Susan G. Komen charity pulls grants

I worked as an insurance adjuster for years. I'm quite aware of how it works.

The audits showed much more than accidental or objectionable miscoding.

Blatant fraud.

Same code numerous times. Codes that aren't even related to the procedures received.

Corruption.

Did you or your employer report them for fraud? If the bill is paid by Medicaid they need a report to investigate. To save health care money the agency is on a search for fraud now and have made several big arrests lately, fraud in millions of $.

Planned Parenthood provide women's health services for things such as cervical cancer, uterine cancer, std's, breast cancer, birth control, HPV and so on. I know of a very poor person who had depended on them for her health care and still does.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about pro-life, that is NOT the point of my post, but I am so tired of PP being associated with only that! They do many wonderful things.

http://plannedparenthoodsavedme.tumblr.com/

That was an example. Those of us who know women who have benefited from this group understand what they do.

There are thousands if not millions of women who benefit from their services which has nothing to do with pregnancy.

If Planned Parenthood kills ONE baby, they have NO respect from me!!

Why the heck wouldn't people donate to Komen?
On the wishful thinking that PP is corrupt?

Or on the belief that Komen has become politicized and that that is not proper?

Maybe both?

That's not simple math. That's political capital that you're mathing there. IMO.

I will not donate to SGK ever again as long as they support PP and there are many other less vocal people that will Not donate either. It is our right as Americans to donate to whom we choose for the reasons we believe .

I wonder how much damage this has done to SGK an how many women will not be getting cancer screens because the liberal media caused a stink over a $700,000 grant being pulled from a corrupt agency.

Way to go!!!

I agree, I believe this was just "bad press" for SBK for some reason (political IMHO). I loved the quote from Bloomberg: Politics should play not role in healthcare.

Tell that to POTUS

Did you or your employer report them for fraud? If the bill is paid by Medicaid they need a report to investigate. To save health care money the agency is on a search for fraud now and have made several big arrests lately, fraud in millions of $.

I worked for an insurance company and had nothing to do with Medicaid or PP.

We had a fraud department.

PP has been caught several times. It's all public record.

Movie making the rounds of the festivals right now:

'Pink Ribbons, Inc.': New Movie Explores the Controversy Behind Breast Cancer Charity

"Many people were shocked and surprised this week by Susan G. Komen for the Cure's controversial decision to yank a grant to Planned Parenthood, a move that seemed to place priorities other than women's health ahead of the Komen foundation's mission of fighting breast cancer. But perhaps there would have been less shock if people had seen "Pink Ribbons, Inc.," a new Canadian documentary that explores the apparent corporate capture of breast cancer activism, observing that such philanthropic organizations -- and Komen in particular -- seem to place a higher priority on giving positive publicity to their corporate partners than on actually finding a cause and a cure for breast cancer."

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/02/03/pink-ribbons-breast-cancer-movie_n_1252824.html

Our fight for women's health does not end here. There are still many who will continue to put partisan politics ahead of women's health, and we need to make sure that the grassroots support and energy that successfully came together to right this wrong stands ready to be there for women the next time we're needed.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/national/a...-Planned-Parenthood-2990857.php#ixzz1lPz7uAxE

I agree with this, the fight for women's health is not over. This was just a skirmish. There are many politicians inserting themselves into a woman's right to choose at this moment.
I am heartened to see that there are so many willing to stand up and make themselves heard.
Keep up the good work!

BBM So true. War continues to be waged on women's health. While attacks on PP are routine and have thus far been unsuccessful and proven to be without merit, here's another scary ruling looming on the horizon that all women should be aware of:

Why Komen Is Small Potatoes:

The legal attack on the Affordable Care Act (ACA) puts at risk provisions that will right grievous -- even deadly -- wrongs in how women are treated in our health care system.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peggy-drexler/why-komen-is-small-potato_b_1257728.html

We all better be paying really close attention....

Komen official quits over Planned Parenthood dispute

Karen Handel, the charity's vice president for public policy, told Komen officials that she supported the move to cut off funding for Planned Parenthood. She said the discussion started before she arrived at the organization and was approved at the highest levels of the charity.

Handel had supported a decision that Komen announced last week to exclude Planned Parenthood, which provides a range of women's health care services including abortions, from future grants for breast-cancer screenings because it was under government investigation. The charity cited a probe launched by a Florida congressman at the urging of anti-abortion groups.

Fraud is fraud no matter where it occurs. I'd love to see an investigation of PP usage of funds since they receive so much money from our Federal Gov't (OUR tax $$$).

While I support what PP does for women who need their services, the issue of fraud burns my butt! Fraud everywhere (Medicaid, Medicare, PP, PACs, etc.) - human nature?

