Suspect #1: Dellen Millard *Charged* 1st Deg Murder 15 May 2013 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. It's highly likely, IMO, that the eyewitness statements were corroborated through a visual identification of DM after his arrest.

Yes.

I would like to get my hands on or view the actual affidavit spelling out the exact evidence to warrant the arrest on confinement/theft and the affidavit spelling out what evidence took it to the level of 1st deg. murder/capital murder.

Since TB's truck was recovered, I suspect DM is tied by the evidence directly to the eyewitness account of same.

since burning a body rids of so much evedence , i can only assume they found tims wedding ring .

Depending how badly it's burned (ie are there still bones? or is it reduced to ashes?), it can still be identified. If the body is burned, but the bones are still there, he could still be identified through dental records. Cause of death can still be found from the bones - this is not my field of study, so I don't know all the details, or whether they could still determine this from ashes as well.
(My reference is some books I've read by forensic anthropologist Kathy Reichs)

if 1 of their girlfriends know anything , i dont think you can make them testify against their boyfriend, ..

I'm pretty sure there was an article that said DM's girlfriend's testimony will be crucial to the case (I know the article was posted on one of these threads but don't know where I saw it)

They did not have time to have used these particular methods prior to releasing the information that TB was dead. Such testing takes time. JMO based on research... MOO

I have also heard that it takes a long time to do that sort of forensics. I believe LE said "we are convinced by the totality of the evidence..." when announcing that TB was dead, which to me sounds like there wasn't a formal identification of the remains. Just my opinion on their choice of wording.

I'm pretty sure there was an article that said DM's girlfriend's testimony will be crucial to the case (I know the article was posted on one of these threads but don't know where I saw it)

See:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9433258&postcount=205"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Canada - Timothy Bosma, 32, Hamilton Ontario, 6 May 2013 - #4 **ARREST**[/ame]

I know exactly who you are talking about..he does resemble him ALOT and I was mistaken also

Yes I had to zoom up close to see the difference! Until I saw the closeup I'd say it sure does look like "the DM of 2012". Looks tall too.

Yes I had to zoom up close to see the difference! Until I saw the closeup I'd say it sure does look like "the DM of 2012". Looks tall too.

Which pic are you referring to?

I have also heard that it takes a long time to do that sort of forensics. I believe LE said "we are convinced by the totality of the evidence..." when announcing that TB was dead, which to me sounds like there wasn't a formal identification of the remains. Just my opinion on their choice of wording.

I believe when the LE made that statement that TB was dead, they had not found his remains, at the time it made me think that maybe someone told them that he was dead, I could be mistaken...will see if I can find the LE pressers with the announcements

I believe when the LE made that statement that TB was dead, they had not found his remains, at the time it made me think that maybe someone told them that he was dead, I could be mistaken...will see if I can find the LE pressers with the announcements

I remember that presser clearly, they said they had found his remains, the remains had been burned, and made the "totality of the evidence" statement. They said they were "convinced" by the totality of the evidence that it was TB.

I remember that presser clearly, they said they had found his remains, the remains had been burned, and made the "totality of the evidence" statement. They said they were "convinced" by the totality of the evidence that it was TB.

IMO you have raised an extremely important point - an essential point, in fact. The phrase "totality of the evidence" is not just a catch phrase but it has clear and specific meaning. If you seek out its definition on the web you'll find that the phrase usually refers to aspects of scientific research, most usually in the chemical and biological fields. IE We fed 10 rats poison and the other 10 rats gummy bears. The first 10 rats promptly died. The other 10 rats did not. Without going into letter and verse, we are convinced, on the totality of the evidence that the first 10 rats died because they were poisoned. The totality of the evidence does not, however, confirm that gummy bears increase the anticipated life span of rats.

When "totality of the evidence" is used in the courts, it must present a most interesting challenge, imo. For instance, is the following statement logical? A man is missing. We have found an unidentifiable dead man. Therefore the dead man we have found is the one who was missing. Can this logical fallacy be corrected by rephrasing with "Therefore, the totality of the evidence confirms that the dead man we have found is the one who was missing."

Obviously, of course not. The premise is still inaccurate.

Only the specifics of the evidence can possibly confirm, firstly, that TB is dead and secondly, that the victim found is TB and not somebody else. Those are reasons why the forensics are essential to this case, imo.

When it is confirmed that the body found was that of TB with absolute forensic certainty, prosecutors will then face the considerable challenge of proving that a) TB was murdered and b) DM planned and executed TB's kidnap and murder.

IMO, MHO, MOO et al, etc and ad infinitum.

They did not have time to have used these particular methods prior to releasing the information that TB was dead. Such testing takes time. JMO based on research... MOO

Depending how badly it's burned (ie are there still bones? or is it reduced to ashes?), it can still be identified. If the body is burned, but the bones are still there, he could still be identified through dental records. Cause of death can still be found from the bones - this is not my field of study, so I don't know all the details, or whether they could still determine this from ashes as well.
(My reference is some books I've read by forensic anthropologist Kathy Reichs)

ID can be determined from dental x-rays within a day. I happen to know this from personal experience, but don't take my word for it.

(CNN) -- A charred body...can be relatively easy to identify, experts said, especially if authorities have an idea of whose it is.

"We do cases like this all the time," said Dr. Mark Bernstein, a Louisville, Kentucky, dentist who is a forensic dental consultant for the state's chief medical examiner.

"Dental identifications are so much quicker and so much less expensive than DNA."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/13/health/burned-body-id

A forensic anthropologist with the right X-rays can make an identification in a matter of minutes; a DNA test can take weeks or months.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/body-495836-dorner-investigators.html

Yes, that is what was said, but that doesn't mean a positive confirmation wasn't made through forensics. Is that what has been suggested? Seriously?

"We are convinced by the totality of the evidence that these are the remains of Tim Bosma," De Caire said. "The evidence indicates that the remains were burned."
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/14/police-update-tim-bosma-case

I'm sure someone has mentioned this before but the thing about this quote from the friend of DM's girlfriend that makes no sense at all, is first saying she never even knew he had money, then saying how he'd take her on skydiving trips and tropical vacations.

Last time I checked, you have to have at least a few bucks in the bank somewhere, to be spending that kind of money on fun and games. If I had a friend whose boyfriend was taking her on trips like this, I'd automatically assume he did have money. Maybe that's just me.

I have good reason to discount this entirely.

It's been mentioned, Shilohsmom. The rules limit which social media pages can be linked. Exceptions are made in some instances, but not this one. ;)

[ame=http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209802]Terms of Service & the Rules -- Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

ID by dental records can be done very quickly... it's not like LE would have to compare dozens of x-rays to the remains found...

For a witness to be truly believable there needs to be another witness to corroborate...

disagree. the FBI immediately believed jeff bauman's description of DT. the suspect was then located on video/in photos very quickly afterwards, and caught within days.

and conversely, police did not consider elizabeth smart's little sister mary katherine's ID of "emmanuel" to be a worthy lead... we all know now that the 9-yr was absolutely correct :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23