Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - 12 Boys And Coach Rescued from Cave, 23 June 2018 #6

DISCOVERY PRESENTS
Operation Thai Cave Rescue

This exclusive special goes behind the scenes of the Thailand cave rescue for the first time, highlighting the remarkable men and women who faced danger to become heroes and the groundbreaking technology that made the rescue possible.
41 min|TV-PG|Premiered 07/13/2018

Operation Thai Cave Rescue | Discovery Presents

What sedation are you talking about? I haven’t seen anything other than speculation about sedation prior to this.

A British driver involved in the rescue initially said the boys were given ketamine but Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-O-Cha clarified that it was an anti-anxiety medication, and that they were still conscious.

Why Thai cave boys were sedated

"Who would chloroform them? If they're chloroformed, how could they come out? It's called anxiolytic, something to make them not excited, not stressed," he said at a press conference in Bangkok.

After days of mounting speculation, a former Thai Navy Seal diver broke the silence, revealing that the boys were sleeping or partially conscious as they were passed from diver to diver through the cave.

Thai cave rescue: Boys were sedated and stretchered through Tham Luang cave

"Some of them were asleep, some of them were wiggling their fingers... (as if) groggy, but they were breathing," Commander Chaiyananta Peeranarong told news agency Agence France-Presse.

"My job was to transfer them along," he said, adding that the "boys were wrapped up in stretchers already when they were being transferred" and were monitored at regular intervals by doctors posted along the kilometres-long escape route.

A British driver involved in the rescue initially said the boys were given ketamine but Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-O-Cha clarified that it was an anti-anxiety medication, and that they were still conscious.

Oh my! Ketamine? I hope not. We use it veterinary medicine and I know plenty of addicts (people, not animals, LOL) would occasionally try to rip off other clinics in the area where I worked to get their hands on it. Apparently it is a pretty powerful trip for humans.

Anti-anxiety medication I can see happening. Some of it is very mild; you are awake but remain calm and there are no special breathing measures that need be given which would be ideal since the Wild Boars were masked. No intubation or other extraordinary breathing measures were taken that I have heard of.

Hells bells, pretty much all of us wanted some anti-anxiety assistance as we all sat through the days of this rescue. ;)

The 12 Thai boys and their football coach who were rescued from a cave complex last week are set to be discharged from hospital a day early on Wednesday, before addressing the media for the first time since their dramatic ordeal.

[...]

Some of the boys had pneumonia but last week the health minister confirmed they were recovering quickly. At a video played at a press conference over the weekend, the boys appeared in good spirits, thanking those involved in their rescue.

The boys and their coach were due to be discharged on Thursday but have recovered so quickly they are being let out early.

Thai cave rescue boys set to address media for first time

The 12 Thai boys and their football coach who were rescued from a cave complex last week are set to be discharged from hospital a day early on Wednesday, before addressing the media for the first time since their dramatic ordeal.

[...]

Some of the boys had pneumonia but last week the health minister confirmed they were recovering quickly. At a video played at a press conference over the weekend, the boys appeared in good spirits, thanking those involved in their rescue.

The boys and their coach were due to be discharged on Thursday but have recovered so quickly they are being let out early.

Thai cave rescue boys set to address media for first time

Thai authorities hope the press conference will satisfy huge media interest in the boys’ story. They have been concerned about the impact of sudden fame and media attention on the boys’ mental health, so Wednesday’s news conference will be carefully controlled. Journalists will submit questions in advance, which will be vetted by a psychologist. Approved questions will be put to the boys by a moderator.

“We want to reduce public curiosity,” the government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd told Reuters on Tuesday. “We arrange it so that, after that, the boys can go back to their regular lives,” Sansern said.

... from above link. That means it could be at 10 tonight as tonight eastern time is tomorrow 10 a.m. correct? I haven't seen anything that tells what time the press conference will be yet.

I wonder if they whole conflict of whether they were sedated or not is a translation issue? When I think of the word "sedated" I equate it with a person safely sleeping under medication or gas of some sort (like at the dentist when you get a tooth pulled). I think of sedation as a relatively safe procedure. But the objections from the Thai Prime Minister and the mention of "who would chloroform them?" makes me wonder if the Thai people are translating "sedated" into something much worse than going to sleep or something dangerous where they wouldn't even be able to move or breathe on their own. Then the Thai Navy Seal basically confirms what the English speaking divers have said-- that the boys were asleep but breathing, wiggling their fingers, etc... No one who said they were sedated thought they weren't breathing or were completely paralyzed, right? But perhaps that is how the word sedated is being translated as giving medication that would stop their breathing/make them comatose? And perhaps that is a horrifying thought to the Thai people (sounds pretty scary to me too) so they are clarifying and saying "no, no it was just something for their anxiety"? IDK, just speculating. It seems that many of the other conflicting reports we got during this story was due to a translation error or a cultural misunderstanding. MOO.

Thai kids were ‘sedated’ before dangerous journey to safety
10 July 2018

[...]
A source told Khaosod English that the four boys were “medically sedated” for the dangerous journey out of the Tham Luang cave network — to reduce the chance that they would have an anxiety attack on their way out.

“Reviving them fully is why it takes time for them to emerge from the cave entrance,” the source said.

When asked about the drugs, Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha insisted the boys were not given an anesthetic, just anti-anxiety medication, without specifying which kind, The Guardian reported. BBM

“Who the hell would give that to a kid?” he said about an anesthetic, adding the boys were instead given “something to make them not too nervous and panic.”

