Sweden - Gay Marriage Now Legal In.....

Awww, you're Improper too! Shop at Walmart, bank at Pen Air, drink up at Starbucks. Maybe 10-15 minutes from my house to yours!

(BTW anybody who is reading this, I'm totally not insulting daisy - it's a local thing!)

I feel like I will never belong lol! I had to look up Pensacola on the map :help:

I was also wishing id be there in time for the elections! Maybe I can carry some gay marriage vibes down with me though??! My head will explode if it doesn't happen. I mean, how can Oklahoma and Alabama have gay marriage but not Florida?! I mean, I've been to Miami and The keys! :crazy:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoops, not Alabama - could have sworn that was one of the States I read about! Ok, substitute Arizona? North Carolina?! Florida surely cannot be far behind!

And I meant to mention, my
16 year old daughter (who identifies as bi) brought this up to me today after she and my son had a GSA meeting at their school - that it's weird that they will be going to a state where there is no marriage equality. In a way it's wonderful - for much of the conscious, thinking part of their lives all they have known is marriage equality. So even though we move to a state without it, it gives me hope that we have a generation coming up that views marriage equality as the norm!

...I had to look up Pensacola on the map....

Florida is actually a huge state. I lived there for my first 23 years and never got to Pensacola.

And I had to look up Satellite Beach on a map. You should have lovely ocean breezes that cut down on the humidity.

But be warned: when they tell you to EVACUATE before a hurricane, grab the loved ones (including pets) and go! The bigger storms can easily push the ocean across those barrier islands.

...I had to look up Pensacola on the map....

Florida is actually a huge state. I lived there for my first 23 years and never got to Pensacola. (Helpful analogy: Miami (near where I grew up) to Pensacola is TWICE as far as Los Angeles to San Francisco.)

And I had to look up Satellite Beach on a map. You should have lovely ocean breezes that cut down on the humidity.

But be warned: when they tell you to EVACUATE before a hurricane, grab the loved ones (including pets) and go! The bigger storms can easily push the ocean across those barrier islands.

I feel like I will never belong lol! I had to look up Pensacola on the map :help:

I can't tell you how many people have been disappointed over the years that they can't stay at our house while at Disney (6.5 hours).

Florida is being dragged kicking and screaming into the real world, as is the rest of the country. One day, it won't matter who you love.

Hey, sweet daisy7 - I was just reading an article about when FL might come into the fold. Of course, I got all excited about SC when the Supreme Court refused to hear any of the cases, but now, SC has found a way to stretch away from the inevitable!

In fairness, I think SC should try to end slavery before it moves on to marriage equality.

Just for Gardenlady, a piece of Florida trivia with which she can dazzle her new neighbors:

Ever wonder why the capital of Florida is in the middle of nowhere, less than half-an-hour from the Georgia border?

Well, when Florida became a U.S. territory in 1821, the only two cities of any size were St. Augustine and Pensacola. (Almost everything south of that was Everglades and in the hands of the Seminoles.)

So they chose a place roughly midway between the two cities and founded a town to be the capital. (For a few years, the legislature alternated between Pensacola and St. Augustine.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/25/same-sex-marriage-six-states_n_6046892.html

U.S. To Recognize Same-Sex Marriage In 6 New States
AP
Posted: 10/25/2014 1:01 pm EDT Updated: 10/25/2014 1:59 pm EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) — The federal government is recognizing gay marriage in six more states and extending federal benefits to those couples, Attorney General Eric Holder announced Saturday.

Gay marriage recently became legal in Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, North Carolina, West Virginia and Wyoming.

More...

Just for Gardenlady, a piece of Florida trivia with which she can dazzle her new neighbors:

Ever wonder why the capital of Florida is in the middle of nowhere, less than half-an-hour from the Georgia border?

Well, when Florida became a U.S. territory in 1821, the only two cities of any size were St. Augustine and Pensacola. (Almost everything south of that was Everglades and in the hands of the Seminoles.)

So they chose a place roughly midway between the two cities and founded a town to be the capital. (For a few years, the legislature alternated between Pensacola and St. Augustine.)

So interesting thank you Nova!

I am going to have to brush up on my Florida history. I have always wanted to learn more about at Augustine and the Spanish presence there, I guess it is time to do that!!

It's funny you mentioned the hurricanes and evacuating - of my four kids, my ten year old is the only one not really wanting to move, and part of it is that he is afraid of hurricanes. So after reassuring him that unlike tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes usually give you time to evacuate and be safe, etc, we went searching for information together about hurricanes and the satellite beach area. To our pleasant surprise we learned that the area does not get hit often! Which made both of us happy! :) But of course we will always pay attention anyway. If nothing else I remember being a 5 year old in our Blizzard of 78 (and more recently the Halloween blizzard in 2011) and the destruction, damage, power outages, etc. I like my comforts, so I get out of dodge ASAP if anything remotely dangerous approaches! :D

Gardenlady, my daughter, son-in-law and 3 grandkids live in Chelmsford, so we follow your weather pretty closely.

Tell your 10-year-old that most hurricanes are no worse than a nor'easter. And unlike an ice storm, a hurricane moves on relatively quickly.

From what I have read it's thought the court ruled that way specifically to force the SC's hand at making a final ruling on the issue. I'm sure there is much more involved in their decision. Personally I think it's stupid and a financial waste that this nation has to be forced by the courts into doing the right thing.

From what I have read it's thought the court ruled that way specifically to force the SC's hand at making a final ruling on the issue. I'm sure there is much more involved in their decision. Personally I think it's stupid and a financial waste that this nation has to be forced by the courts into doing the right thing.

I'm shocked that you think federal judges would violate their oaths to force a political solution from SCOTUS! Just shocked, I tell ya!

(Just kidding. After Bush v. Gore, nothing would shock me.)

Full gay marriage was made legal in Scotland yesterday previously it was known as a civil partnership. It will become more universal around the world in the years ahead but will take time though.

I think it is terrible that a gay couple can be together their whole life yet when a partner is sick or dies the surviving partner has virtually no rights because they are not legally classed as married in some states and countries. This is wrong and a terrible injustice that I hope can be addressed as soon as possible.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back