Sweden - Gay Marriage Now Legal In.....

FWIW, nobody was even imagining gay marriage during the Anita Bryant campaign (1977). We were just trying to keep our jobs and stay out of prison! To live our lives without fearing that discovery would cost us everything.

She was a hate-filled woman. One of her sons is quite different, I've read. Supports equality. She's still alive. I wonder what she thinks of:

Alaska
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Wisconsin
District of Columbia.

And pretty soon:

Arizona
Montana
South Carolina
West Virginia
Wyoming.

As a native Floridian, I grew up watching Bryant's OJ commercials. So it was particularly disappointing when she turned out to be such a bigot.

Atlanta Journal-Constitution today:

101614-toon-luckovich-ed.jpg

Very, VERY funny NoZme. And imagine what might happen if the Pope could bring himself to come out fully in support of civil marriage equality.

Maybe he'd also liberalize the bans on birth control, an act which would affect hundreds of millions of people!

I know that people are afraid of change. My husband and I have been--along with tens of thousands of other gay people--legally married for over 6 years now; yet I notice how few people refer to Mr. Gaveston as my "husband", not even when I do so myself. I'll say "I need an appointment for my husband on Tuesday," and the receptionist will reply, "Um, I can work your partner in at 2pm."

I don't think there's any malice in this; people just aren't used to the new nomenclature (and we don't need the government to dictate their speech). This will change over time, I'm sure. I can remember when people wouldn't refer to Mr. Gaveston as my "partner", but only as my "friend". So I just keep saying husband, regardless of what terms they use.

But the sky isn't falling. Nobody is going to be forced to be gay-married; no church is going to be forced to offer the marriage sacrament to same-sex couples. Yes, some parents my have to get us to Billy being married to John instead of June, but thousands of our folks have already done so.

AND NO COURT is going to mandate unisex restrooms. That's an old canard that is always trotted out to scare people when equal rights for women are at issue, and yet no jurisdiction has ever implemented such a system.

Imagine that, the sky is not falling!
Nova, on behalf of straight , but not narrow minded, people, I am sorry that your union, your vows & commitment are perceived as less than.

Honestly, noZme, at least here in California, I can't complain about treatment. We've had domestic partnerships for a long time. People just stumble over the words because gender is so engrained in our language. That will change with time, I'm sure.

31 states plus the District with Full Marriage Equality!

Where have you been? Others have stepped up in your absence, but I miss your roll call of advancing equality. It doesn't seem true until you've posted it here.

Thank you for saying that, dear friend. I will stay more committed to this thread, I promise! Just life being very busy. I miss WS!

Thank you for saying that, dear friend. I will stay more committed to this thread, I promise! Just life being very busy. I miss WS!

Miss you here too, friend. I'm waiting for Florida to be added to that list -- hopefully within the next year :blowkiss:

Hey, sweet daisy7 - I was just reading an article about when FL might come into the fold. Of course, I got all excited about SC when the Supreme Court refused to hear any of the cases, but now, SC has found a way to stretch away from the inevitable!

Miss you here too, friend. I'm waiting for Florida to be added to that list -- hopefully within the next year :blowkiss:

In my mind, Florida has long been been beyond all hope! But maybe the courts can wrench the "Prick State" into the 21st century...

I found this thread again! Using tapatalk on my phone I don't see all the forums I used to all the time, and didn't know where it had gone!

So glad for the recent news and all the states added! And as I'm officially moving to FL from Mass in about three weeks, I too am hoping to see FL join the list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on the move, Gardenlady! I hope you love your new home.

Thank you Nova! :) We are going to be in Satellite Beach/Indian Harbour Beach area - hoping that it won't be too much of a culture shock! Or at least that living beachside will help make it all better. :crazy:

Thank you Nova! :) We are going to be in Satellite Beach/Indian Harbour Beach area - hoping that it won't be too much of a culture shock! Or at least that living beachside will help make it all better. :crazy:

That is a great area I have visited frequently -- I'm sure you will love it! I live right outside Pensacola. Wish you had moved sooner, so you could vote in the gubernatorial election :)

That is a great area I have visited frequently -- I'm sure you will love it! I live right outside Pensacola. Wish you had moved sooner, so you could vote in the gubernatorial election :)

BBM Good Gawd, me too. (From outside Pensacola, too - GB IMproper)

BBM Good Gawd, me too. (From outside Pensacola, too - GB IMproper)

We are neighbors--so cool! ! I'm not in Proper, but I live in the Tiger Point area just East of Walmart in GB. Not the little new Walmart market in Proper, but the one next to Lowe's.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NPOL1566
Back