“I also take them when I am shooting,” he said, presumably to steady his nerves.
[...]
https://nypost.com/2018/07/10/thai-kids-were-sedated-before-dangerous-journey-to-safety/

Above report came out after first four boys rescued. Oh my, bad example of medication use Prime Minister. I also noticed his statement was soon deleted in some news accounts.

Last edited:
A Gloucestershire water pumping expert says he witnessed “a miracle” first hand when the Thai teenage footballers were rescued from a cave.

Phil Delaney was flown out to Thailand to take part in the emergency rescue because of his expertise with the kind of pumps being used to reduce water levels in the cave.

And the endurance athlete from the Forest of Dean was near the cave entrance when the boys emerged and were whisked into waiting ambulances.
“He said it was like a miracle when they came out,” said Helen Myden, human resources manager of SPP Pumps Ltd in Coleford.

“There was a lot of jubilation as the ambulances took the boys away and everybody was in complete awe of the divers who risked their lives to bring them back.
“But Phil said one of the things to make the biggest impact on him was how calm everything was while it was going on.

"Despite what was happening, the atmosphere was completely calm and controlled and everything was well organised.”
Read more: Humble Gloucestershire expert helped "miracle" Thai cave rescue

CHIANG RAI, Thailand — Longtime dive school partners Mikko Paasi and Ivan Karadzic were on different continents when they got the calls for help.

Paasi, 43, rushed to this northern Thai city from Malta on July 2, his eighth wedding anniversary, to meet up with Karadzic, who had cut short a vacation cave-diving near the Thai province of Krabi, and one of their close friends, Erik Brown, a Canadian diver.
The Thai government, the divers said, had told them it needed their expertise and specialized equipment for an audacious mission: to locate and ultimately, it was hoped, extricate 12 young boys and their soccer coach from a flooded cave by diving them out.
Part of a small, tightknit group of technical divers used to a laid-back life on the resort island of Koh Tao, the three eventually became a crucial part of the effort to shepherd the boys through the cave’s narrow, mud-clogged passages, as the world waited and watched. U.S. military officials described them as among the world’s top cave divers, whose niche passion helped pull off an undertaking many thought would end in multiple deaths.

“If you can use the skill set to help in any way you can, you have to,” said Brown, 36. “Lots of people would have done it — we just happened to be really close.”

Read more: These divers had a pretty chill life in Thailand. Then came the cave rescue mission.

Jim Warny, originally from Belgium but now lives in Ennis, Ireland, helped in the fearless rescue and has given his first interview since the football team were rescued.

The rescuer who has been cave diving for 20 years, opened up about the length of time it took to reach the boys inside the cave.

He said: "It's varied between fully flooded sections - the shortest part was five metres long and the longest was 350 metres long
Speaking to presenter Philip Boucher Hayes, he said: "It was always in the back of my head that I would get the call - I happened to see that one of the guys out there was active on Facebook and I text saying, 'I'm here if you need me' and he replied instantly saying, 'How quick can you be'?

"I said two hours, and then five minutes later I was packing my bags to go and flew out the following morning."
<Snip>
"They were close to being fully sedated - if anything went wrong it would have jeopardised the survival of the boys."

Towards the end of the rescue mission, Mr Warny was asked by a lead diver to assist and he helped bring one of the boys out of the cave.
"It was a miracle everything worked, there were difficulties, yes, but there was an amazing team involved," he added.
It was a miracle everyone got out alive, Thai cave diver says

I meant to ask this earlier but forgot - are there no female expert cave divers? I think all the divers involved in this rescue were male? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Summer is usually the slow season for scuba diving at Bonne Terre Mine in Missouri, about an hour south of St. Louis. But not this year. Not since 12 young soccer players and their coach were rescued from a flooded cave in Mae Sai, Thailand, captivating the world and thrusting diving into the spotlight.
"My gosh our phone's been blowing up, it's been great," said Douglas Goergens, who owns the mine with his wife, Catherine.
He said the calls started coming in one week into the two-week ordeal and continued through the rescue, with people inquiring about diving and diving certification - and wanting to talk about what they were seeing in Northern Thailand. "It's shown how diving can actually save people's lives who are not divers," Goergens said. "Had it turned out bad, I don't know, but my gosh, the way it turned out, it's a miracle."
Although it's only been a matter of weeks since the start of the Thailand cave incident, the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), which is the world's leading scuba training organization, has seen increased demand: Global PADI Cavern Diver certifications have increased 150 percent over this month last year, according to the organization. Before enrolling in those courses, divers need to be at least 18 years old and be certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver. The main difference between cavern and cave diving, according to PADI, is that with cavern diving the diver will always be able to see natural light, making it easy to access open water.
Read more: Cave-diving experts feel the ripples of the Thailand rescue — a rise in demand

Street food cooks turned out to be some of the everyday heroes of the recent Thailand cave rescue, demonstrating altruism, generosity and a selflessness of spirit that touched those who followed the dramatic events, especially me.
There were countless heroes involved in the Thai cave rescue that saved twelve young members of the Wild Boars football team and their coach, who spent nine days perched on a muddy ledge 4 kilometres (2.5 miles) from the entrance to flooded Tham Luang cave in northern Thailand when British divers discovered them on the 2nd July.
But for some reason I was most touched by the efforts of hundreds of ordinary Thai people in the Thai cave rescue – poor people whose livelihoods rather than lives were at stake – who would turn out to be everyday heroes of this story.
Read more : Street Food Cooks, the Everyday Heroes of the Thailand Cave Rescue

This made me hungry, lol-- I love Asian street food :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288