Teen mom shoots intruder dead 1 week after husband dies of cancer

So glad she had the fortitude to take this out. I wish she'd gotten the other one too. Sorry if that's wrong, but that's how I feel.

I read about this on CNN. It did not include half the info. What a very scary situation. She had been stalked by this creep, her dogs killed and he had bothered her late at night after she was newly widowed.

Can you imagine sitting there, young and alone with a tiny baby and two creeps are pounding on both doors? What were they doing there? Why did the one have a knife? Why did he brazenly kick open the door? If she hadn't shot the one, can you imagine what would have happened to her and the baby? Clearly, they were not there to rob her. They were there for much, much worse. I want to know what that other monster has to say about why they were there. Again, I wish she'd been able to get them both.

In my mind, every state should interpret the law to be that if someone breaks into your house and you are there, you can kill them. Goodness knows what they will do once they have you alone. Don't want to get killed? Don't break into someone's house.

:goodpost: I was just getting ready to say the same!:gthanks:

21 minutes on the 911 call? Where was LE? Why would it take that long for them to get there? Thank God she was armed for her sake and that of her baby. 21 minutes of terror and no one to help. Geez.

Exactly. I wonder about it.

This is the reason it took so long. I'll never complain about my small town police force again. Way to go Sarah. I hope for better things in the future for you and your son.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-intruder-week-babys-father-died-cancer.html

(snip)
He said there are three deputies to cover the county’s 12,000 square miles, meaning a response could hardly be immediate.
Mr Kell added: ‘When (our dispatcher) got the call, we need to get more information, what’s the reason for the guy outside.’

Since Ms McKinley was calling from a cell phone, her exact location was hard to pinpoint. But, he added, ‘the deputy was en route within seven minutes.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-babys-father-died-cancer.html#ixzz1iYXuXtcn

If she would not of had those weapons and used one of them, she and her son would have wound up as another crime statistic. She most likely kidnapped, tortured, and murdered and who knows what they would have done to the baby. And they knew that she had just buried her husband.

It is hard to get one's mind around the depravity in today's society.

They spent 20 minutes breaking into an occupied home armed with a long hunting knife and used in a threatening manner. I hope they can charge the other deviant with something more than burglary, at least attempted murder.

One report I read stated he was charged with felony murder, meaning that he is charged with the death of his "buddy" because if a death occurs during the commission of a felony, it was reasonably anticipated due to the seriousness of the crime and those involved in the underlying crime (here, breaking and entering) can be held accountable even if they did not directly cause the death. Good. If these creeps had been successful, we'd be hearing some horrible news right about now, about a missing baby and young, widowed mother.

Wow. What a story. I am so glad that there was a good outcome for you.

Something similar happened to me in grad school. After a friend of mine was found strangled, I got a .22 Beretta and a .38 revolver, and a permit to carry a concealed weapon. (Yeah, maybe a little much but she lived alone not far from where I lived alone). One night I had gone to bed early because I had to be at work the next morning at 7:00am. About midnight, I heard someone at the door - banging, pushing. I jumped up, grabbed both pistols, turned all the lights on, and ran towards the door pointing both pistols. I saw a shadow go running off in the dark. When I got to the door, it was already ajar. I quickly locked it - and deadbolted in this time. I sat awake most of the night, terrified. I'm not sure why I didn't call 911 at that moment but I didn't. The next morning, I went outside to leave for work and there were footprints in the snow. That's when I called 911. They came but I swear to God they didn't take it seriously. I told them that I was friends with the girl who had been murdered/strangled and would they fingerprint? Something? Nope. Never did.

The Beretta was stolen out of my car one night about a year later, and my dad asked for the revolver for my grandmother. So I didn't own another gun for over 20 years. DH and I now own a rifle and two shotguns. And won't hesitate to use them to protect our family if we have to. I just hope we never have to.

