Summer is murder season in Australia: Why do people kill when it’s hot?

Bohemian

Reaction score
news.com.au
Jason Murphy
NOVEMBER 12, 2017 8:34pm

‘WHEN you think of dangers in an Australian summer, you probably worry about getting caught in a rip at the beach. What you may not know is that murder rates rise in summer.

The pattern is clear. December, January, February and March are the worst months for homicide in Australia, with December the worst. Murder dips dramatically in winter.’

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Source: https://infogram.com/760678e1-382a-458f-a84f-88ae26366632

‘Why are people more violent at certain times of year?

In Australia’s tropical north, the seasonal spike of violence is so clear it has been studied by several academics. They pin the rise in aggression to warm weather, a trend observed worldwide.’

Read more at:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...t/news-story/fab7d53e3497f766456b929aea1336ea

Christmas time, whether in winter or summer is stressful and could contribute to December being the month with the most murders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pattern is clear. December, January, February and March are the worst months for homicide in Australia, with December the worst. Murder dips dramatically in winter.’

In the UK, almost all violent inner city riots occur during the height of summer. These riots almost always occur in areas where tensions seem never to be too far from the surface, but they have a tendancy to boil over when the thermometer rises.

Christmas time, whether in winter or summer is stressful and could contribute to December being the month with the most murders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if the stats are reversed in countries where Summer occurs from May through July?

In the UK, almost all violent inner city riots occur during the height of summer. These riots almost always occur in areas where tensions seem never to be too far from the surface, but they have a tendancy to boil over when the thermometer rises.

It seems weird that the seasons seem to have an effect on violent crime in the UK too. My guess would be that excessive alcohol consumption would be a contributor, as well as the warm temperatures at night which would give people more opportunity to come into contact with one another. It’s interesting that Thursday is ‘peak murder’ too. I know ‘hump day’ (Wednesday) is a tough one but, jeez, chill out — the weekend’s not that far away!

Based on my experience, people get angry and agitated much easier when it is hot out. The heat can make a person uncomfortable due to sweating etc. Adding an additional stessor makes some individuals overload and explode.

Based on my experience, people get angry and agitated much easier when it is hot out. The heat can make a person uncomfortable due to sweating etc. Adding an additional stessor makes some individuals overload and explode.

I don’t like the extreme heat of Summer. I find it very stressful, along with the humidity, noise, crowds, etc. Instead of committing homicide :D I stay indoors* as much as possible, chill out and stay hydrated. Simples!

(*Also I’m not in a relationship so that nixes the DV component.)

Murders are higher in the summer heat here, too (May through August).

That’s interesting. It makes me wonder if murder rates are higher in tropical climates vs the more temperate but on the same continent.

That’s interesting. It makes me wonder if murder rates are higher in tropical climates vs the more temperate but on the same continent.

Last summer it was brutally hot in countries below the equator. Were there more homicides last summer? Any statistics? It was difficult to walk because it was so hot.

So far the weather is not too bad.

Last summer it was brutally hot in countries below the equator. Were there more homicides last summer? Any statistics? It was difficult to walk because it was so hot.

So far the weather is not too bad.

That’s an interesting question. I don’t know!

I don’t like the extreme heat of Summer. I find it very stressful, along with the humidity, noise, crowds, etc. Instead of committing homicide :D I stay indoors* as much as possible, chill out and stay hydrated. Simples!

(*Also I’m not in a relationship so that nixes the DV component.)

Depending where you live and how much money you have, there may be no way to escape the heat.

While Christmas is a stressor, I do think the increased violent crime in Australian summer is mostly heat rather than holiday related. Some time back I asked a criminal lawyer in NT whether hot weather decreased crime by making people less energetic and less inclined to venture outdoors, or the reverse. He said he had a lot more work in summer because the heat "makes them mad".

Depending where you live and how much money you have, there may be no way to escape the heat.

While Christmas is a stressor, I do think the increased violent crime in Australian summer is mostly heat rather than holiday related. Some time back I asked a criminal lawyer in NT whether hot weather decreased crime by making people less energetic and less inclined to venture outdoors, or the reverse. He said he had a lot more work in summer because the heat "makes them mad".

I like that. Straight from the horse’s mouth. (Also, maybe we Aussies should start hydrating our brains with water in the Summer — rather than marinating them in alcohol.)

news.com.au
Jason Murphy
NOVEMBER 12, 2017 8:34pm

‘WHEN you think of dangers in an Australian summer, you probably worry about getting caught in a rip at the beach. What you may not know is that murder rates rise in summer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Source: https://infogram.com/760678e1-382a-458f-a84f-88ae26366632

‘Why are people more violent at certain times of year?

In Australia’s tropical north, the seasonal spike of violence is so clear it has been studied by several academics. They pin the rise in aggression to warm weather, a trend observed worldwide.’

Read more at:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...t/news-story/fab7d53e3497f766456b929aea1336ea

When I think of the dangers of an Australian summer, it usually involves hideous spiders, snakes, and other creatures sent from Satan to kill humans in Australia! Lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back