Supermoon Rises in Weekend Night Sky Sunday

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Dark Knight, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

The largest full moon of 2013, a so-called "supermoon," will light up the night sky this weekend, but there's more to this lunar delight than meets the eye.
    On Sunday, June 23, at 7 a.m. EDT (1100 GMT), the moon will arrive at perigee — the point in its orbit bringing it closest to Earth), a distance of 221,824 miles (356,991 kilometers). Now the moon typically reaches perigee once each month (and on some occasions twice), with their respective distances to Earth varying by 3 percent.

http://news.yahoo.com/supermoon-rises-weekend-night-sky-sunday-105859644.html

2. Loading...

3. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

Very cool. Last year a friend wanted to take photos of the dogs on the 2012 supermoon. We drove out to an awesome cemetery and....well....not sure what happened but we totally missed it when it came over the horizon. One minute we were saying "This seems to be taking a long time, the moon was supposed to rise 20 minutes ago" and the next we saw a tiny risen moon over the horizon.

Bit let down!

Maybe near dawn it is easier to notice?

4. Dewey2Me1MoThyme

Dewey2Me1MoThyme Have clue will sleuth!

That ought to bring the lunatics out of the woodwork around here. :(

5. Show Me

Show Me New Member

Hahaha....funny!

I saw the supermoon one morning a few years ago on the way to work. It was incredibly Humongous. It was setting and at least 2-3 times the size. Something about it setting in the horizon increased it size.

So cool. Gonna try to see it again.