Teen Student Jumps to Her Death After Caught Cheating on Test

I don't think it's trivial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to the girl, obviously. But vast majority of students accused of cheating don't kill themselves.

Not to the girl, obviously. But vast majority of students accused of cheating don't kill themselves.

True, but it was over the top humiliating and unbearable to this one. She may be one of those kids that holds themselves to such a high standard, her own worst critic, maybe dishonoring her parents may have been part of it. We will probably never know.

What I do know, it is inappropriate to snatch things from people's hands and scream at them. And it's made worse when it happens in front of peers.
IMO

I don't care if she killed Jesus herself. Her past doesn't matter. It just proves something was going on in that family that no one knew. We don't know her. We don't know her whole story. This "she was troubled anyway" bull$hit is really starting to piss me off.

I don't care if she killed Jesus herself. Her past doesn't matter. It just proves something was going on in that family that no one knew. We don't know her. We don't know her whole story. This "she was troubled anyway" bull$hit is really starting to piss me off.

<modsnip> But common sense tells me that since vast majority of students don't kill themselves over cheating allegations, something was going on with this student for her to react this way.

Well, excuse me. No one is forcing you to read it. But common sense tells me that since vast majority of students don't kill themselves over cheating allegations, something was going on with this student for her to react this way.

Seems to me, this incident was the final straw that pushed her over the edge. The interaction she had with her teacher was more than she could bare. I do believe the teacher acted innapropriatly, that doesn't mean I am blaming the teacher solely.

If everyone around her described her as depressed & withdrawn. It's a darn shame that no one cared enough to reach out and offer to help her. Where were all these people before????

We don't know that she was not treated for depression. These treatments don't always work. And anti-depressants can increase risk of suicide in teens (there are even warnings required to be posted on these drugs). I don't know if she was treated or medicated, but if she were, that wouldn't guarantee success.

While I feel no blame can fall on the teacher legally, she is responsible due to the way she handled it. Did it have to be in front of the whole class? Could she not have spoke to her privately? Did she have to snatch the phone and yell drawing attention to her? Was it anyone else's business?

Those were my exact thoughts when I first read about this. Well said!

Regardless if this teacher acted inappropriately or not this girls reaction wasn't normal. I'm pretty sure every teen girl in the world has had a moment where she was embarrassed and wanted to die but you just don't go jump off a bridge.

It makes me sad for this girl that her depression had gotten to this point and she felt this was the only way.

Blaming the teacher for this is horrible. MUCH worse things happen in life than getting caught cheating on a test and being called out on it in front of your peers. This was not the teacher's fault in ANY way.

Yes, it was apparently very serious for the girl, which indicates to me that there were much deeper issues going on that likely nobody but the girl knew about. We can't expect teachers to be mind readers, and know that the girl's reaction to being caught breaking rules would be this extreme. JMO

You know who's fault it is? The person who killed themselves.

I am ever increasingly annoyed by people prosecuted for other people's suicides. When people choose to kill themselves that is what it is. A choice.
I don't care what was said or done, Many people face hardship every day and don't kill themselves. I realize that some may be clinically depressed or mentally ill, But it is still alone their choice.

I am ever increasingly annoyed by people prosecuted for other people's suicides. When people choose to kill themselves that is what it is. A choice.
I don't care what was said or done, Many people face hardship every day and don't kill themselves. I realize that some may be clinically depressed or mentally ill, But it is still alone their choice.

Just hitting the thanks button is not enough!

From above link:

“She snatched it (cell phone) away from her and started screaming at her, ‘Oh, you shouldn’t be cheating! You guys shouldn’t be cheating! You guys are lying to yourselves!’&#8201;”

Adeoye burst into tears, sobbing, “I’m sorry! I’m sorry!”

“Oh, you are not really sorry,” Malikova allegedly snapped back. “That’s not a sincere apology!”

Law-enforcement sources confirmed the classroom exchange.

At around 2:15 p.m., a teary-eyed Adeoye scrawled her desperate note on the test, then asked to use the bathroom.

She never returned — instead walking from the West 140th Street school to the Hudson River’s edge at West 165th Street.

Shocked fishermen watched helplessly as she placed her ID on a rock, then jumped in the water.

BBM I have a huge problem with that.

There is a middle ground here. I don't think a teacher should ever scream at a student (unless there's some sort of mortal and immediate danger, like a young child running into traffic).

On the other hand, I know from the incident I mentioned above how disappointing it is to work hard at teaching a student who then chooses to cheat rather than bothering to study. I can imagine why the teacher in this case exploded.

But it's a big leap from agreeing the teacher could have handled the situation better to actually blaming said teacher for the student's suicide.

Totally agreed. A healthy person wouldn't commit suicide over something so minor. ANYTHING could have happened that day, and she still could have done it. The teacher is not to blame. I read she has struggled with depression for at least two years, has run away, and been hospitalized. That shows even more, that it was the state of mind...and not the teacher.

As someone who comes from a family with a history of suicide, I know that the only people responsible, are those making the choice. Other people holding a suicide over your head is seriously one of the most devastating feelings ever.

I also will not blame the teacher. The girl cheated and was caught. I hate that this young girl felt that she needed to take her life for it, but I will NOT blame the teacher.

MOO

BBM I have a huge problem with that.

Than you would have a huge problem with my relationship with my daughter. She is a strong proponent of the "it's easier to ask forgiveness" philosophy. As are many 15 year old girls. Blatantly cheating on a cell phone during the test is not behavior that you're likely to get away with and not behavior you're likely to do if you're the type of kid who thinks it's wrong.

It appears that the teacher reacted to her as though she were a typical teen aged girl. Maybe she didn't know about her issues.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back