Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - 12 Boys And Coach Still Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no "Safe game." Though waiting it out may be safer than their other options. Everything really depends on the weather.
Yes, for sure the long game also comes with dangers, that’s why I wished we had historical data about the water table levels. If the boys are safe in the cavern, no matter how uncomfortable it may be, as long as they were safe from drowning, to me that is the choice I would make for my child. The Chilean miners spent 69 uncomfortable days before their rescue via a drilled hole... maybe they had less choices in that case, but for now we have contact, food, water and love...as long as we can survive rising waters.

(...In fact the idea of my kid trying to undertake a dive in opaque waters in a cave that has challenged experienced divers would be enough for me prefer it to be the very last option)

Yes, for sure the long game also comes with dangers, that’s why I wished we had historical data about the water table levels. If the boys are safe in the cavern, no matter how uncomfortable it may be, as long as they were safe from drowning, to me that is the choice I would make for my child. The Chilean miners spent 69 uncomfortable days before their rescue via a drilled hole... maybe they had less choices in that case, but for now we have contact, food, water and love...as long as we can survive rising waters.

(...In fact the idea of my kid trying to undertake a dive in opaque waters in a cave that has challenged experienced divers would be enough for me prefer it to be the very last option)

If they have enough oxygen, are guaranteed not to drown from rising floodwaters and aren't at risk for contracting a deadly disease. I agree that they shouldn't have them dive. Really the best option would be to get the water low enough so they can walk/crawl out. Since monsoon season lasts for 4 months and starts this weekend I don't know if that will be a possibility. They may have no choice but to wait it out and if the other complications happen, there won't be much they can do about it unfortunately.

Diagram shows 1 km ... that is 3280 feet.
Okay. Look at the topography above the cavern next to where the boys are located. It is half the distance to the ground surface from where they are currently located. If they could swim or dive that short distance to another cavern, they are 1640 feet below the surface. That is a shorter distance that the 2300 feet from which the Chilean miners were rescued.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 9.50.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 9.50.46 PM.png
    898.9 KB · Views: 18
If they have enough oxygen, are guaranteed not to drown from rising floodwaters and aren't at risk for contracting a deadly disease. I agree that they shouldn't have them dive. Really the best option would be to get the water low enough so they can walk/crawl out. Since monsoon season lasts for 4 months and starts this weekend I don't know if that will be a possibility. They may have no choice but to wait it out and if the other complications happen, there won't be much they can do about it unfortunately.
I don't think there are any guarantees in this situation.

Okay. Look at the topography above the cavern next to where the boys are located. It is half the distance to the ground surface from where they are currently located. If they could swim or dive that short distance to another cavern, they are 1640 feet below the surface. That is a shorter distance that the 2300 feet from which the Chilean miners were rescued.
They don't know how to swim.

The boys are currently 2640 feet below the ground (0.5 miles) where they are currently located.

If they were able to swim to a cavern next to theirs (on either side and it's not a skinny passageway) they would only be approx. 1320 feet underground.
The 33 Chilean miners who were RESCUED were trapped at 2300 feet underground.

The Chilean rescue cost $20 million dollars, but it was donated by industries and other countries (mainly the USA).

Beg for donations and start drilling!

Drilling into a cave system that is not well mapped is completely different from drilling into a mapped mine. They may miss the small chamber they are aiming for. Or they may bring the entire cave down upon their heads by drilling. Not to mention the logistical nightmare of transporting drilling equipment up the mountain without the weight of the equipment itself collapsing the cave tunnels. Even if they could be assured that they would hit the mark the first time and not collapse the cave in the process, it took 69 days to drill the miners out. By the time the drilling is finished the monsoon season will be almost over and they can walk out through dry cave tunnels. JMO.

They don't know how to swim.
Then put an oxygen mask on them, wrap duct tape around it so it can't come off, tie their hands to their side and have a big, strong Navy Seal pull them to the neighboring cavern which is a distance from the ground that can be reached by drilling. Read about the Chilean mining rescue which rescued 33 miners from 2300 feet underground.

Pumping water out will need to continue during the rains so the water levels don't rise further. I hope they can keep that level down.
I know. Remember in the beginning they were pumping and the waters were still rising. They've gotten more pumps so hopefully that will do the trick.

Drilling into a cave system that is not well mapped is completely different from drilling into a mapped mine. They may miss the small chamber they are aiming for. Or they may bring the entire cave down upon their heads by drilling. Not to mention the logistical nightmare of transporting drilling equipment up the mountain without the weight of the equipment itself collapsing the cave tunnels. Even if they could be assured that they would hit the mark the first time and not collapse the cave in the process, it took 69 days to drill the miners out. By the time the drilling is finished the monsoon season will be almost over and they can walk out through dry cave tunnels. JMO.
We now have 3D seismic technology that shows everything underground for over a mile.

I had to go take a walk, the loss of the diver shook me up. :(

This may be an example of something I feared, but didn't want to bring myself to write:

These rescuers are really putting themselves at risk. And I understand that-- who wouldn't risk this? They have good hearts, strong will, superb training and a burning desire to rescue these young people. It's heartfelt need they have to rescue these young men at any cost is also, sadly, somewhat of a risk.

I am not blaming. I praise them. Had I any skills of use in this situation I'd have been on a plane to Thailand days ago. All we can do is hope, and pray to the divine source that we will see a miracle.

Ick. I hate having these thoughts. I need a good, strong cup of tea. And so much for giving up smoking today. ;)

The equipment used to drill the hole to bring up the Chilean miners was significantly smaller and less heavy that an oil rig.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 12.25.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 12.25.05 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
I had to go take a walk, the loss of the diver shook me up. :(

This may be an example of something I feared, but didn't want to bring myself to write:

These rescuers are really putting themselves at risk. And I understand that-- who wouldn't risk this? They have good hearts, strong will, superb training and a burning desire to rescue these young people. It's heartfelt need they have to rescue these young men at any cost is also, sadly, somewhat of a risk.

I am not blaming. I praise them. Had I any skills of use in this situation I'd have been on a plane to Thailand days ago. All we can do is hope, and pray to the divine source that we will see a miracle.

Ick. I hate having these thoughts. I need a good, strong cup of tea. And so much for giving up smoking today. ;)

Good luck giving it up! I agree. Bad day for that! Hopefully tomorrow will be a great day to give up smoking!

Pumping water out will need to continue during the rains so the water levels don't rise further. I hope they can keep that level down.
How much water will they be able to keep out during the monsoons? The boys are currently on a ledge surround by water. This area in the cave allegedly always stays dry, but what if it becomes submerged this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle