Teacher writes loser on 6 grader's paper

What gets me is that according to the new link about him being suspended, friends say how he would never intentionally put down a student.
So are they saying he did not write this on the girls paper?
How can they say writing loser and underlining it is not a put down?

Being 12 is hard enough without having your teacher put the stamp of loser on you, I can't imagine how much damage he has done!

VB

What gets me is that according to the new link about him being suspended, friends say how he would never intentionally put down a student.
So are they saying he did not write this on the girls paper?
How can they say writing loser and underlining it is not a put down?

Being 12 is hard enough without having your teacher put the stamp of loser on you, I can't imagine how much damage he has done!

VB

Maybe they meant that he didn't realize how hurtful it would be? For example, I know a teacher who says "That's so gay" all the time. I find that offensive and rude, and I know many students who do, as well. She's just trying to be funny, and the kids really love her. She's a great teacher. Maybe this guy calls people "loser" jokingly? I don't know. I guess I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't want to defend him though, and I think my comments have seemed to lean that way.

I wanted to make sure that the teacher was using the slang term, which in itself is derogatory. That seems to be the case. Years ago I used the term in a more traditional sense, as in, "Please don't be a pencil-loser." I got in trouble because of that and got called on the carpet for it.

Can't use slang to try and "relate." My son has been bullied and it is wrong for students to denigrate other students by using slang words. The teacher needs to set an example, not to try and be one of the group.

Can't use slang to try and "relate." My son has been bullied and it is wrong for students to denigrate other students by using slang words. The teacher needs to set an example, not to try and be one of the group.

I agree with this 100%. I think a lot of teachers want to be one of the group to be considered a friend to the student. Students don't need for teachers to be their friends; they need teachers and mentors. A teacher can be friendly without being a friend to a student. Teachers who consider themselves friends to students will get taken advantage of in some way, or they will do something inappropriate, like this teacher did.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back