Supreme Court Nominee

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by mickey2942, Sep 16, 2018.

?

Should a person be judged on something done over 40 years ago?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Depends

75 vote(s)
    49.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boodles

Boodles Well-Known Member

Does Judge get to define the terms of an FBI investigation? I understand his wanting confidentiality (so did Ford), but this sounds a bit arrogant and entitled, kinda like BK.

2. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

Feinstein rails against Kavanaugh's 'aggressive and belligerent' behavior

3. Mica

Mica Well-Known Member

If Gorsuch was up for this nomination at this time, I suspect his nomination would have been railroaded in some way.

Oh I’m listening to the evidence all right....there is none. None of Ford’s witnesses could corroborate her allegations.

tmhco, spiritkiss, BingoBongo and 3 others like this.
  4. bluedivergirl

bluedivergirl Well-Known Member

Kavanaugh is a devout Catholic. He believes, as many people do, that a drug that prevents a fertilized ovum from implanting is abortifacient.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2018
  5. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

So being questioned isn't something new to him. This might have been the toughest examination, but it certainly wasn't his first. I'm surprised he wasn't prepared to present himself in a better light. (I'm not talking about the allegations but his reaction to them yesterday.)

jmo

6. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

This really is the best way to go forward at this point. But it should happen promptly and without delay.

But will it make a difference? They say the FBI doesn’t conclude anything, so what happens when the FBI investigation doesn’t conclude anything?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  7. Mica

Mica Well-Known Member

I hope so.

neesaki and Laughing like this.
  8. Inthedetails

I admit I'm feeling cynical. I don't want to, but I am. In a week's time, there will be some other news story that everyone is looking at and this vote will be old news. And when the vote happens, it will be like, "Oh yeah. Didn't that already happen last week? Whatever."

Our collective attention span is....oh, look! Something shiny!

jmo

9. Boodles

Boodles Well-Known Member

I’ll just plop this down here, the underlined part done by me:

JUDICIAL STANDARDS
    Since President Dwight D. Eisenhower first requested the ABA’s participation in 1953, the committee has assessed judicial candidates on three metrics: professional competence, integrity and judicial temperament. In an in-depth backgrounder (PDF) on the committee’s policies, the three standards are explained:

When the committee evaluates “integrity,” it considers the nominee’s character and general reputation in the legal community, as well as the nominee’s industry and diligence.

“Professional competence” encompasses such qualities as intellectual capacity, judgment, writing and analytical abilities, knowledge of the law and breadth of professional experience.

In evaluating “judicial temperament,” the committee considers the nominee’s compassion, decisiveness, open-mindedness, courtesy, patience, freedom from bias and commitment to equal justice under the law.

Its ratings system under fire, ABA stresses importance of federal judicial candidate evaluations

10. Only4Justice

Only4Justice Well-Known Member

As someone who was sexually abused as a young girl, I believed her. IMO

11. Hraefn

Hraefn Verified Attorney

Correct. I believe he said he had gone through 6 inquiries, or this was his 6th. But he seemed to cite that history as tending to show the allegations were false because he's been found to have character and fitness for the legal profession over and over. Granted, this is the toughest of them all, but I thought it was a valid statement while still completely understanding why Dr. Ford came forward this time instead of any earlier.

mikkismom likes this.
  12. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

Judiciary committee statement reads: “The supplemental FBI background investigation would be limited to current credible allegations against the nominee and must be completed no later than one week from today.”

13. Hraefn

Hraefn Verified Attorney

Thank you for finding the actual standard and language, much appreciated!

14. Inthedetails

Using the list of underlined qualities as a checklist, I think he could get one check for "decisiveness," I'll give him that.

jmo

Doghairrules and EuTuCroquet? like this.
  15. Tricia

Tricia Owner Websleuths.com Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Thread is closed for a bit while I clean it up.
    As soon as I am doing cleaning this thread we'll open a new thread for the discussion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.