Teen Can't Shake Hiccups After 3 Weeks

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Beyond Belief, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief New Member

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- For more than three weeks, despite medical tests and home remedies, a teenager has been hiccuping. A lot.

In fact, Jennifer Mee is hiccuping close to 50 times a minute, stopping only when she's sleeping.

The 15-year-old has had blood tests, a CT scan and an MRI since the fits started Jan. 23. Drugs haven't worked. Neither has holding her breath, putting sugar under her tongue, sipping pickle juice, breathing into a paper bag and drinking from the wrong side of a glass.

And, yes, people have tried to scare them out of her
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/ENDLESS_HICCUPS?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

2. Loading...

3. shopper

shopper New Member

I saw her on the "Today" show the other day. I'd be suicidal if I had the hiccups for 3 weeks; I get pizzed if I have them for a few minutes.

OTOH, I'd have to take a sedative if I was her mother. It was getting on my nerves just for the few minutes she was on t.v.

4. southcitymom

southcitymom New Member

My Dad had them for 3 weeks straight once and then they just went away one night.

5. tybee204

tybee204 Administrator

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/151683/florida_teen_hiccups_for_three_weeks.html
    Florida Teen Hiccups for Three Weeks
    No Cure in Sight
    By Rain Patchett

February 15, 2007
    Contact me Click to rate content Currently 4.30/5 1 2 3 4 5 4.3 out of 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Adjust font: She was in first-period class when the hiccups began. It was January 23rd. After about 15 minutes of these nonstop spasms, Jennifer Mee, a ninth-grader at Northeast High School, sought help at the campus medical clinic. She remained there for five hours while the staff worked with her. Still, her hiccups persisted.

She has tried:

• holding her breath,
    • drinking water from the far side of the glass,
    • putting sugar under her tongue,
    • sipping pickle juice, and
    • breathing into a paper bag

along with countless other home remedies. Nothing has helped. Even well-meaning strangers have approached Jennifer at Wal-Mart and attempted to scare the hiccups away. Still, she hiccups.

Jennifer hiccups at a rate of approximately 50 times a minute.

Charles Osborne of Iowa has the dubious distinction of being on record as having the longest case of hiccups on record. His diaphragm spasms lasted 69 years and five months. Osborne's hiccups occurred every 11/2 seconds.

Charles Orborne was my son in laws grandfather. He had the hiccups untill his death. He once appeared on Johney Carson just for his hiccups.

6. JBean

JBean Retired WS Administrator

tybee have you posted this before? I had total deja vu when I saw that you were posting on this thread.

7. southcitymom

southcitymom New Member

8. dingo

dingo Former Member

Im so pleased for her....hiccups are so annoying ......when I start hiccupping I know not to have anymore drinkies :blushing:

9. narlacat

narlacat Former Member

Nothing a dash of raspberry can't fix Dingo lol

That was a really strange story, I've never known anyone to have the hiccups that long- South how annoying for your Dad! 3 weeks is a long time, I'd be suicidal out along with Shopper, that would drive me insane.

10. southcitymom

southcitymom New Member

Narlacat,

My Dad says it sounds dramatic now, but he really wanted to die! Just like this girl - they went away when he slept only to return in the morning. And his stomache hurt so bad they had to give him painkillers. Crazy!