Teen sues family over alleged abortion threat

peeples

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/13/us/texas-pregnant-teen/index.html?hpt=us_c2

A Corpus Christi, Texas, teenager is suing her family, claiming they are trying to force her to have an abortion.

The 14-year-old girl is 10 weeks pregnant and wants to carry her child to term, says her attorney.

The teen sought legal help after she was allegedly physically and verbally assaulted by her grandmother and two cousins.

The grandmother and both cousins are accused in the suit of verbally abusing the girl and scheduling an appointment for an abortion without the teen's permission. The teen's lawyers were able to get an emergency restraining order put in place before the scheduled abortion.

:eek: I'm not sure what to say... well maybe...If she wants to keep the child they need to get off her azz, it is not up to them and to threaten her like that .... It's like saying " were going to take you to kill your child wether you want to or not." Who do they think they are, God !

I hope her attorneys get CPS/DHS involved due to the abuse and harrassment she is going through...she needs to be placed in a home where she can get the treatment and support she needs during her pregnancy...who's to say these 'relatives' would not abuse or kill the child when it is born if they are this adament about not wanting her/him in the home?

She's 14! How in the world is she going to raise a child? I don't agree with physically and verbally assaulting her but it scares the heck out of me knowing she's going ahead with having the baby.

I hope she reconsiders ....if not, putting the baby up for adoption would be the best decision she could make for this child.

Where are her parents? Sounds like she's being raised by grandma with the help of 2 cousins! :banghead:

Can a minor be forced by parent/guardian to have an abortion? That seems kinda weird. OTOH, what happens when the minor has the baby? Can she be forced to sign adoption papers?

Can a minor be forced by parent/guardian to have an abortion? That seems kinda weird. OTOH, what happens when the minor has the baby? Can she be forced to sign adoption papers?

Good questions.

On the other hand her parents can be forced to have a baby they do not want. They can be made to support the baby ,watch the baby and provide daycare while their child attends school and get rest needed to achive decent grades. I think it is awful a minor can force an adult to have a baby.

I fully support a womans right to decide. But we are not talking about a woman here, we are talking about a 14 girl. Crazy that in this day and age ,these teens dont know better. What happened to the five year birth control ?

At 14, she is old enough to know what she wants.

I find this startling only because so many people refer to 21-23 year- old people as "kids" on WS and seem to think they should be treated as such...whereas I think anyone who is 18 should be responsible for anything and everything they do.

Now 14? Not so sure. However I don't think a 14-yr should RAISE a baby, even if she has it. I hope adoption is the answer in the long run.

JMO

I find this startling only because so many people refer to 21-23 year- old people as "kids" on WS and seem to think they should be treated as such...whereas I think anyone who is 18 should be responsible for anything and everything they do.

Now 14? Not so sure. However I don't think a 14-yr should RAISE a baby, even if she has it. I hope adoption is the answer in the long run.

JMO
Well if she committed some crime she could be tried as an adult, so I don't see why she can't decide on whether to have abortion at 14.

I truly knew what I wanted when I was 16 and gave birth to a son my parents forced me to place for adoption; I knew my son and I would have had a harder time than if I were older and more ready, but I also knew I loved him and would sacrifice anything and everything to have the privilege of being recognized as his mom and being allowed to raise him .......so everything in me is on this 14 year old girl's side.

I also know I never forgave my parents until I met my son, when he was 38. Maybe I still haven't forgiven them; I know I still long, with all of my heart, to have been able to have parented my son. Every minute, every hour, every day, week and year that we were apart was pure agony for me....(And that is knowing that he was raised by "mature" parents who were able to give him---at least in a material sense---much more than I could have; maybe you can imagine how great the agony was when I did not know who had been "chosen" to parent my son, did not know if they loved him or were abusive, did not even know if he was alive or had died...) (And it is also before I heard my child, at age 38, tell me how he longed his whole life to know who his "real parents" were, how he wanted so badly to know who his "real momma" was, how he cried for me and prayed to meet me....)

Maybe I am biased---oh, hell, I KNOW I am biased! And I am talking about adoption, not abortion! Thank GOD I at least had a chance to meet my son on this earth!

NOBODY SHOULD BE FORCED TO HAVE AN ABORTION!!!! ABORTION IS 100% IRREVERSIBLE!!!!!

I get that these parents are trying to spare their daughter, if not themselves, pain. But for God's sake, if the girl wants to give life to that child, LET HER.

I'm impressed that this young lady stood up for herself and her unborn child. It shows strength and resourcefulness that she was able to find advocates and resources. God bless her and her child. I'm sure it's hard to see your teenage daughter pregnant, but I hope this family can heal and they can see this little one as a blessing. She may choose to give this child up for adoption or she may accept the hard work of raising her baby while maturing herself. I hope she'll have people to help her either way. Having worked with at risk teens, I've seen both scenarios (raising the child and adoption) work out. Sometimes these young ladies get a wake up call and really rise to the challenges before them. Wishing her and her child all the best!

If she doesn't have family support then most likely she wouldn't be able to take care of the child on her own. The father of the child is probably a minor too (or they would be arresting him otherwise, I presume). But there are other options to abortion, such as giving the child up for adoption, and I believe that a 14 year old should not be forced to have an abortion against her will.

I truly knew what I wanted when I was 16 and gave birth to a son my parents forced me to place for adoption; I knew my son and I would have had a harder time than if I were older and more ready, but I also knew I loved him and would sacrifice anything and everything to have the privilege of being recognized as his mom and being allowed to raise him .......so everything in me is on this 14 year old girl's side.

I also know I never forgave my parents until I met my son, when he was 38. Maybe I still haven't forgiven them; I know I still long, with all of my heart, to have been able to have parented my son. Every minute, every hour, every day, week and year that we were apart was pure agony for me....(And that is knowing that he was raised by "mature" parents who were able to give him---at least in a material sense---much more than I could have; maybe you can imagine how great the agony was when I did not know who had been "chosen" to parent my son, did not know if they loved him or were abusive, did not even know if he was alive or had died...) (And it is also before I heard my child, at age 38, tell me how he longed his whole life to know who his "real parents" were, how he wanted so badly to know who his "real momma" was, how he cried for me and prayed to meet me....)

Maybe I am biased---oh, hell, I KNOW I am biased! And I am talking about adoption, not abortion! Thank GOD I at least had a chance to meet my son on this earth!

NOBODY SHOULD BE FORCED TO HAVE AN ABORTION!!!! ABORTION IS 100% IRREVERSIBLE!!!!!

I get that these parents are trying to spare their daughter, if not themselves, pain. But for God's sake, if the girl wants to give life to that child, LET HER.
:hug: Thank you so much for sharing your powerful story. I'm sorry for how much pain it caused you. Your love comes through. I'm sure your son was blessed to meet you and know how much you loved and missed him.

Incredible post!

It sounds like this family is between the old rock and a hard place. If she has the abortion or doesn't have it there are possible physical repercussions, possible psychological repercussions, and will change her life and her future. There are possible psychological repercussions if she aborts, adopts out or raises the child. And who will care for the baby is also a huge question.

I am glad it will be reviewed in court. Not because I think the family is in the wrong. But because there are many issues that should be looked at in fairness to all.

When a 14 year old becomes pregnant, the statement "in the best interest of the child" takes on a whole new meaning doesn't it.

I once had a case of a 12 year old that had a baby with a 14 year old father. Fortunately, her mother was very supporting and agreed to care for the child so she could finish school, and the father's parents were also involved in a good way and agreed to help support the child. For all the 'children' the adults worked out a good solution.

I'm glad this girl had the gumption to seek help to support her right not to have an abortion involuntarily and hope the court can find another placement for her and her child, or help with an adoption if she agrees. These relatives do not seem to have the best interests of anyone but themselves in mind.

I once had a case of a 12 year old that had a baby with a 14 year old father. Fortunately, her mother was very supporting and agreed to care for the child so she could finish school, and the father's parents were also involved in a good way and agreed to help support the child. For all the 'children' the adults worked out a good solution.

I'm glad this girl had the gumption to seek help to support her right not to have an abortion involuntarily and hope the court can find another placement for her and her child, or help with an adoption if she agrees. These relatives do not seem to have the best interests of anyone but themselves in mind.

No way could I picture this working out in a positive way for any member of the 12 year olds family. There is no way I would turn over a 6 year old to an 18 yr old. Sure it sounds good. In a disneyland kinda way.

24 with a 12 year old? :banghead:

IMO a 14 year old isnt mature enough to make a choice that impacts the rest of their lives in such a way. It is up to the parents to shoulder burden and make the best choice for the 14 year old. Even if that child hates you for it.

A 14 y/o is not legally old enough to work and take care of a baby. They can't even drive legally. Some adult is going to have to be responsible for the care of the 14 y/o AND the baby (financially, emotionally and physically). While I don't agree with the grandmother and aunts being abusive, I can certainly understand their anger.

A 14 y/o is not legally old enough to work and take care of a baby. They can't even drive legally. Some adult is going to have to be responsible for the care of the 14 y/o AND the baby (financially, emotionally and physically). While I don't agree with the grandmother and aunts being abusive, I can certainly understand their anger.

Yes, it's very unlikely she would be able to care for the baby by herself. But applying the standard of doing what's best for the child (in this case a 14 year old), is it beneficial to her in any way to have this abortion? I don't think so. At 14 she is old enough to make a decision on whether to have an abortion or not. Clearly she doesn't have to raise this child by herself, because she can give the child up for adoption. So it's not going to have a long term negative effect on her life.

No way could I picture this working out in a positive way for any member of the 12 year olds family. There is no way I would turn over a 6 year old to an 18 yr old. Sure it sounds good. In a disneyland kinda way.

24 with a 12 year old? :banghead:

IMO a 14 year old isnt mature enough to make a choice that impacts the rest of their lives in such a way. It is up to the parents to shoulder burden and make the best choice for the 14 year old. Even if that child hates you for it.

Nobody said the child was turned over to an 18 or 24 year old. At least the baby was not killed or abused and was receiving support.

What about their own responsibility? They had been taking care of the 14 year old..why didn't they have proper supervision of her to prevent this happening to begin with? If they knew she was sexually active they could at least have provided her with birth control. But their only reaction is to make the situation worse by abusing her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back