I'm so glad that Sarah McKinley had weapons and kept a level head throughout her ordeal. She did the right thing.

I don't have a gun but I have several weapons around my bed. The thing I worry about is being surprised in my sleep. If I woke up to someone looming over me, I'd have no chance to grab for any kind of weapon. Guns work when you have the opportunity to lock and load. They are not so good in surprise attacks on the street or in the house which is how most attacks go down. Nevertheless, this story is making me think about getting a gun. I live in a somewhat rough neighborhood and am sometimes alone at night, hearing odd noises or witnessing something bad happening (I'm instantly on the phone to the police when I see something wrong!)

I've shot guns before. Used to like it a lot. Otherwise, I'm not a huge fan today and I'm not opposed to some gun control, like criminals and the mentally ill should not be able to purchase guns, etc. I worry about things like accidental shootings. My godfather almost killed his wife in the middle of the night. heard a sound, went to investigate with his gun loaded and saw a figure in the kitchen. Raised it to shoot when she said, "It's me, Al!" He thought she had been sleeping next to him when he heard the noise!

But with some common sense, I can see how a gun could be an asset. I have no doubt that girl would be dead had it not been for her guns.

21 minutes on the 911 call? Where was LE? Why would it take that long for them to get there? Thank God she was armed for her sake and that of her baby. 21 minutes of terror and no one to help. Geez.

She may live in a remote area. It can take half an hour or more for the police to get to some places.

The article in the OP says that the 911 service there covers two counties. I googled the address and she was in the middle of nowhere. I think with just three deputies, it's not as bad as it sounds, kwim? However, one thing that I didn't get is - they also said the officer was en route within seven minutes. SEVEN? Why not ONE? I'm glad she was able to protect herself and her baby.

He said there are three deputies to cover the county’s 12,000 square miles, meaning a response could hardly be immediate.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-babys-father-died-cancer.html#ixzz1iYZCy6KT

When my 23 yr old moved out of our house he left one of his guns and taught me how to use it. I am glad he did. I have never had to use it, thank goodness, but I am gladit is there. We do not have kids in the home anymore so I am fine with it being in the bedroom. I have a german Shepherd so I would not be taken by surprise. But if anyone could possibly get past the dogs then I would be ready for them. And I would be Pissed.

and they are making a big deal (comments on news sites) because here is this 18 year old young woman who lost her husband to cancer on Christmas day..... Her late husband is in his 50's (i think).

Picture of Sarah's husband at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-babys-father-died-cancer.html#ixzz1iW1dpi7P

You have to scroll way down the page. No way could he have been 50, unless that is a pretty old picture of him. How very sad this is, and it's so good to know that she will not hesitate to protect herself and their baby.

I just saw this story, & came here to search her name to see if it had already been posted. What an amazing young woman. So strong!

Picture of Sarah's husband at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-babys-father-died-cancer.html#ixzz1iW1dpi7P

You have to scroll way down the page. No way could he have been 50, unless that is a pretty old picture of him. How very sad this is, and it's so good to know that she will not hesitate to protect herself and their baby.

I don't really feel it's relevant, but I read somewhere that her husband was 58. That pic of him looks to me like it's from about 1977. Neither here nor there.

I commend this young woman for protecting herself and her beautiful baby boy.

This poor women. To lose your husband on Christmas Day and then have someone break into her home on New Years Eve with the intention to harm her or her child or both. She had no choice in this situation. She sent a strong message. She will probably want to move now and I can't blame her, but I'm sure she will be keeping a gun near, for the rest of her life. She has probably had enough and I can't blame her.

