the Gulf Stream.