Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - 12 Boys And Coach Rescued from Cave, 23 June 2018 #6

Me four...or is it five now?

It doesn't come often that we see such a happy ending on such a tragic story (all but for Saman Gunan) with so many jumping in to help. I am in awe of all of these wonderful souls.

Sharing this with all of you has been so uplifting, as we were all wanting this impossible thing to happen, and it did!

Many thanks to all who have posted all of these articles and videos that I have been enjoying on and off the last couple of days.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F2a0c1b3a-867c-11e8-b7ab-42d55e61ad8f.jpg

BBM..I believe this is the sketch you were referring to. HTH
Oh, wonderful! Thank you, kdg!❤︎ I was going to go on a hunt for it, but now I don't have to! Of course I was hoping - nah - who am I kidding -- I knew one you fine WSers would come up with it! :) TYA!

I am back Verdi :) I was very busy with a very sad personal situation but I'm now able to be online again.

I was wondering about those two team members who didn't come along that fateful day. (I think one didn't go because he didn't have his bicycle?) When it became clear that the boys were trapped in the cave they (and their families) must have been immensely relieved and grateful that they didn't go with them. But what about now? Those 12 and sweet coach Ek are now world famous, been invited all over the world to football matches, and even a movie (or two) is being made! Will they feel a pang of envy? They're teenagers after all ... ;)

Oh no! So sorry to hear that! Hope you're alright.
❤︎*HUG*❤︎

And, I was going to say the same thing earlier, about the boys maybe wishing they had gone. (Now that all is well, yes?)
But of course, now see - once again - had they gone, we all can see that it wouldn't have been a 100% successful rescue. The whole cave flooded just hours after the last divers were out. In fact iirc, some were still in there, in a safe area, closer to the entrance (exit).
Then the monsoon rain poured soon after, too.
So, had there been more boys to rescue, they would have been back there waiting, along with the Thai Doc and 3 other divers. And well, with that senario, I think we all know how that would have ended up. That iconic photo of the Fab Four - we would never have seen.
So, there ya go! Another fortuitous event, leading up to it...
maybe that's miracle #1, that those kids didn't go. The string just keeps getting longer, and longer. :)
So the Mom who kept her kids from going is a before-the-fact, incidental hero, too. :)

ETA/ Wait a minute... not just them, but the whole cave may still have been filled with the assembly-line of rescuers, too. And Coach, and 11-y-o cutie.
Lordy, what a real disaster this could have been.
OK - enough - this could go on forever, lol.
Yes, it was, as everyone is saying, the Perfect Storm for a Miracle.

Last edited:

Yay! Thank you everyone, for letting me know you're still around.
And I agree, there will be lots more news coming up...
Especially when the boys are all released from the hospital.
Do you think they'll release them one by one as they get better?
Or will they wait until they're all able to walk out together?
In a selfish way - I hope it's the latter - well, just as long as it wouldn't make any kids or their families wait too long, of course.

But idk... maybe they won't make an event out of it.
Or maybe they will make it a "final public appearance" and say, "bye-bye...we're gonna carry on with our lives now, so ...Leave us alone, and Toodaloo!" Have they even been allowed to watch TV or get online yet? Anyone heard anything about that?

Oh no! So sorry to hear that! Hope you're alright.
❤︎*HUG*❤︎

And, I was going to say the same thing earlier, about the boys maybe wishing they had gone. (Now that all is well, yes?)
But of course, now see - once again - had they gone, we all can see that it wouldn't have been a 100% successful rescue. The whole cave flooded just hours after the last divers were out. In fact iirc, some were still in there, in a safe area, closer to the entrance (exit).
Then the monsoon rain poured soon after, too.
So, had there been more boys to rescue, they would have been back there waiting, along with the Thai Doc and 3 other divers. And well, with that senario, I think we all know how that would have ended up. That iconic photo of the Fab Four - we would never have seen.
So, there ya go! Another fortuitous event, leading up to it...
maybe that's miracle #1, that those kids didn't go. The string just keeps getting longer, and longer. :)
So the Mom who kept her kids from going is a before-the-fact, incidental hero, too. :)

ETA/ Wait a minute... not just them, but the whole cave may still have been filled with the assembly-line of rescuers, too. And Coach, and 11-y-o cutie.
Lordy, what a real disaster this could have been.
OK - enough - this could go on forever, lol.
Yes, it was, as everyone is saying, the Perfect Storm for a Miracle.

I think the rescue chief would say the ones who went to the cave were "the perfect ones" ;)

*For anyone who doesn't know what I'm referencing see the article here: Eight boys now freed in daring rescues from Thai cave

la-1531512114-j61thy1o6f-snap-image

Kunan, 38, has been eulogized as an adventurer, a helper, an achiever and the perfect husband.

For Ter and the 80-odd current and former Thai Navy SEALs who worked around the clock to free the boys trapped in the Tham Luang Nang Non caves, he is something more.

“SEALs are like brothers, from the same family,” Ter said. “We were trained as a team because a mission cannot be achieved by one person alone.”
“Sam took leave to come here by himself,” said Mongkol Chankaew, another former Navy SEAL who works alongside Kunan and Ter at the airport. “When we learned that, we did not think it was a good idea.”

And so, a band of 10 brothers, now working at various airports but forever Navy SEALs, hightailed it after him.

“When we see a brother having a difficult time, we’ll come from every part of the country to help,” Ter said. “SEAL alumni headed toward the cave with no appointments.”
On the evening of July 5, security bosses from numerous airports agreed to release teams of former SEALs to the caves. The next morning, Ter was packing his bags, flight ticket in hand, when his phone flickered.

He opened a group chat and read a message that said his good friend was dead.

He put his phone in his pocket, finished packing his bags and proceeded to the airport. The men cried when they saw each other.
“We couldn’t let him die in vain,” Ter said. “We were discouraged, but we would never back out. We had to carry on his work.”

When they arrived at Mae Sai, the men were immediately put to work hauling equipment in and out of Chamber 3, a holding zone about a mile from the mouth of the cave — and the place where Kunan had died.

Read more:
Amid celebration, Thai divers who helped rescue soccer team trapped in cave mourn their friend

:(

A photo the boys posted to Facebook shortly before they went in the cave:
_102510536_4a701650-d6a6-42d8-893a-1057c3844e5b.jpg

Once at the mouth of Tham Luang, they stashed their bikes and bags by the cave entrance.

The team and their young coach were ready to celebrate Night's birthday. They had often ventured deep into Tham Luang, sometimes as far as 8km, for initiation rites where they would write the names of new team members on a cave wall.

In high spirits, they clambered into the cave with just their torches. They didn't need much else - after all, they were only planning to be there for an hour.

They would not emerge until two weeks later.

Back at Night's home, his family began to worry. His birthday cake sat untouched.

Where were the Wild Boars?
Night's birthday cake and presents:
_102510541_nightbirthdaycomposite.png

Deep in the cave, the Wild Boars found themselves in trouble. It had been raining for the last few days, and all that water falling on the mountain had to go somewhere.

That somewhere was the Tham Luang cave system, which was fast filling up.

One initial account from the boys suggests they were caught off-guard by a flash flood. They needed to get out, but instead had no choice but to scramble even deeper into the cave.

Rescuers also turned to the villagers for local knowledge. The Thai Navy Seals found a boy, a Wild Boar member who happened to have skipped the cave expedition. He recalled a place in the complex they'd visited before - called Pattaya Beach.

Could the missing 13 be there?
Amid the flurry of rescue operations, a small group kept vigil at the mouth of the cave.
These were the boys' families, worriedly offering prayers for their lives. Among them was Tum Kantawong, the godmother of Coach Ake.

Every day she went up the mountain, carrying fruits, incense and candles. "It was to show respect to the spirit that protects the cave. I asked her to protect the 13 kids," she said.
The group gradually expanded to include concerned teachers from the schools the Wild Boars attended.

"We wanted to be the first to welcome the boys when they came out," said school administrator Ampin Saenta, who is so close to one boy, Adul, that she calls herself his "mama-teacher".

Classmates of the Wild Boars held group prayers, sang songs of encouragement into the cave, folded paper cranes, and posted messages of hope on school noticeboards.

Villages rallied together, donating money and hundreds of packages of food to the relatives of the boys and their coach.
Much more at link: The full story of Thailand’s extraordinary cave rescue

Live coverage of the cleanup outside the cage. Just started.

PR.Chiangrai ประชาสัมพันธ์จังหวัดเชียงราย

PR.Chiangrai ประชาสัมพันธ์จังหวัดเชียงราย is live now.
14 mins ·
Live!! 09.10 น. เริ่มแล้วจ้าทำความสะอาดโดยรอบถ้ำหลวง อ.แม่สาย จ.เชียงราย

Live!! 09.10 pm Started. Cleaning around the luang cave. Maesai. Chiang Rai
·
Rate this translation

The boys now recuperating and the rescuers who brought them to safety are starting to share stories of the dangers and their survival. The hospital in northern Thailand where the 12 boys and their soccer coach are quarantined said Friday they are basically healthy, aside from some minor infections. A psychiatrist said their mental state seems fine.
Family members, first able to reunite with them only through a glass window, now can meet face-to-face though still not touch, to ensure any illnesses don't spread.
The mother of the youngest Wild Boar teammate, 11-year old Chanin Wiboonrungruang, told a Bangkok newspaper that her son told her the team did not make a special point of bringing along food since they were only planning a short trek into the cave.

