Suspect: RYAN ALEXANDER DUKE, in custody

Thanks for the kind welcome. I am pretty green at this and started with a bunch of stumbles. I will get the hang of it shortly. Intrigued so much with the Tara Grinstead case as Ocilla is about an hour from me. I was so frustrated when the info went cold. Doesn't sound they they have the right guy but I only know what is general knowledge. I will enjoy sleuthing with y'all!

Welcome! I'm new as well. I actually just recently finished listening to the first season of the Up and Vanished Podcast, featuring the disappearance of Tara Grinstead. I highly recommend it.

sgreeting_welcome_flowers_100-100.gif
to you too CCbyCM!!

Love your avatar! :)

I was curious as to where both Ryan Duke and Bo Dukes are located currently. I imagine both are incarcerated but what facilities are they individually kept at? Are they allowed mail, visitors (other than legal council), for interviews, etc

welcome-team.gif
DIN89 to WS & this thread.

As far as what facility these guys are in - I have no idea - not in my notes, but they are in Irwin County (at least in the court site).

Why isn't Tara's case now in the " Currently Awaiting Trial" section of WS?

That's the status of her case and has been for some time now.

EXCLUSIVE: Missing Georgia teacher and former beauty queen transfixes small town as they learn her secrets nearly 13 years after her disappearance

5 October 2018

"A small town in Georgia has been left with a mountain of questions after a beloved teacher and former beauty queen went missing.

Tara Grinstead, 30, an Irwin County High School history teacher, was last seen on October 22, 2005, when she left a cookout and said she was going straight home.

Two days later, she was reported missing when she didn't show up to teach history.

More than a decade after Grinstead vanished, NBC's Dateline has taken a deep dive into the case, interviewing those who were close to her, including her ex-boyfriend Marcus Harper and her best friend Maria Harber.

In a clip shared exclusively with DailyMail.com, Harber reveals to anchor Andrea Canning in chilling detail about something she found at the crime scene on the day Grinstead was reported missing: a latex glove. ...

..., two of her ex-students told friends at a party they had killed her and burned her body.

It wasn't until 2017 that those students, Ryan Alexander Duke and Bo Dukes, were arrested, despite having been identified as suspects in 2005.

In April 2017, a grand jury indicted Duke on six counts, including malice murder, felony murder, aggravated assault, burglary and concealing the death of another...."

Missing teacher who's a former beauty queen transfixes small town as they learn her secrets | Daily Mail Online

5b81c27a3301b.image.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tara Grinstead: The 5 biggest developments in the case since the arrests
The investigation and court proceedings have spanned more than a decade, with no trial date set for either suspect

August 28, 2018

"Irwin County High School teacher and beauty queen Tara Grinstead disappeared in October 2005.

This launched an 11-year investigation ending with the arrest of two suspects, each charged with different roles in Grinstead's disappearance.

Now awaiting trial, there have been several developments since charges and plea deals have been brought to light...."

Tara Grinstead: The 5 biggest developments in the case since the arrests
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh no, plea deals on the table to Dukes and Duke in her murder case this early?
I have this DVR'd and really want to watch it, but I really need to wait until I know I'm strong enough to make it through and not cry and miss parts.

I just watched " Dateline" for 19/4/2o18 and there was no mention of any plea deal in what my husband and I watched together.

There was what I consider to be a very arrogant and condescending attitude from MH. The weirdest thing he said was " I hope there can be peace for her mother and father now".
Um, her mother died just a few years after Tara went missing, and M.H. knows that very well.

I just watched " Dateline" for 19/4/2o18 and there was no mention of any plea deal in what my husband and I watched together.

There was what I consider to be a very arrogant and condescending attitude from MH. The weirdest thing he said was " I hope there can be peace for her mother and father now".
Um, her mother died just a few years after Tara went missing, and M.H. knows that very well.

BBM

In MOO, I took it to mean he was referring to Tara's Father and Stepmother.

I was curious as to where both Ryan Duke and Bo Dukes are located currently. I imagine both are incarcerated but what facilities are they individually kept at? Are they allowed mail, visitors (other than legal council), for interviews, etc

Ryan is incarcerated at the Irwin County Detention Center in Ocilla, Georgia. He was taken into custody on February 22, 2017, the day before the press conference. He can receive mail and usually responds promptly. A couple of months ago he received phone privileges. I'm fairly certain that the only visitors he's allowed to receive are his attorney and immediate family which consists of his mama and two younger brothers. Ryan's daddy passed away about a year ago.

