Suffolk Police Commissioner Geraldine Hart to step down next month

Because leaving the Top Cop job in one of the biggest police departments in the US, in favor of a college security job, makes total sense... Something afoot??? And wondering who the new Commish could be... @hawkshaw @Ironbutterfly8
Old news to me. She was just there for decoration. Nice lady but

Old news to me. She was just there for decoration. Nice lady but
That story has been out for months now. I heard it was a similar gig not Hofstra. I forget what it was

Hiring her never made sense to me. Recently it was said in the papers that recently she had breast cancer. I would not violate her privacy by saying that. She did good things for the Pd. But why would you consider such a person in a stressful job? Why would you take it. Some months ago I heard she was going to quit and it made sense to me. IMO she should have not taken the job tor offered it. Her health is more important. I wish her well. If I was the powers that be I would offer the job to Ray Tierney in the hope he takes it and quits his bid to run for DA. In Suffolk County they need the status quo to survive. Tierney as DA will not give them that. Just sayin

Not surprising in my opinion. I think she realized that SCPD is too FUBAR to be fixed. At least she helped facilitate some new information to the public on this case during her tenure.

Because leaving the Top Cop job in one of the biggest police departments in the US, in favor of a college security job, makes total sense... Something afoot??? And wondering who the new Commish could be... @hawkshaw @Ironbutterfly8
From what I've read, Chief of department Stuart Cameron will serve as acting Commissioner until a replacement is named.

Typical SC BS. "Nationwide Hunt" etc. The last time they did such a hunt they got an empty suit named Weber. BS piled on BS. They also got a guy named Jimmy Burke as Chief of Department. Months and months of searching the country and this is what they got. They can pick a Pope faster than that. Will we see white smoke coming from. the chimney in Yaphank.

They have a deputy commissioner who would fit the current bill perfectly. Bellone can stack up the brownie points big time for Newsday to write about it.

The whole thing is a joke, but I'm not laughing.

Typical SC BS. "Nationwide Hunt" etc. The last time they did such a hunt they got an empty suit named Weber. BS piled on BS. They also got a guy named Jimmy Burke as Chief of Department. Months and months of searching the country and this is what they got. They can pick a Pope faster than that. Will we see white smoke coming from. the chimney in Yaphank.

They have a deputy commissioner who would fit the current bill perfectly. Bellone can stack up the brownie points big time for Newsday to write about it.

So Sad

Too big a pay cut for any current chiefs. Reason the last two have been outsiders.

Why don’t they just Noel the PC and make it official

the deputy commissioner Mention-Lewis seems to be a

She can hang out with Gail Prudenti

You always tell it the way it is Hawkshaw, you are an honorable guy, not to mention an honorable courageous homicide detective! They don't make them like you any more!

More credit than I deserve, but thanx anyway. OK, I get it now after going back over previous posts. When the FBI came to my house to interview me on my SIL's case the ONLY thing they seemed to care about was the PBA as to how they divert money to wherever. I had no clue and really don't know what they're driving about

More credit than I deserve, but thanx anyway. OK, I get it now after going back over previous posts. When the FBI came to my house to interview me on my SIL's case the ONLY thing they seemed to care about was the PBA as to how they divert money to wherever. I had no clue and really don't know what they're driving about

Just looking for a story, and thought they could uncover more Suffolk County corruption so they could be heros.

How do you like the latest story: The 17 Million Dollar Man? Government sentencing report for Spota puts Tom's net worth at $17M !!! Defense lawyers are countering with Tom needs to be near his medical team. And there goes the last of a lot of BS to keep Tom out of jail. It now seems Tom has enough money to try to make arrangements to have his medical team visit him in prison. Take the rubber band off the bankroll, Tommy.

And so it goes...

Suffolk's top cop Geraldine Hart leaves job after 3-year-tenure

"Suffolk County Police Commissioner Geraldine Hart, the first woman to lead the 2,400-officer department, walked out of her 3-year-post Friday following a ceremony at police headquarters in Yaphank.

The top cop, who spent the past week packing boxes and offering farewells to members of the department she's led since 2018, told Newsday the most memorable moments of her tenure include leading the department in the aftermath of a series of corruption scandals, comforting the families of homicide victims and breaking new ground on high-profile investigations including the Gilgo killings case.

Hart also led the department as it contended with MS-13 street violence, a deadly opioid epidemic and the global coronavirus pandemic.

