Supreme Court Nominee #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This moved me to tears.

Link to tweet: Shannon Watts on Twitter

Shannon Watts‏. Verified account @shannonrwatts

Older woman crying in photo: “How are we going to find the strength to keep fighting? Are we going to be out here for another 30 years? I don’t have 30 years left.”

Younger woman taking her photo: “I’ll be here. I’ll keep fighting.”

H/t @newscatmathis who shot Kavanaugh hearing

Do1Vp1pUUAABPbd.jpg

This made me inhale so deeply as my chest puffed out in pride that I immediately and proudly exhaled a belch before I saluted my reflection in the mirror while mumbling "God bless America!"

It wasn't a boof, but there's I can only do so much at any given time.

tif.gif

My friend

I am happy to have provided with the ability to beam in national pride.

Our nation , globally had gone through rough times the past couple of years.

But thanx to our SC guy we can relieve ourselves (pun totally intended ) with national pride.

Ask BK - with practice you can get both ends activated at once.

I dare say cheers - but am scared to death what that means to him . He has to smell fresh and clean for the occasion -

Last edited:
Wanna move to Canada with me? Or perhaps Europa, it hasn't even been corrupted by rovers, much less humans (yet). ;)

A majority being ruled by the deceits of a minority fails everyone.

(((((((Sister Geevee)))))))

It's a tempting dream of escape, but no. Our generation contributed mightily to this slow mo debacle, and IMO, it's our responsibility to try to mitigate the damage, even if it might be too late to reverse it altogether.

Last edited:
Facebook live stream of Senate debate

Senators Debate Ahead Of Final Vote To Confirm Kavanaugh

FINAL KAVANAUGH VOTE: The Senate is debating just ahead of a final vote to confirm Brett Kavanaugh, which could lock in a conservative Supreme Court majority for a generation. Kavanaugh was nominated by a president who lost the popular vote, and is expected to be confirmed by a majority of senators who represent about 43 percent of the country.

Please list the "checks & balances, audits & investigations" you claim exist/are conducted to assess the " suitability " of SC nominees.

And, you are entitled to think the sexual assault allegations are the only issue being discussed or worthy of discussion, but I don't, on either count.

What I'm far more interested in at the moment, because it is relevant now and will continue to be for a long time (for good or for ill) is whether or not K committed perjury. Not whether he lied- he clearly did, repeatedly, but whether or not he committed perjury during his nomination hearings.

Having access to the 97% of his records withheld by the WH & Senate republicans is necessary to determine the full extent of his evasions, half-truths, and lies by omission, as well as the key question whether or not he committed actionable perjury.

Appointment and confirmation to the Supreme Court of the United States - Wikipedia

What Christine Blasey Ford’s witness has to say after being left out of the FBI probe
I have not yet seen this letter from Keith Koehler, a California intellectual property rights lawyer and family friend of Dr and Mr Ford, linked in this thread. This and the other three supporting affadavits were instrumental in helping me come to the conclusion that Dr Ford was telling the truth in her testimony and that I would urge my Senators to vote no on the Kavanaugh confirmation, and to pick another highly qualified conservative justice for the Court.
Of course it is possible to level false charges of attempted rape, but her friends and husbands accounts of how the accusations came to light were written by people who know what is at stake for lying in a sworn affidavit. If I had a friend who was troubled and making up false rape accusations, the last thing I would do is swear under oath that she had told me about it years ago.
The number of unlikely factors that all have to come together to support the assertion that she is incorrect strains common sense to me. I don’t believe that a woman who has been so uninterested in politics that her sum contributions over the years has been less than $50 decided to start cultivating a plan at least 6 years ago—the first time we know she mentioned Judge Kavanaugh by name—to lay the ground work just in case he was nominated to the Supreme Court. Recall that Barack Obama was President at the time. She had to convince others to go along with this also.
I find it overwhelmingly more likely that Judge Kavanaugh, immersed in the culture of Georgetown Prep, did a horrible thing while drunk at 17, thinking it was all a big lark, and either does not remember or (I lean towards) is unwilling to own up to it because of the potential costs to his reputation, career, and family.
Without claiming special expertise, I am from the area in question and have taught and worked very closely for years with students from Georgetown Prep, Holton Arms, Landon, The Potomac School, and the like. My familiarity with these schools makes the description and stories believable to me, sad to say.
I did my very best to look at it with an open and rational mind, while maintaining empathy for the pain of all involved. I cannot but think that most people who are so sure that she is mistaken or lying are looking at this from a very partisan political perspective and would find some reason to dismiss any evidence presented.
Now if I can figure how to link from my phone! If I can’t, you may google Keith Koegler’s letter. Please read the full text of the letter, not excerpted snippets interspersed with editorializing from your chosen team, har har. His letter was the one I found most compelling, although Russell Ford’s was also a contributing factor.
I conclude with much sadness that a dishonest man who has not come to terms with his past behavior is being installed on the highest Court in our land.

