Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - Officials Believe 12 Boys And Coach Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by JerseyGirl, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Oh, that sounds hopeful. They're apparently 1km underground, right? From what I recall of the area (I was in Huay Xai to cross over to Laos) it was very hilly, very green and there were several small villages or smallholdings dotted about. Fingers crossed they might be able to identify the kids/dogs/roosters and find another way out.

2. enelram

enelram Well-Known Member

3. zencompass

zencompass May today be the day. Justice for Abby and Libby.

4. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

Oh that is good news! Yes that should help.

5. Elainera

"The Army today sent a team of 31 frogmen from the special force and the 21st Infantry Regiment to assist the Navy SEAL team in the mission to extract the 13 survivors out of the flooded cave."

31 army frogmen to join SEAL team in extraction mission - Thai PBS English News

6. zencompass

7. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe all Thai boys have to be novice monks for a year or two in their later teens, all will have practised regular meditation already. Fingers crossed the Buddhist mindset (which, in my opinion, is possibly the loveliest world religion) will get them through this ordeal.

8. zencompass

Thanks for this information, Elainera.

They even have training in "combat diving"! They have been trained to "expect" obstacles which will be so helpful in this situation.

"Army deputy spokesperson Colonel Sirichan Ngathong said today that Army Commander-in-Chief General Gen Chalermchai Sitthisart ordered the frogmen to be flown to Chiang Rai to assist in the rescue mission."

"She said that the 32 frogmen had undergone training in combat diving and a course in special diving."

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  9. zencompass

Survivors to be extracted one by one: Chiang Rai governor - Thai PBS English News

"He said the extraction plan is being adjusted because there would be difficulty bringing all the 12 young footballers and their coach out simultaneously even if they are physically healthy. The scenario is apparently based on the assumption that they may have to dive their way out of the flooded cave."

"Nonetheless, the governor stressed that draining water out of the cave still remains top priority. The rescue teams have been working around the clock to drain the flood waters out and block water from outside from flowing into the cave."

10. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

Do I have this right? The scuba experts say it is too dangerous to try to bring them out.

While those who know the cave and monsoon season say it is too dangerous to leave them inside because the entire area will/may flood.

ETA: I'm in no way giving up on these kids and don't mean to sound pessimistic.

11. Elainera

Here is another graphic showing where some of the air pockets/dry areas are located and where the narrow passage is. Although I believe the "4km" distance shown at the bottom is incorrect - I've seen 2km in other articles. Anyway ...

Perilous exit dive only way out for boys

Attached Files:

12. Elainera

Both are right imo. It's dangerous to leave, it's dangerous to wait it out. Rock - hard place unfortunately.

13. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

That's what I fear. Hallucinations. Yet it is worth investigating. If the boys really could hear they need to take turns making noise.

14. Wyle_E_Coyote

Wyle_E_Coyote Well-Known Member

The only option' It now seems swimming with scuba gear through muddy water in the dark cave is the only way out for the boys - with the added urgency to move before rain raises the water level again. This demonstration of swimming through murky water makes it appear even easier than the test that lies ahead for the Wild Boar football team to reach the outside world safely.

Perilous exit dive only way out for boys.

Edit for clarification... This isn't a picture from the cave, this is a picture of "normal" murky water . Cave is worse.

c1_1496898_180704044222_620x413.jpg

15. Wyle_E_Coyote

:(. I didn't think about hallucinations. I did wonder how they could have heard kids playing when it looks like the entire area is jungle .

16. enelram

enelram Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a definitive plan yet. From the sounds of all
    reports, my speculation only, is that we will shortly, like today
    hear about some of the boys along with the divers exiting the caves.
    fingers and toes crossed for their success in this harrowing attempt.

mom2four717, *Verdigris, JDG and 5 others like this.
  17. Wyle_E_Coyote

I don't think they will announce the rescue in advance. Too much can go wrong . I think the first we'll know is when one of the boys comes out.

mom2four717, Corina, Amonet and 4 others like this.
  18. Elainera

That's what I think too.

When they found them they announced it two hours later.

19. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Seems the break in the weather just might be another sign. The fact they were found alive is the first. That's what I am hanging on to. Sign's that all will go well.

20. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

I would think reporters on scene will have indication of when the extractions starts?

mom2four717, Elainera and Amonet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.