Teen calls 911 about a gigantic spider!

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by Linda7NJ, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ New Member

A teen from Forest Grove, Oregon says she's not normally afraid of spiders, but the behemoth that showed up in her home was big enough to warrant a 911 call.
    http://wtxf.m0bl.net/r/1mqeh2

2. Loading...

3. inthedark14

inthedark14 Active Member

On a trip to Disney one year, my mother and sister and I left three days early after a HUGE spider was in our room. My sister, the brave one, covered it with a trash can. It's legs were sticking out. We couldn't possibly sleep there. We headed home.

It's quite funny now, but at the time it was very traumatic. :giggle: My sister still thinks we are wimps. She is right. :blush:

Note to anyone trying to ward off huge spiders in Florida, spraying hairspray at them does not help.

4. Donamena

Donamena Former Member

Banana spiders hanging in webs in bayou or, unfortunately, your back yard. HUGE & weird looking..ugh. Although I did play with tarantulas on the porch as a child. Screaming in Spanish, Miskito Indian, French, & then the spanking!!! Trauma..can't look at a spider.

5. Gardenlady

Gardenlady Active Member

Oh god, love it:
    Feel bad for the teen. I've come across big spiders (bigger than 2" diameter) when alone, and wondered briefly if I could call animal control, or something! :giggle:

6. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ New Member

My first trip to Florida I was 18 years old. I had bought a bag of potato chips, ate half, and left the bag rolled up on the countertop of my hotel room. When I returned to my room later that night the bag was unrolled and I heard very loud echoing crunching sounds. I leaned down and peeked in the bag. Inside was the biggest most hideous creature I've ever seen. It was like a gigantic cockroach. I swear it gave me the stink eye followed by "the finger" and went back to eating. I called downstairs freaked out and I must not have made much sense.

Two minutes later .... I have two Spanish speaking gents on my room holding a net, a broom, a long stick and a garbage can. They looked as scared as I was. One kept saying "animal"???
    I don't speak Spanish so through charades and pointing they slowly enter the little kitchen holding all their gear.... And start belly laughing.... The roach ran, they smashed it and cleaned it up... All the while laughing...

They seemed shocked I didn't still want the chips... They took the chips ... Eating and laughing,..

7. DairyGirl

DairyGirl New Member

And now for the rest of the story.
    The teen who called 911 has muscular dystrophy so killing the spider would have been about impossible. And, she didn't call 911, she called the non-emergency dispatch line and they sent the officer over. And, the family had the spider tested and the results showed that it was a poisonous brown recluse.
    It just goes to show how the media can make a big deal out of nothing. Anything to make a non story interesting.
    http://www.kptv.com/story/23283764/...-with-spider-grateful-for-officers-assistance

8. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

I couldn't find the story on the link but the clip of the mom doing her 5th year of happy dancing when the back to school bus rolled away was funny. I'm glad the girl called cops to get rid of the poisonous spider. Hope the family makes sure there aren't more in the home.

9. HMSHood

HMSHood Admiral-Class Battlecruiser

10. sweetheart29

sweetheart29 Member

I have threw rocks at spiders before. I have stood in the bathroom and cried because there was a spider inbetween me and the door. Usually I just scream for my husband to help and he will come and kill them for me. Only thing scarier then a spider is a snake.