Merrick Garland Recuses Himself From Handling Kavanaugh Ethics Complaints

The US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit announced Saturday that Chief Judge Merrick Garland recused himself from handling ethics complaints filed against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, according to Buzzfeed.

Buzzfeed reports that the statement does not give an explanation for why Garland decided to recuse himself nor does it contain an update for the status of the Kavanaugh ethics complaints.

Zoe Tillman‏. Verified account @ZoeTillman

NEW: The DC Circuit released a statement acknowledging the receipt of complaints about Kavanaugh and his Senate testimony. It doesn't say what's happening with them. *Notable*: It's from Judge Karen LeCraft Henderson - Chief Judge Merrick Garland "disqualified" per court rules
Link to tweet: Zoe Tillman on Twitter

Hi @kareylou! Thanks for posting the link. Will you add paragraphs breaks/spaces to the text you posted? It'll make it much easier to read. <3

Merrick Garland Recuses Himself From Handling Kavanaugh Ethics Complaints

The US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit announced Saturday that Chief Judge Merrick Garland recused himself from handling ethics complaints filed against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, according to Buzzfeed.

Buzzfeed reports that the statement does not give an explanation for why Garland decided to recuse himself nor does it contain an update for the status of the Kavanaugh ethics complaints.

Zoe Tillman‏. Verified account @ZoeTillman

NEW: The DC Circuit released a statement acknowledging the receipt of complaints about Kavanaugh and his Senate testimony. It doesn't say what's happening with them. *Notable*: It's from Judge Karen LeCraft Henderson - Chief Judge Merrick Garland "disqualified" per court rules
Link to tweet: Zoe Tillman on Twitter

It's irrelevant. Ethics complaints don't follow him to the SC.

Interesting factoids for today:

1. The republican senators elevating K to the SC represent about 44% of Americans. A minority.

2. Four of the 5 justices (including K) put on the court by republicans were nominated by presidents who had lost the popular vote.

The republican president who nominated K lost the popular vote, has had the confidence & trust of fewer than half of Americans, throughout his presidency, and is currently being investigated for colluding with Russia, obstruction of justice, colluding to commit campaign violations, fraudulent practices in his "nonprofit" Foundation, and violations of the emolements clause.....just for starters, list incomplete.

LOL!

Link to 1. please.

Number 2 is hardly indicative of anything other than a random stat, if true.

The first sentence in your last paragraph are your opinion, not a "factoid."

The Russian "investigation" has fallen apart, and for good reason. And the rest you'd should provide links to proof of.

What Christine Blasey Ford’s witness has to say after being left out of the FBI probe
I have not yet seen this letter from Keith Koehler, a California intellectual property rights lawyer and family friend of Dr and Mr Ford, linked in this thread. This and the other three supporting affadavits were instrumental in helping me come to the conclusion that Dr Ford was telling the truth in her testimony and that I would urge my Senators to vote no on the Kavanaugh confirmation, and to pick another highly qualified conservative justice for the Court.
Of course it is possible to level false charges of attempted rape, but her friends and husbands accounts of how the accusations came to light were written by people who know what is at stake for lying in a sworn affidavit. If I had a friend who was troubled and making up false rape accusations, the last thing I would do is swear under oath that she had told me about it years ago.
The number of unlikely factors that all have to come together to support the assertion that she is incorrect strains common sense to me. I don’t believe that a woman who has been so uninterested in politics that her sum contributions over the years has been less than $50 decided to start cultivating a plan at least 6 years ago—the first time we know she mentioned Judge Kavanaugh by name—to lay the ground work just in case he was nominated to the Supreme Court. Recall that Barack Obama was President at the time. She had to convince others to go along with this also.
I find it overwhelmingly more likely that Judge Kavanaugh, immersed in the culture of Georgetown Prep, did a horrible thing while drunk at 17, thinking it was all a big lark, and either does not remember or (I lean towards) is unwilling to own up to it because of the potential costs to his reputation, career, and family.
Without claiming special expertise, I am from the area in question and have taught and worked very closely for years with students from Georgetown Prep, Holton Arms, Landon, The Potomac School, and the like. My familiarity with these schools makes the description and stories believable to me, sad to say.
I did my very best to look at it with an open and rational mind, while maintaining empathy for the pain of all involved. I cannot but think that most people who are so sure that she is mistaken or lying are looking at this from a very partisan political perspective and would find some reason to dismiss any evidence presented.
Now if I can figure how to link from my phone! If I can’t, you may google Keith Koegler’s letter. Please read the full text of the letter, not excerpted snippets interspersed with editorializing from your chosen team, har har. His letter was the one I found most compelling, although Russell Ford’s was also a contributing factor.
I conclude with much sadness that a dishonest man who has not come to terms with his past behavior is being installed on the highest Court in our land.