Bo, however, is pretty much as free as me and you... Their alleged crimes took place in different counties and two different judicial circuits. The crimes that Ryan is charged with allegedly took place in Tara's home located in Irwin County (Tift Judicial Circuit). Bo's alleged crimes were committed at his uncle's pecan orchard located in Ben Hill County (Cordele Judicial Circuit) where Tara's body was left after her life had been taken. Only Bo is charged with the crimes involving the cover up and destruction of a body. A few months later a grand jury in Wilcox County handed down four more indictments against Bo where he denied having any knowledge of Tara's murder or of who was responsible during an interview with GBI SA Jason Shoudel . A former army buddy that he had shared details with regarding Tara's death came forward in late 2015 and told Shoudel what Bo had disclosed to him years ago. The interview took place in Wilcox County (also Cordele Judicial Circuit), that's where his mother resides, in June of 2016 I think. So now their alleged crimes cover three counties. I have not heard anything about a trial/s for Bo and it wouldn't surprise me if the Cordele Circuit DA waits until after Ryan's trial is a wrap. Bo has served less than one hour total in jail, he's been able to bond out both times.

Monday, Oct. 15th:
*Review Hearing (@ 9:30am ET) - GA - Tara Faye Grinstead (29) (Oct. 22, 2005) - *Ryan Alexander Duke (33/21 @ time of crime) arrested (2/23/17) & indicted (4/2017) of 2 counts of felony murder & 1 count of malice murder, aggravated assault, burglary & concealing death of another. Plead not guilty.
10/13/17 hearing update for Ryan Duke: will go to grand jury re media gag order on Oct. 24th; not expected to rule on this on Tuesday; Court ruled against the gag order 3/5/18; defense filed motions to reinstate. Should have been heard 3/16/18. Trial should be this year.
On Monday, (3/5/18) the Georgia Supreme Court judge threw out a gag order, issued last year by an Irwin County judge, that barred anybody connected to the Grinstead case from talking to the media about it. In response, Duke's lawyers filed three documents Wednesday with the Georgia Supreme Court. One asks the Georgia court to reconsider their unanimous ruling against the gag order. If they refuse, a second says, Duke's team plans to ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review the Grinstead ruling. They also want the Georgia court to leave the gag order in place until the nation's highest court acts on the case.
3/30/18: Ga. Supreme Court rejects appeal to reinstate Grinstead gag order. The Georgia Supreme Court has decided not to review Duke's appeal.
5/18/18 Defense asks for continuance, granted by Judge; trial will be sometime next summer.
7/11/18 Update: Review hearing set for 9/20 & 9/21, & will set trial date then.
8/10/18 Update: Defense files 24 motions: Motion to dismiss the indictment due to the unconstitutional composition of the Grand Jury.
Motion to restrict the use of the word murder during the trial.
That motion states Duke's public defender wants the court to restrict the district attorney and the state's witnesses from using the word "murder," prior to a jury verdict convicting the defendant of that offense.
Several motions in relation to how Duke is presented to the jury.
Those motions include Motion for an order prohibiting Ryan Alexander Duke from being exhibited in jail clothing, Motion to preclude public shackling, and Motion to prevent prejudicial security measures.
Motion filed is a demand for trial by jury.
Several other motions relate to the jury that will eventually be selected for Duke's trial: Motion to disqualify all potential jurors who knew or were acquainted with the victims or their families, Motion for individual voir dire of jurors and sequestration of jurors during voir dire, Motion to protect jury from exposure to victim's family or friends, Motion to limit conversations between jurors and bailiffs, Motion for an order allowing defendant to examine all jurors prior to exercising peremptory challenges, and Motion to exercise his peremptory strikes outside the presence of the panel members.
The 23rd motion filed is to extend the time for closing arguments in the trial.

8/29/18 Update: nothing… In August 2018, Duke hired Cobb County attorney Ashleigh Merchant & her husband John Merchant to represent him in court. Duke was formerly represented by public defenders.
9/20/18 Update: The hearing/s scheduled for today (9/20) and tomorrow (9/21) have been postponed. The D. A. requested to reschedule due to one of the State's witnesses being unavailable. As of right now, do not know when the hearing/s will be held. If I had to guess, there is a good possibility we're looking at October 15, 16, or 17. Per "insider", I think...
*Accomplice:
Bo Dukes (32/21 @ time of crime) arrested (3/3/17) charged with concealing a death, hindering the apprehension of a criminal & tampering with evidence. Released on $16,700 bond on 3/3/17 afternoon; waived right to his first hearing.

In June, 2017, a Ben Hill County grand jury indicted Dukes on 3 counts: concealing the death of another, 2 counts of making false statements, tampering with evidence & hindering apprehension of a criminal.
In Sept. 2017, a Wilcox County GJ indicted for 4 charges: 2 counts making false statements (to GBI), 1 count of hindering apprehension of a criminal & 1 count of concealing the death of another. Dukes has not been charged with murder. No updates for Dukes as of 10/14.

Somehow - I've got to shorten up the descriptions here.... maybe take out ALL his motions! :)

The reason I mentioned October 15, 16 and 17 as possibilities is because according to the court calendar for the Tift Judicial Circuit, Judge Reinhardt had those days open. I have not heard any updates regarding the hearing/s being rescheduled yet.

The reason I mentioned October 15, 16 and 17 as possibilities is because according to the court calendar for the Tift Judicial Circuit, Judge Reinhardt had those days open. I have not heard any updates regarding the hearing/s being rescheduled yet.

90x32px-LL-520162d9_oops.gif

67x67px-LL-50bdb960_DuhSmiley.gif

172x32px-LL-c533b1b7_embarassed.gif

Sorry - I SO misunderstood what you said.... My bad! :rolleyes:

Oh, no worries! I should've explained myself better.

I do have some news... Those hearings for Ryan have been rescheduled for November 19th and 20th.

Oh - great - thanks for the new dates!
And I'm getting "old" here - so don't know if I have said this:

104x71px-LL-ae429468_23k96hl.gif
to WS & this thread Stina!

Hearing dates set for one suspect in Tara Grinstead case

IRWIN CO., GA (WALB) - Hearing dates have been set for the man accused of killing Irwin County teacher Tara Grinstead.

While a trial date has not been set for Ryan Duke, hearing dates are set for November 19 and 20, 2018.

Irwin County Superior Court Judge Bill Reinhardt will hear arguments regarding several motions filed in Duke’s case.
[.....]
Dukes is awaiting trial in Ben Hill County.

He has been indicted on charges of concealing a death, tampering with evidence and hindering the apprehension or punishment of a criminal.

Now, I did not know Dukes was awaiting trial in a different county....

Hearing dates set for one suspect in Tara Grinstead case

IRWIN CO., GA (WALB) - Hearing dates have been set for the man accused of killing Irwin County teacher Tara Grinstead.

While a trial date has not been set for Ryan Duke, hearing dates are set for November 19 and 20, 2018.

Irwin County Superior Court Judge Bill Reinhardt will hear arguments regarding several motions filed in Duke’s case.
[.....]
Dukes is awaiting trial in Ben Hill County.

He has been indicted on charges of concealing a death, tampering with evidence and hindering the apprehension or punishment of a criminal.

Now, I did not know Dukes was awaiting trial in a different county....

Thanks for this update, Niner. Praying so hard for full measures of justice in this case.

'UP AND VANISHED' BASED ON POPULAR PAYNE LINDSEY PODCAST PREMIERES NOVEMBER 18 ON OXYGEN

"Oxygen Media, the network for high-quality crime programming, premieres “Up and Vanished,” based on the hit investigative podcast of the same name with over 240 million downloads that put a national spotlight on the small town mystery of Tara Grinstead. The special, premiering Sunday, November 18 at 7PM ET/PT, will focus on the mysterious disappearance of Tara, a Georgia beauty queen and school teacher who went missing in 2005, and where the police investigation is today in the aftermath of Payne’s groundbreaking podcast.

In this special, Payne Lindsey and his team will pick up where the podcast left off, which was with an investigation that lead to the arrest of two men who plead not guilty and are still awaiting trial. Combining chilling stories with cinematic storytelling techniques, this citizen sleuth will scrutinize alibis and double check reports, as him and his team stop at nothing until they find the truth, leading to new discoveries and insights on the case of Tara Grinstead...."

'Up and Vanished' Based on Popular Payne Lindsey Podcast Premieres November 18 on Oxygen

58af4354b300d.image.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebecca.ingram1214@gmail.
Back