Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd, dead at 60

BillyGoatGruff

Reaction score
I knew people who knew Syd, and he had been suffering from schizophrenia since he was a teen. When Floyd really started to catch on, the stress proved too much for him, and he had at least one full-fledged psychotic break while touring. Although even after he'd been replaced, he would still show up at gigs now and again, oblivious to the fact he'd been fired from the band. At least the others made sure he got his royalties all these years.

http://www.comcast.net/music/index.jsp?cat=MUSIC&fn=/2006/07/11/431696.html&cvqh=itn_pinkfloyd

Well, we can thank him for some of the best Rock N Roll of our time. Still love to listen to Pink Floyd...in fact I had them on this morning for my drive to work. I think "Comfortably Numb" was an anthem and a right of passage song for just about every American teen in my time. Thanks for the memories. Rest in Peace, Syd...

ember said:
Well, we can thank him for some of the best Rock N Roll of our time. Still love to listen to Pink Floyd...in fact I had them on this morning for my drive to work. I think "Comfortably Numb" was an anthem and a right of passage song for just about every American teen in my time. Thanks for the memories. Rest in Peace, Syd...
Syd was gone long before The Wall, although it's based on him/his disease.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond :(

BillyGoatGruff said:
Duhhh :doh: on me! Thanks for that info...I guess I thought he was still w/them :waitasec: then... but then again, the time of my life when I really listened to them is just a little foggy...;)

ember said:
Well, we can thank him for some of the best Rock N Roll of our time. Still love to listen to Pink Floyd...in fact I had them on this morning for my drive to work. I think "Comfortably Numb" was an anthem and a right of passage song for just about every American ten in my time. Thanks for the memories. Rest in Peace, Syd...

That's my fave PF song also.

kato said:
That's my fave PF song also.
"Comfortably Numb" is also my favorite Floyd song.

I was saddened to read about Syd's passing. What an extremely talented soul. :(
Even though he left the band in 1968, so much of their later work was based on work done when he was still with them. They have always acknowledged that.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond....For Syd.

BillyGoatGruff said:
I somewhat disagree...it may be one aspect of a portion of this wonderful album. The main character, Pink, does indeed go crazy and shave his eyebrows, which Syd did. In fact, during their recording of Shine on You Crazy Diamond (a song about him), he randomly showed up overweight and with his eyebrows shaved. At first the band didn't even recognize him.

Per From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wall

Roger Waters was inspired to create the album during a concert on 6 July, 1977 on the final night of the tour to promote Animals, dubbed Pink Floyd — In the Flesh. In Montreal, a fan's disruptive behaviour resulted in Waters spitting in the fan's face. Waters was immediately disgusted with himself, and his alienation from his fans urged him to build a wall between himself and the audience, an idea which later evolved into the album.

The fact that Waters own father was killed in the war also served as a large inspiration to the overall storyline.

Paladin, you just might be a bit more obsessive over PF than my husband. ;)

It's nice to see people that still appreciate the band and ALL it's members.

My brothers LOVE Pink Floyd. We grew up listening to this music from all of my parents Many poker games at night on the weekends. :D And their little "get togethers". I like them as well. I remember watching The Wall and being like " What the heck is going on".:confused:

curious1 said:
Paladin, you just might be a bit more obsessive over PF than my husband. ;)

It's nice to see people that still appreciate the band and ALL it's members.
I can't stress to you how important Pink Floyd is to me...when Roger Waters and David Gilmour and the band (minus Syd) reunited for last summer's Live Aid concert and played...oh my God...I had tears in my eyes.

Here you had these rockers who were in their 60's and playing songs like Comfortably Numb to perfection. I was praying they would do a reunion tour.

hated to hear this also...what a band; they rocked...one of my all time favorite bands, for sure.....don't know how many times i played "Time" over & over & over....

ETA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_(Pink_Floyd_song)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back