Teenager competes in surf meet 10 weeks after losing arm in shark attack

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by Casshew, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii (AP) - Teen surfer Bethany Hamilton returned to competition Saturday, just 10 weeks after losing her left arm in a shark attack.

The 13-year-old Hamilton placed fifth in her age group in the Open Women Division of a National Scholastic Surfing Association meet at Banyans.

"It was definitely a good start," Hamilton said.

It was Hamilton's first meet since the weekend before she was attacked Oct. 31, although she returned to the water Thanksgiving Day.

Hamilton began with a modest two-foot wave, but caught a six-footer during her quarter-final heat. She kicked her left leg to help propel her 6-foot-2 surfboard into waves, and occasionally struggled when pushing off the board with one hand.

Full story from cnews

2. Loading...

3. Puca

Puca New Member

Now that is a girl that has more courage than I have. I was born and raised on the Maine coast and a summer day was not complete without a swim in the ocean. Never gave sharks a thought! ( Oh youth! I think that "jaws" was born there, before his parents sent him to Cape Cod to harrass the islanders.)
    Here is a little trivia. 50% of ALL shark attacks in the WORLD occur in Fla.
    :doh: Rambling again! More power to you Bethany!!!!! :blowkiss:

4. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

5. wendybtn

wendybtn Well-Known Member

Good for her! Here's hoping for a healthy baby!