She exited the department headquarters for the final time Friday with her son CJ to applause from officers and agency brass. Hart accepted flowers and plaques from law enforcement officials and gave her parents, John and Patricia, a tight embrace.

"I can’t tell you how much you all mean to me," Hart told the crowd before exiting to a waiting car. "I say there’s no crying in policing. I will not do that. But you will be in my heart and my prayers always. And I just want you to take care of yourself. I love you."

Retired NYPD Sgt. John Hart of Northport said he was proud of his daughter and her accomplishments.

"She works hard and deserves everything she gets," he said. " … She always does the best."

Bonnie Raber, a sergeant in the department’s communicate relations bureau, said was inspiring having a female commissioner.

"Not only was she an amazing commissioner but she was an amazing example of any law enforcement leader, female or non-female," Raber said. " … She’s an inspiration not only to me but to so many young officers in the recruitment process right now."

Hart is leaving at a time when Long Island — and rest of the nation — continue to wrestle with the role of law enforcement in the aftermath of George Floyd’s death while in police custody in Minneapolis last year.

"That is an important conversation and I don’t want to diminish it," said Hart, 53, who is leaving her $175,000 salary to become Hofstra University’s director of public safety. "But it is important to remember all that is good in policing."

She also leaves the department as it is poised to implement a number of reforms, including expanded use of body cameras, deployment of mental health and substance abuse experts to some 911 calls and designation of the Suffolk County Human Rights Commission to review and report on police misconduct. Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo ordered departments across the state to review policing practices and develop policies to eliminate racial bias after Floyd’s death.

While some members of the advisory panel that helped draw up the reforms contend it did not go far enough, they recognized Hart’s efforts to hear their concerns.

"We really wanted to hear from people, and this is a lesson I will carry forward," Hart said. "People deserve to be heard."

Serena Liguori, director of New Hour, a social services agency that works with incarcerated women in Suffolk, said she'll miss Hart.

"She has been vigilant about attending every meeting and listening to everyone, even if they were saying something she didn’t agree with," said Liguori, a member of Suffolk police reform task force. "She’s a forward thinker and this is a loss for the department."

Legis. Robert Trotta, a former Suffolk police officer and frequent critic of the department’s administration, said he thinks Hart left because of recent allegations the department is facing of promotional exam cheating and police union spending.

"She did the best she could given the fact she was given little control of the continuing corruption scandals," said Trotta (R-Fort Salonga). "Given her integrity, I understand completely why she’s leaving."

Supporters say one of Hart’s biggest achievement was the new energy brought to the Gilgo Beach murders investigation, which had been hobbled by decisions from a prior administration to exclude the FBI from involvement, and from infighting between law-enforcement agencies.

Hart announced last year that the department had positively identified a woman whose remains were found on Gilgo Beach in 2011 and in Manorville in 2000, a major development in 10-year-old unsolved case.

Hart, who spent 21 years with the FBI and led the Long Island Gang Task Force, pushed the department to work with the FBI to use cutting-edge DNA technique called genetic genealogy analysis to identify the woman, Valerie Mack.

"It was important to be more transparent with the evidence, including scientific technology," she said.

Hart released images of a belt found at one crime scene and believed to have been handled by the suspect, and created a website to gather tips from the public. No arrests have been made.

"Commissioner Hart has led the department with integrity, skill, grace and we are incredibly grateful," County Executive Steve Bellone said Friday during a ceremony in Yaphank honoring fallen officers.

Hart was initially reluctant to play up her role as a pioneer who shattered a glass ceiling, but later embraced it to encourage other women to work in law-enforcement. But she conceded Friday that it was difficult to overcome stereotypes about women in law enforcement.

"I hope here that I have been some sort of role model for young women so that it becomes more common for them to be in this position," Hart said.

Chief of Department Stuart Cameron will serve as acting commissioner as the county conducts a nationwide search for Hart’s replacement.

Hart said she also continued efforts to improve relations with Suffolk’s Latino community, which had accused police of acting indifferently toward crimes against Hispanic residents even after a group of teenagers killed Ecuadorian immigrant Marcelo Lucero in Patchogue in 2008. The U.S. Justice Department launched an investigation into those allegations and entered an agreement in 2014 with Suffolk police to reform policing.

Hart said those efforts, along with the reform plan developed in the past year, will make the Suffolk a model for the nation.

"We have held people accountable and we have developed best practices," Hart said. "We have become a major player."

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back