Good job! This is why I shoot to kill. I give a verbal warning, and I attempt to flee, as my state law requires, but I'll admit, I don't try to flee half as hard as I try to aim. And it's for the exact same reason: The bad guys will not get my children. I've been in a similar situation. For days, I knew there was someone casing my house. Strange vehicles that had no place in the neighborhood. Footprints in the snow around the windows. Cigarette butts by the dozens on the edge of the woods across the street from my home. I knew. I drilled myself on the time it would take me access the guns and ammo, I practiced, I kept the phone within arms reach. ANd at 11:30 at night, when it was just me and three kids, it happened. The news ended, I turned off the TV, and heard movement at one of the back windows. THe dog was outside, using the potty for the last time of the night. I couldn't bring him in without opening the door. That wasn't going to happen. I shut my children's bedroom door on the way to my room, grabbed the gun, grabbed the phone, and ran back to the living room. I dialed 911, set the phone down, and repeated three times, "Home invasion in progress, (my address). I am armed, I will shoot to kill, fleeing is not a physical option." WHich, for me, fleeing is not a physical option. I can't run, my back locks up, I hit the floor and then I'm really screwed. The person was in my home by this point, seperated from me by a door that was built at the turn of the century...I gave my verbal warning: "Retreat or I will shoot to kill." I heard a good amount of scrambling, I assume that was one intruder going out the window. I had my finger on the trigger, in case that door opened. Luckily it never did. My roommate came around the corner saw one guy running away, and pulled his truck right up to the window of the house that they used to enter. The guy pretty much just sat down on the floor and waited for the police. That was a wise decision. There was a hormonal woman with a handgun on one side of him, and a 2 1/2 ton truck with a pissed off driver on the other. Waiting for the police was his best option. If that door had opened, if he had coughed, if my roommate would have shown up 5 minutes later, I would have killed him. The police only asked me two things: Would you have shot him, and did you try to flee? yes, I would have shot him, and I fled as far as my physical condition and maternal instinct would allow me to go.

I fully support her. I have seen comments that she should have waited for the police...let's see. At the time she shot the guy, he was already in her home, the police were nowhere in sight. She had been on the phone with 911 for 20+ minutes. She was on her own, she had the right to shoot them, and she acted within those rights. I'm sure there are people that will say that if she could have the presence of mind to give the baby a bottle and speak calmly, she could have grabbed the child and ran...to where? You should never have to flee from your home because an unauthorized person entered without your permission and through a locked door. Thankfully, when people do that, we have the right to kill or severely injure them. I hope this serves as a lesson to people in the future, don't go in someone else's house, no matter how vulnerable they may seem. Unless they invite you in, you aren't supposed to be there. Trying to get through that door anyway might get you shot. Never threaten a mother with a child to protect. We are the most dangerous species on the planet.

I can't shake that feeling either. :waitasec:

The guy had come to her house right after the husband died claiming to be a neighbor. Two of her dogs had recently been killed. The guy kept calling her. I read today her mom remembers the guy as someone who was stalking her two years prior.

I don't believe the guy was after drugs. Why the 12" knife? Two guys could easily have subdued her to get the drugs and then left. I am certain he had the intention of raping and possibly killing her. If you saw pics it looks secluded.

I would have done the same thing had I been in her shoes. It is so true about mothers being the most deadly creatures when her babies are in danger, both in the animal kindom as well as humasns. Criminals should keep that in mind before messing around and threatening mothers. I am proud of this young mother and wish the best for her and her child.

http://www.koco.com/r/30140100/detail.html

In his arrest affidavit, police say Dustin Stewart and accomplice Justin Martin were looking for prescription drugs when they broke into the young mother's home on New Year's Eve.

According to court documents, Martin suspected there would be prescription drugs in the home.

Police said Stewart told them he believed Martin was addicted to prescription medication like hydrocodone.

Wait, what am I missing about drugs.

I have not seen anything reported about drugs.

Was this something stated on HLN?

ETA: Oh nevermind!!! I see the post above mine.

If the killing is as described, then clearly it would be justified.

Apparently, they've charged the other guy with felony murder...interesting. I hope they can prove it, you know?

(And no link just yet, heard it on the news).

Best-
Herding Cats

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member