Teen urinates in Portland reservoir

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by BetteDavisEyes, Apr 17, 2014.

1. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

Portland water supply to be flushed after teen urinates into reservoir

By Emma Lacey-Bordeaux, CNN

updated 7:34 AM EDT, Thu April 17, 2014

(CNN) -- The city of Portland, Oregon, has been forced to dump millions of gallons of drinking water. Why?

Because someone urinated into a water reservoir.

Surprising still, this isn't the first time this has happened.

The latest incident took place about 1 a.m. Wednesday. Cameras captured three teens near the Mount Tabor Reservoir No. 5. One of them approached the iron fence and apparently got close enough to relieve himself directly into the reservoir...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/17/us/oregon-teen-urinates-into-water-supply/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

2. Loading...

3. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

I admit, it doesn't sound very appetizing but what do they think birds are doing in there as they fly over and lighten their load.:rubberducky:

4. TrackerSam

TrackerSam New Member

And if it's happened before, why wasn't the reservoir covered? Did he put the seat down when he finished?

5. spamelope

spamelope Active Member

What a ridiculous waste of 38 million gallons of water! Urine is sterile anyway. I don't understand why it's not better patrolled. If they can pee in it, they can throw something a lot more nefarious in it.

6. deca

deca New Member

This is ridiculous. The urine would be so incredibly diluted by the millions of gallons that it wouldn't be a danger biologically (urine is typically sterile, anyways). And it wouldn't be detected by odor or color.

7. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

This was the talk by the water cooler at work today. :yow:

But yeah, who knows what else has made its way into the water!

8. joypath

joypath Active Member

:banghead: :scared: AMAZING! What ever happened to chlorination & in some areas, fluoridation to the H2O as it "hits the pipes". you know, enters the closed pipe system of portable drinking water!? :scared:

:truce: PLEASE give me a break, folks! The coliform count (if that's the measuring system that was used to determine "safety") in this body of water must have been astronomical.....and BTW: did anybody start the teenage offender on antibiotics 'cause he must have one heck of a UTI or perhaps at this point, is septic! :banghead::banghead:

:facepalm: The huge issue is SECURITY at the public "watering hole"! :facepalm: Oh yeah, that's "IMVHO"! :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

9. popsicle

popsicle faith hope love

Urine is only sterile for the person it belongs to.

10. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

11. amberjul

amberjul New Member

Covering the Mt. Tabor reservoir has been a hot topic for years now, actually since 9/11. Word is that peeps pee in it on purpose, i.e. those who are "pro" having that seat to put down :floorlaugh:

We natives have a difficult time with what necessities urban growth can bring. It is a lovely walk up there around the open reservoir; always has been... alas, times change and population boom brings those who don't seem to have a feel for the sanctity of places - or, shall I say "tend to get their sanct-ities confused" LOL IMO.

There are many dog owners up there, more and more all the time, and a nice walking path directly adjacent to said reservoir to mosey in the evening... dog owners who don't pick up after pooch seem to be a majority anymore as well. Poo next to open freshwater like that is disgusting, and cause various Problems/Ongoing Issues for especially the last 3 years.

I'd say another year and Mt. Tabor will be closed to the public altogether.

12. deca

deca New Member

I have worked in microbiology safety and security (protecting the food supply)- and usually large bodies of water are not an issue with tampering because a person would have to dump barrels of stuff in it to cause any effect. Of course they should take measures to prevent it, but dumping the lake? geez. AND we are going through a drought now.

13. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

Hopefully, the water cooler is Absopure or another spring water source :giggle:

14. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

I still have no desire to drink it.
    They should release the urinator's name.

15. Tawny

Tawny Bye

Good thing animals never pee in it.

-_-

16. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ New Member

I'm still scratching my head.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. HMSHood

HMSHood Admiral-Class Battlecruiser

I wonder if he was drunk. Really wasteful to be flushed.