Support Thread: Gerus and Bones (K9's)

I posted this earlier. I spoke with a OC Deputy this morning. Gerus is "Retired" and Living with JF. JF has a new dog he works with.

I posted this earlier. I spoke with a OC Deputy this morning. Gerus is "Retired" and Living with JF. JF has a new dog he works with.

you brightened my day back up! I was so sad to think he had died. Thanks for getting the scoop! :)

Go Gerus! :great:

Go Bones! :rocker:

:blowkiss:

Loved hearing the excellent work & handling of Gerus....

~proud GSD mom too!

Mr. Forgey is doing an amazing job ♥
Yay for Gerus & Bones ♥♥♥

I am going to have to learn how to post a picture just so I can show off our glorious GSD.

She was in training as a Rescue dog and explosives sniffer when they decided she was too frightened by loud noises. They tried taking her to the shooting range to help her get over her fear, but it did not work. She, to this day, hides under the bed or behind the couch on the 4th of July.
But she LOVES to search for things. We play hide n seek all of the time with her. And we hide things, first give her the mell, then make her sit out on the patio while we go inside and hide it out of sight in any of the rooms. She LOVES to tear thru the house sniffing everywhere. She goes in little mini circles which get smaller and smaller until she hits on the smell. Even if it is inside a box or a drawer she will find it eventually. We hide tennis balls or treats and she finds them every time.
One night the back gate was left open and our DD's chihuahua got loose. We couldnt find him anywhere so we took our GSD search dog out to help us find him. She found 2 tennis balls on our search, but no little missing dogs. When we got back our little pup was sitting waiting on the patio chair.

I have had many dogs and have always wanted a GSD but never have.

I think it goes back to my childhood days of watching Rin Tin Tin!

They are very smart and very loyal.

Dogs are amazing creatures, no doubt about it. I just melt when I see a beautiful GSD at work. When my golden had to be euthanized last yr, my vet office made a donation to my local police force K9 unit in her name. {sniff}

I really admire all that the dogs can do for law enforcement and the other ways they help people. I adore German shepherd dogs. My sable colored German shepherd and my yellow lab are both in agility and both also work as therapy dogs at an assisted living home. One of my pitbulls also works as a therapy dog. The German shepherd has a strong herding instinct and loves to herd things (cats, other dogs). We need to train her for more jobs to satisfy her need to work. I have trained dogs for 50 years and do dog training every day with my dogs. Its something I really enjoy.

spring046.jpg

My big boy :)

Tulessa, your GSD is stunning! I have a GSD, too:seeya:

K9 Gerus has an impressive training record and glad he has a home with his handler now that hes retired:)

Well, I haven't had too much to add yet, but I will have to say that I have had GSD's all my life and they are my dog of choice (hence my screen name). They are undisputedly accurate with both their nose and ears. Never had any fear being alone in my house with a GSD near. Scary thing is when they pop up their heads in the middle of a quiet nite and give that low, gutteral growl like GGGGGGRRRRRRRRR. Always makes me sit up and go look out the window. I trust their judgement.

They will alert to some unseen or unheard (by humans) danger just because it's their job....and they are glad to do it for us. They are born body guards and extremely loyal to their masters.

I grew up with a GSD and my neighbors currently have a stunning GSD - I love and adore these dogs so much! The cadaver dogs especially blow me away. I considered a career in dog handling but it wasn't meant to be. Much love and support for these dogs, their handlers, and everyone who has unfortunately needed their services.

As a foster mom for YTNR (yorkierescue.com) I had the pleasure recently to meet a retired Undercover Narcotics LE officer and his wife as I did their home inspection before they were approved to adopt one of our little ones.

The wife had mentioned that her husband had been in with the K9 unit during his career in LE. At one point during our conversation that day, Bob (I'll call him) stood up and asked if he could show me something. He stepped out and returned with a framed photo of his beloved K9 whom had worked along side of him until his retirement. Not only did his "girl" retire with him but, after she passed away, she was cremated and he has her ashes next to her picture on his dresser. It was such an honor to talk with him about his "girl"!

Who would think this big burley man would go from German Shepards to Yorkies...

PS...Yeh, for Deputy Forgey and his brilliant testimony today and for all the work you and Gerus & Bones have done!:cheer:

Not sure where to ask this, but figured this was a thread for Gerus, so I would ask.

Forgey said his full-service dog, Gerus, was trained to sit when detecting the "smell of death." The dog was also trained to recognize several scents, including a pseudo scent for a drowning victim, as well as to ignore certain scents, including ham bones, dumpsters, pizza and decomposing animals. http://www.cfnews13.com/article/new...gs-top-latest-testimony-against-Casey-Anthony

Baez is claiming that Caylee drowned, yet it was not mentioned that Gerus found pseudo scent. I wonder if the prosecution will bring this up? :waitasec:

Gerus, my hero!!! My avitar is THE Gerus, by the way!

Wow, what a testimony by his trainer......awesome!

I have great respect for Gerus and his trainer...hope Gerus lives out his life without pain and gets all the toy balls and praise in the world...he is helping to convict a child murderer and certainly gave many families peace reagarding missing loved ones.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back