See this is what I am content about it. They are educated - they are lawyers - they have resources - this is a severe violation to professionals . Found out years later one colleague I worked with had sex with a pt -- it is an intense response.

Core values are instilled in certain vocations. These folks are not gonna just let this go.

oh my god there is that pence idiot

Collins knows for a fact that the Federalist Society handpicked every single person on trump's short list of SC nominees. She knows that because it is an undisputed fact, and one openly boasted about.

2. Collins knows that one of the Federalist Society's STATED criteria for potential nominees to be put on that list is nominees' commitment to overturn Roe v Wade. This also is a known given, and one trump has confirmed & boasted about.

3. For Collins to state she doesn't believe K will vote to overturn Roe v Wade makes her either incredibly naive and gullible, OR, disengenous at best, a liar at worst.

It's one thing if Collins believes Roe v Wade should be overturned. If she believes that, she should say so, and not mistate where K stands.

If she doesn't believe Roe v Wade should be overturned, and if she believes K's commitment to nuking it is disqualifying, she should vote against K.

If she doesn't believe Roe v Wade should be overturned, but doesn't think his certain vote against it is disqualifying, this too she should say straightforwardly.

It's her intellectual dishonesty that I find most contemptible.

Again, where do you get these "facts"?

how come there are some names called out and no answer

Brett Kavanaugh Cannot Have It Both Ways
As the former dean of Yale Law School, I’m shocked by the judge’s partisan turn.
By ROBERT POST
October 06, 2018

Brett Kavanaugh and I differ on most fundamental questions of constitutional law. Nevertheless, as a former dean of the institution where he received his law degree, I have withheld comment on the merits of his appointment. I am proud of the rich diversity of views that Yale Law School has produced.

Over the past decade, Kavanaugh has been a casual acquaintance. He seemed a gentle, quiet, reserved man, always solicitous of the dignity of his position as a judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. It was therefore with something approaching unbelief that I heard his speech after Christine Blasey Ford’s testimony.

With calculation and skill, Kavanaugh stoked the fires of partisan rage and male entitlement. He had apparently concluded that the only way he could rally Republican support was by painting himself as the victim of a political hit job. He therefore offered a witches’ brew of vicious unfounded charges, alleging that Democratic members of the Senate Judicial Committee were pursuing a vendetta on behalf of the Clintons. If we expect judges to reach conclusions based solely on reliable evidence, Kavanaugh’s savage and bitter attack demonstrated exactly the opposite sensibility.

His performance is indelibly etched in the public mind. For as long as Kavanaugh sits on the court, he will remain a symbol of partisan anger, a haunting reminder that behind the smiling face of judicial benevolence lies the force of an urgent will to power. No one who felt the force of that anger could possibly believe that Kavanaugh might actually be a detached and impartial judge. Each and every Republican who votes for Kavanaugh, therefore, effectively announces that they care more about controlling the Supreme Court than they do about the legitimacy of the court itself. There will be hell to pay.

I was in the end prompted to write this essay because on Thursday Kavanaugh published a remarkable editorial in the Wall Street Journal in which he apologized for his rash words and attempted to reclaim for himself the “independence and impartiality” so necessary for judges. But judicial temperament is not like a mask that can be put on or taken off at will. Judicial temperament is more than skin-deep.

bbm

I am very familiar with Robert Post, as Post was my maiden name. No familial connection but he came to my attention a decade or so ago and we corresponded briefly to determine any connection. Since then, I've followed some of his writings and although I find we agree on many subjects, this is not one of them.

Last edited:
Vote happening now. Paused briefly for protester yelling “shame!” Live stream link in my quoted post

Facebook live stream of Senate debate

Senators Debate Ahead Of Final Vote To Confirm Kavanaugh

FINAL KAVANAUGH VOTE: The Senate is debating just ahead of a final vote to confirm Brett Kavanaugh, which could lock in a conservative Supreme Court majority for a generation. Kavanaugh was nominated by a president who lost the popular vote, and is expected to be confirmed by a majority of senators who represent about 43 percent of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks