Sweden - Gay Marriage Now Legal In.....

This makes me even happier since we are considering relocating to FL from Mass. I'm anticipating a huge culture shock (though we are looking at the space coast, which I understand is quite full of other transplants like we would be). It's heartening to see there are allies even in places where I would not expect them!

First: HOORAY FOR FLORIDA! As a proud Floridian and huge supporter of LGBT rights, I am so happy to see the positive evolution of my state. Many commentators have pointed out that Florida has turned into more of a "purple state" from a "red state", especially as the younger generation grows older, participates more in politics, and the older, backwards ideals slowly drain out into the Atlantic. :seeya:

Since you said you were looking into moving to my lovely state, I just wanted you to know that Florida is much more diverse than many people give it credit for. The cities, metropolitan, and many of the suburbs have a wealth of different cultures, ethnicities, and people of all walks of life. There are many, many large LGBT-positive areas, along with many LGBT individuals. We are a lot more open-minded and accepting than we get painted as; we have had some terrible governors (-cough- let's hope we can get rid of Scott this year -cough-) but we also have many politicians and people who are loud and proud to support the rights of everyone, including the LGBT community.

Also, I just want to throw out there: if you are thinking of moving here, I highly suggest moving to a city/suburban area on a coastline. The more you get into the interior of the state and the rural areas, the more you get into "the red zone". Where I was born and raised and still live, is in a small town in Pinellas County (I think we are an amazing place to live in), which is part of the Tampa Bay Area. We are on the west coast, so we face the Gulf; our beaches are beautiful - google "Honeymoon Island" and/or "Caladesi Island" for a look - they are state parks so they are protected and not as tourist-filled as the big public beaches to the south (I got married there on Honeymoon Island, the sands I grew up playing on, so I could be biased); we rarely are hit by hurricanes or tropical storms (no direct hit in like 100 years!), we have great weather, great people, great food, great schools, and it is cozy enough to make your own private piece of paradise while still being close to a lot of people and community. Check it out!

Sorry for the ramble; I am very passionate about my state and think in a few more years, we will only get better and better. My husband is from upstate NY, and he has always said he was amazed at how diverse and eclectic the people were down here - he didn't expect it. He also commented on how nice everyone was. We DO have lots of lizards and sub-tropical plant life, which seems to also be a surprise to a lot of people who haven't experienced that - it's something our Northern friends always comment on! Anyway, hope you find a lovely place down here that is perfect for you and family. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by us :happydance:

Oklahoma....wow! I think we're over 1/2 the states now. If not, then definitely over 1/2 the US population lives in a state where it's legal. I'm in AL and there are cases that are challenging the ban but not sure when they will be heard. Be nice when this is over and done with and not a a big deal, similar to how interracial marriages are no big deal now vs. 50+ yrs ago. Anyway, not sure if I'll wait on the AL ban to be overturned. We may just pick a state and go there. Plenty to choose from now for a nice wedding getaway! :p

^^^^^ Congratulations in advance! My partner and I had been together for 30+ years and I didn't care about marriage rights until we actually had a wedding. Then I saw the effect it had on our friend and family.

A wonderful experience awaits you.

Federal appeals court to hear arguments on Michigan's gay marriage ban

US court also to consider cases from Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee

CINCINNATI -
Challenges to same-sex marriage bans in four states will be argued this week in Cincinnati, the biggest day yet in a slew of upcoming cases going before federal appeals judges covering nearly half the United States.

A three-judge panel of the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati will consider six cases from Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee on Wednesday. Arguments on same-sex marriage bans are ahead over the next few weeks in circuit appeals courts based in Chicago and San Francisco. A New Orleans-based circuit is expected to soon schedule arguments.

The circuit courts are the last step before the U.S. Supreme Court, and their rulings will put pressure on the nation's highest court to weigh in. There's been an eight-month streak of federal rulings against bans.

Gay couples can marry in 19 states and the District of Columbia. A look at where cases pending in other states stand:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...uments-on-michigans-gay-marriage-ban/27316824

Don't forget W. Va. y'all! The first couple applied for license today! :great:

Don't forget W. Va. y'all! The first couple applied for license today! :great:

Were they first cousins?

(Sorry, couldn't resist. West Virginia is a beautiful state and good on 'em!)

Frankly, I never thought I'd see the day when gay marriage would be possible in the US, let alone any state within it. From Anita Bryant to this, in really a relatively short Time. We've really come a long way, baby.

Frankly, I never thought I'd see the day when gay marriage would be possible in the US, let alone any state within it. From Anita Bryant to this, in really a relatively short Time. We've really come a long way, baby.

I was a young man in Miami during the Anita Bryant debacle and I'm embarrassed to admit it left me soured on politics for some time. (With that and the resurrection of the death penalty I don't think I voted for another 10 years: I finally realized that if I boycotted the process over a couple of issues I would never vote again.)

Fortunately others are made of sterner stuff than I and carried on the fight without interruption. Many are no longer with us, but their work lives on.

A toast to squeaky wheels everywhere! :drink:

FWIW, nobody was even imagining gay marriage during the Anita Bryant campaign (1977). We were just trying to keep our jobs and stay out of prison! To live our lives without fearing that discovery would cost us everything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back