Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - Officials Believe 12 Boys And Coach Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

ดราม่าลิซึ่ม (iSmuffin) โดนล็อค‏ @iSmuffinnn
Replying to @mthai

16.20 found a new tunnel around Tham Pha. rappelled in 40 m. deep and reached the muddy area. found two small natural water sources. now they’re proofing. no confirmation if this connects to the cave. it could be a dead end or the connector. #ถ้ำหลวง #thamluang #thamluangcave

ดราม่าลิซึ่ม (iSmuffin) โดนล็อค on Twitter

(I'm surprised there isn't more activity on this thread. I'm glued to the twitter feed. 12 boys!!)

I read in one article (sorry don't remember which one) that these caves regularly flood in the monsoon season, so he should have known the potential for danger. Maybe the days prior were dry and he thought the weather would hold? But even if this was his line of thinking it was reckless to lead them all in there. I know from experience that you can't really rely on the weather forecast in the monsoon. Sometimes heavy rains suddenly take a break and a lot of crops are lost, and sometimes it's just the opposite and rains come much earlier or stronger than expected. He made a terrible mistake that hopefully he won't have to regret for the rest of his life.

I think it's in the Sky News article I linked to above, it says that there are signs at the cave warning people to not enter the caves during the rainy season and the sign gives the 'danger' months starting as July... I wonder if it not yet being July gave a false sense of security that it would still be okay to go in there?

I'm also bothered by earlier reports that there were shoes and bags found near the caves entrance...any food they took with them would likely have been in those bags.

The oxygen issue I think could be complex, as if they got trapped between two totally flooded sections of the cave they'd be in a 'bubble' of air with finite oxygen resources and we don't know how long the oxygen would last with so many people there :-( We have to hope that there's at least a little space above the water level on one side that can allow for fresh airflow to wherever they have hidden out. It does bother me that the media hasn't said anything about hearing any sounds. I would have thought they'd put microphones in the caves at various points and that voices might travel through the spaces where the tunnels aren't totally filled. But I suppose if they don't know rescuers might be only a kilometer away they might not be trying to call out for help?

I read the article linked to earlier about the Mossdale cave in England, and the bodies there were in two groups, one group was found drowned and sort of stuck from moving through the floodwaters by tight spaces in the tunnels...the final person had tried to get into an air bubble space but it seemed that there wasn't enough oxygen in that space for him to survive...at least that's what I understood from reading the article.

So on the one hand there's a small amount of hope to be gained that no bodies have yet been found! But it does seem to be only a small amount of hope :-/

ดราม่าลิซึ่ม (iSmuffin) โดนล็อค‏ @iSmuffinnn
Replying to @mthai

16.20 found a new tunnel around Tham Pha. rappelled in 40 m. deep and reached the muddy area. found two small natural water sources. now they’re proofing. no confirmation if this connects to the cave. it could be a dead end or the connector. #ถ้ำหลวง #thamluang #thamluangcave

ดราม่าลิซึ่ม (iSmuffin) โดนล็อค on Twitter

(I'm surprised there isn't more activity on this thread. I'm glued to the twitter feed. 12 boys!!)
Me too!

I think it's in the Sky News article I linked to above, it says that there are signs at the cave warning people to not enter the caves during the rainy season and the sign gives the 'danger' months starting as July... I wonder if it not yet being July gave a false sense of security that it would still be okay to go in there?
/

Snipped for focus

All the references I find say June to October.

Police chief Komsan Saardluan said parts of the cave, which is an estimated to be four to five miles long, get flooded to a height of up to 5m (16.5ft) during the rainy season, which runs from June to October.

Fears for youth football team trapped in Thai cave

Thailand Cave Rescue Mission Will Continue, Prime Minister Tells Families

The prime minister of Thailand, Prayuth Chan-ocha, offered words of encouragement on Friday to the families of 12 boys and their soccer coach trapped in a flooded cave complex, and pledged to continue a massive search and rescue operation.

“Until they come out, the officers will never abandon them,” Mr. Prayuth told about 75 relatives during his visit, in which he also inspected the cave entrance and spoke with officials leading the closely watched search.

Chinese rescue experts to join search for Thai footballers lost in cave

Source: Xinhua 2018-06-29 18:13:01
BANGKOK, June 29

(Xinhua) -- A team of Chinese cave rescue experts have arrived in Thailand and were on their way to the flooded cave in northern Thailand's Chiang Rai Province, where 12 Thai teenagers and their football coach have been trapped for six days. The six-man rescue team brought rescue equipments including underwater robot, diving equipment and three-dimension imager to the cave.

Chinese rescue experts to join search for Thai footballers lost in cave - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Thai prime minister tells families of soccer team missing in cave to have faith

Authorities have warned that the rising water is complicating efforts to supply electricity to the cave, raising the risk of an accident. There appeared to be a mishap Friday when workers ran out of the cave saying rescuers had been injured and to shut off the power. Several ambulances then rushed people from the site.

At least one police official initially said men had been electrocuted, but medical workers at the site along with Chiang Rai provincial Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn said that wasn't the case. Instead, they said a man had fainted while working on a water pump, prompting the scare, and another man had a stomach ailment.

Reports about what happened requiring ambulances, are still conflicted. moo

Speaking as a former caver who is familiar with this type of wet cave with large chambers connected by narrow passages, sadly I do not hold out much hope these boys will be found alive.
The experienced cave rescuers know this also. It is very brave of those divers to be putting their own lives at risk.

So sorry for these parents.

Each day makes this so much more dire than the day before. "IF" they have a water source, there's a chance some can survive, however, I just don't like thinking about it. Watching someone else die, while awaiting rescue. Mentally exhausting to deal with. Plus we don't know if they have any light source at all now. So trying to find fresh water, when you can't see... *sigh* Please keep trying to find them!

Each day makes this so much more dire than the day before. "IF" they have a water source, there's a chance some can survive, however, I just don't like thinking about it. Watching someone else die, while awaiting rescue. Mentally exhausting to deal with. Plus we don't know if they have any light source at all now. So trying to find fresh water, when you can't see... *sigh* Please keep trying to find them!

In the back of my head I'm thinking, If they know there are people trying to rescue them they should be able to hang on longer. I hope they know or knew that people have been trying to get to them all along. I'd hate for them to be thinking the whole time that nobody knows that they are trapped and therefore they give up. It's good that they have each other and that they are a team. That should help them stay somewhat positive. If they ran out of oxygen then there is probably nothing that could have prevented that.

Attachments

• AAze5nD.img.jpeg
    AAze5nD.img.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 10
Desperate search for boys' soccer team lost in Thailand cave hampered by rains

A nation continued to hold its breath Friday and hope for the safe return of 12 young soccer players and their coach who remain trapped in a flooded cave in northern Thailand after disappearing nearly a week ago.

The massive, frenzied rescue effort has been hampered by bad weather, however, as Thailand enters its rainy season. Trucks arrived recently with concrete to pave the area and make it less muddy as the rain stopped and started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla