Teen visiting Houston for dance classes taken into CPS custody

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by SurfieTX, Dec 2, 2013.

1. SurfieTX

SurfieTX New Member

http://www.khou.com/news/local/oklahoma-dancer-houston-police-cps-234062201.html

2. Loading...

3. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

Ridiculous.

4. txsvicki

txsvicki New Member

It's kind of good that cops detained the three since they were asleep in the vehicle, with no parent. Just to be safe, but cuffing everyone, and not listening to the mom is where is gets so outrageous.

5. jjenny

jjenny Active Member

Houston has a lot of human trafficking. Police see two adult males, one teenage female, dozing off in the car at night-I personally can understand why they would be suspicious.

6. Trino

Trino New Member

I THINK the males were Black, the girls were White.

7. liljim

liljim Former Member

oh, well in that case...

:waitasec:

8. meanmaryjean

meanmaryjean Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)

Anyone can SAY anything (or MADE to say anything, in the case of the girl) and WRITE anything (the letter from the parent). Err on the side of caution and (possibly) rescue a young girl? I think they did the right thing.

9. TGIRecovered

TGIRecovered Active Member

Why do you think that? Is it in an article or police report?

I have daughters. If I sent my kids to another city in the care of another adult and the police found them asleep in a vehicle, I would be very upset if police did not get everyone out if the vehicle and confirm their identities. Anyone can write a note. I would want a call from the cops.

I would also want to know if anyone appeared to be under the influence if drugs or alcohol. When people in the car out number the cop or cops who were there it is wise to handcuff everyone until it's sorted out so no one can run off or assault someone. MOO

10. liljim

liljim Former Member

video at link in first post.

11. LadyL

LadyL Active Member

If I were that mother, I would be grateful that police are looking out for young teen girls, hers in particular.

The cuffing might be scary but I think they did the right thing.

Why are three people dozing off in a gas station parking lot? Not one of the adults could stay awake enough to drive to the hotel? I find it odd that all three fell asleep.

12. jjenny

jjenny Active Member

They were sleeping (or dozing off, as they say it) in car, at night, at a gas station. Seems like police had a right to investigate as to what was going on. Because it doesn't seem like a common situation, does it?

13. liljim

liljim Former Member

i have not heard a single person say that the police did not have a right to investigate.

14. jjenny

jjenny Active Member

Then what exactly is the complaining about? Houston, of all places, is not a good place to be sleeping in a car at night-it's not exactly a low crime area.

15. Karmady

Karmady Former Member

My dd does this and I send her with a notarized document, too. Anything can be forged, but a notarized document is both signed and sworn by the notary that the person signing is who they say they are based on verification to the notary and personal observation of the person signing the document. Notaries are authorized by the Court. Not just randoms. A notarized document is, on its face, proof of its contents. Similar to a birth certificate with a raised seal.

I think investigating was totally appropriate under the circumstances. But a review of the affidavit and the i.d. of the adults should have been sufficient. A call to the parent would have been fine, too, but not necessary. They police went WAY overboard, imo. And why in the world would they cuff the girl???

jmo

16. liljim

liljim Former Member

i havent complained about anything.

but i would be surprised at anyone reading that story and imagining that it was their child and not having any questions regarding the way things went after the police had "investigated".

17. jjenny

jjenny Active Member

I would be having question why my child was "dozing off" in a car at night.

18. liljim

liljim Former Member

im not sure what that has to do with whether or not these people can have legitimate questions about how they were treated.

but lets say this mother also had questions about why they were asleep in the car, and that those questions were answered to her satisfaction... now what?

19. jjenny

jjenny Active Member

I have no clue. I am not the kid's mother. I personally wouldn't be sending my teenage girl with adult males on any trips, but presumably that's just me.

20. liljim

liljim Former Member

im confused, i thought we were talking about why anyone would have any complaint (questions imo) about the way this was handled by the police. thats what i was trying to do anyway.

21. pdxmama

pdxmama New Member

No just you, jjenny :)