"After the first three nights with no food in the cave, my son felt extreme hunger and cried," Aikhan told the Bangkok Post. "He had to rely only on water dripping from the rock. It was very cold at night and pitch dark. They had to lie huddled together.
Thai rescue: Boys' parents reveal their sons' harrowing ordeal inside cave

I guess the earlier reports they had some food to ration were wrong. Where did the stories come from that the coach gave up his food? And that poor sweet 11 year old had to stay longer in the cave than the other boys :(

The boys, ages 11 to 16, and their 25-year-old coach were described as generally being in good condition Thursday while they recuperate at a hospital in Chiang Rai province. The group must finish their seven-day course of antibiotics, according to a statement from Jedsada Chokdumrongsuk, permanent secretary at Thailand's Ministry of Public Health.

Blood tests results showed no signs of infectious diseases that they might have contracted during their weeks stranded deep within a partly flooded cave near the village of Pong Pha. Doctors are still awaiting the results of laboratory tests for viral infections, Jedsada said.
The first four boys to be evacuated Sunday had no fever by Thursday. Two who had minor lung infections were improving.

Two of the four boys who were rescued Monday had mild fevers still on Thursday, but their vital signs were normal.

Of the four boys and the coach who were evacuated last, on Tuesday, three have fevers and three have ear infections, according to Jedsada.
Family members are now permitted to have contact with them while visiting, but must wear hospital gowns and surgical masks, Jedsada said. They were initially kept more than six feet away from the boys and the coach for fear of contagion.
Boys rescued from Thailand cave steadily recovering at hospital, officials say

Attachments

• C8E16801-0024-470F-B04C-010293FE573D.jpeg
    C8E16801-0024-470F-B04C-010293FE573D.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 9
Here's a bit on the boys who did not go to the cave with their teammates. Slightly different stories than what I have heard before. No mention of one not going because his mother said he could not.

Teammates who skipped ill-fated hike into cave don't blame trapped squad's coach

ABC News' Matt Gutman speaks with the other members of the Wild Boars soccer team in Chiang Rai province, Thailand, July 6, 2018.
upload_2018-7-13_22-51-32.jpeg

[Queue and Kaan]
-Both boys, who go by their nicknames, had planned to go on the June 23 hike into Tham Luang Nang Non,
-Queue, 13, didn't go because he had stayed up late watching a World Cup match, and Kaan, also 13, was sick. Otherwise, they'd also be stranded in the partly flooded cave.
-Queue said he wouldn't even always tell his mother when he visited the cave, giving off the impression that the hike wasn't considered particularly dangerous.
-The coach would often give the boys a pep talk before entering the vast cave
-"We brought some food, water and lots of flashlights," [they sometimes went out and were in the dark, but were not afraid because cosch was with them]
-kept on walking and scribbled their names or drew pictures on the cave's walls.
-Queue said Thai officials came to him and his other teammates for information about the cave, asking about which route they usually took and what the conditions were like inside.
- - -
The two boys who narrowly missed going on disastrous cave trip

https://nypost.com/2018/07/05/the-two-boys-who-narrowly-missed-going-on-disastrous-cave-trip/

Songpol Kanthawong and Tsaweechai Namsang
, both 13, shared their good fortune with the Daily Mail while their 12 friends and coach remained trapped inside the flooded Thamg Luang cave for a 13th day. (one because he hadn’t finished his homework and the other because he didn’t have his bike).

- - -

Two Thai schoolboys miraculously missed ill-fated cave trip at last minute | Daily Mail Online

upload_2018-7-13_22-54-30.jpeg
Songpol Kanthawong and Tsaweechai Namsang – both 13 – were supposed to be with 12 other boys and their football coach

Songpol told MailOnline: 'I should have gone on the trip to the cave but I didn't have my bike so I could ride up there. Otherwise I would have been stuck too.'

Tsaweechai added: 'I was going to go to the cave but I had not done my homework. So I had to go home to finish it.'

A photo the boys posted to Facebook shortly before they went in the cave:
_102510536_4a701650-d6a6-42d8-893a-1057c3844e5b.jpg

Night's birthday cake and presents:
_102510541_nightbirthdaycomposite.png

Much more at link: The full story of Thailand’s extraordinary cave rescue
Yes! That photo of them on the bikes that day, before going in. I knew I had seen that before, and thought I'd saved it, but couldn't find it. tyvm, Gards. Someone's missing... the friend? Looks like Coach took/posted the pic.
Awww... there's the birthday cake...
I am so thrilled for Knight and his family, that he'll finally get to eat it! (Or, well, perhaps a fresh replica. ) It states in the article that he turned 17, but I do believe he is 16, as Thai's often consider the DOB at "1". so that one year after birth, they are "2".
Where is Jennifer17, btw?
That's a really great article, lots of info and photos. tya

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304