Karen Handel, Susan G. Komen Executive, Quits Over Planned Parenthood Dispute

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...its-susan-g-komen_n_1259835.html?ref=politics

It's a start. I imagine they let her "quit" in order to save face. ;) The rest of the board and higher ups need to be scrutinized as well. Who thought it would be a good idea to hire her in the first place???? She's not the only fox in the hen house for sure.....

Karen Handel, Susan G. Komen Executive, Quits Over Planned Parenthood Dispute

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...its-susan-g-komen_n_1259835.html?ref=politics

It's a start. I imagine they let her "quit" in order to save face. ;) The rest of the board and higher ups need to be scrutinized as well. Who thought it would be a good idea to hire her in the first place???? She's not the only fox in the hen house for sure.....

BINGO

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...quits-after-feud-with-planned-parenthood.html

I had money on that. Yay. Then again, it was a rather sure bet. :innocent:

A book and speaking tour; guest appearances on Fox "news" ; a Congressional seat; a reality show; Dancin With The Stars... This could be worth many millions of dollars for her if she plays it right.

I am sorry but I don't know anyone except the radiology offices that provide mammograms! PP does the women's exams, ie breast exams, pap smears etc then refers them to places where they can get mammograms as in my friends case because they felt something suspicious. Probably the same place I go to. Don't tell me PP does not use money from SK to pay for them because I have a friend whose mammogram was paid for from a grant given to PP by SK.

The "gotcha" moment in the video is a big FAIL. But good for the PP representatives for remaining professional and calm in the face of a anti-abortion activist clearly trying to create drama where there was none. The booth attendants may have been uncertain of the scope of services provided (after all, we have no way of knowing what their role for the organization was, they may have been volunteers), but PP does provide referrals for mammograms and provides examinations and education regarding breast health. Not sure what this video is supposed to be proving other than that the anti-abortion activist was combative and was hoping to cause a scene, and that the women working the booth at this event were doing their best to provide her with information before it became clear that what she really was looking for was a confrontation. I didn't actually know there were people out there that actually thought that PP physically had mammography machines on site and employed mammography techs. If PP had that kind of funding, they wouldn't need to be relying on grants in order to provide the services that they do provide on site. It sounds like this may have been the activists first time attempting an ambush. Not very effective.:waitasec:

My mammography Dr.'s office has model breasts you can conduct "self exams" on and try to find lumps in. Maybe PP has some of those. ;) Breast Health Education, Screening and Referrals, as provided by Planned Parenthood - for the Cure, with Komen's funding assistance. :thumb:

The "gotcha" moment in the video is a big FAIL. But good for the PP representatives for remaining professional and calm in the face of a anti-abortion activist clearly trying to create drama where there was none. The booth attendants may have been uncertain of the scope of services provided (after all, we have no way of knowing what their role for the organization was, they may have been volunteers), but PP does provide referrals for mammograms and provides examinations and education regarding breast health. Not sure what this video is supposed to be proving other than that the anti-abortion activist was combative and was hoping to cause a scene, and that the women working the booth at this event were doing their best to provide her with information before it became clear that what she really was looking for was a confrontation. I didn't actually know there were people out there that actually thought that PP physically had mammography machines on site and employed mammography techs. If PP had that kind of funding, they wouldn't need to be relying on grants in order to provide the services that they do provide on site. It sounds like this may have been the activists first time attempting an ambush. Not very effective.:waitasec:

See that's the thing. Always look for the source of any article and who is writing it and any references they use. That is so important to me. Also what does this video prove? Apparently someone thinks it proves SOMETHING :what: Help me here does it prove anything except the person filming had an agenda???

My Doctor's office does not do Mammograms. I have to go to a radiology doctor to get mine. Animal what you said above that I underlined is the Honest to Goodness truth. Anybody with any commonsense understands.

It's like no matter what one writes that makes sense people refuse to even consider the info if their mind is made up. Then they become so narrow minded they think the above proves their right??????? BEAM ME UP SCOTTIE ! :ufo:

I guess it's wrong to expect people to research the facts from non biased sources before making up their minds.

There is so much irony for me in this story....

When we were teenagers, my BFF went to PP to terminate a pregnancy. She was so scared and alone and not able to tell her folks. My folks helped her and she never really got over it.

When she was 37, she passed away from breast cancer, leaving behind 5 and 2 year old sons.

I have donated generously to the Susan G. Komen foundation ever since, but I'm going to have to re-evaluate that now.

Women's health care is not one-dimensional and should never be reduced to one concern or another. Nor should it be judged or politicized by others.

MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back