The aftermath of the verdict *MERGED*

Discussion in 'Allison Baden-Clay of Australia' started by Spotted Reptile, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinking

Thinking New Member

I completely agree with you Makara. I refuse to get worked up about the appeal - it is BS and is being done as a matter of course, but Justice Byrne is the best of the best and I will eat my proverbial hat if any appeal judges found that he erred in giving directions to the jury. With respect to the appeal point about the scratch evidence and experts, I see that a similar ground was relied on in Sica's appeal in relation to expert evidence, and they were sent packing.

I remain thrilled that GBC has been found guilty and is where he belongs and will be there for a very long time :)

2. DrWatson

DrWatson Verified Thoracic and Vascular Surgeon

Hi Digitup :)

While theoretically possible, it would be difficult. And fairly pointless.

First, mefloquine has been withdrawn from sale, so availability is either difficult or impossible. Similar drugs from the same group don't have anywhere near the same side-effect profile. (EDIT: Correction - I gather that generic brands can still be obtained with mefloquine in them here in Australia, but not "Lariam")

Second, even if possible, the taste is very bitter, when added to something else (the "quine" part of the name is because it is related to quinine).

Third, any side effects would be unpredictable. Even given that Allison supposedly had a depressive reaction to the drug many, many years ago, there is absolutely no guarantee that she would get any reaction at all now, or if she did, that it would manifest as depression. And even if it did, there is no way to cause her to commit suicide.

So overall, while the scenario is vaguely possible, and could make a nice story line in a novel, I don't think it's a real-world possibility.

But I can't exclude it 100%..... (tongue in cheek) ;)

3. Onlyone

Onlyone New Member

Thanks for that, you made me feel much less anxious about it.

4. Maigret

Maigret New Member

Agree totally - going through the motions is all

5. MsAnais

MsAnais Verified Clinical Psychologist (AU)

Thanks for sharing that experience :seeya:

And absolutely nature has a huge role in our looks, likes, preferences and basic personality traits - I have two children who are completely different personalities and so similar to their grandparents that it's freaky! I was referring more to how we behave in the world toward others, our emotional stability and how we are in relationship with our partner.

For someone to behave as GBC has to Allison, I believe firmly he has witnessed a repeated 'putting down' of women and been brought up with an unhealthy sense of entitlement. I just don't believe that he was born as a little baby with these attitudes. He would have come in with his basic personality, but you don't end up as an adult who thinks it's a viable option to simply take your wife's life if something hasn't been seriously amiss at home when you were growing up. JMO.

6. Aliwonders

Aliwonders New Member

There would be allowances for paperwork that needed signing etc I would imagine and since the appeal has been done so quickly I would say they had to get him to sign or approve papers which they did carry in a large envelope according to one report I read.

7. Fuskier

Fuskier Well-Known Member

Appreciate this post Isisrising. There is so much in your post which is so well said IMO. That aside, yes I agree its possible that GBC may cross paths with a young, female forensic psych, with academic qualifications (little or no training in therapy) who could be vulnerable to the 'manipulations' of
    this convicted murderer. Its an unequal power/knowledge situation between prisoner and psych IMO: generally, prisoners have had a lifetime of deep 'in situ' learning/reinforcement of pathology within the family/social environment, yet the young, female psychs only have their 6 years of academic training, a good heart and wide-eyes to change the world to a better place. They are emotionally unprepared and vulnerable to the hardened manipulative ways of many convicted criminals. The system fails them too - without the provision of strong supervision in practice, My opinion only.

8. MsAnais

Great points, Fuskier. I completely agree. :seeya:

9. MadDoc

MadDoc Member

Yep...I remember that happening in hospital intern days too.

They didn't have a hyphenated surname beginning with B and C, did they?

10. MadDoc

MadDoc Member

I bet he's turning on the charm right now for the nice psychologist who is doing his assessment on his entry to the prison.

11. MsAnais

I hope he gets a really old man!! A jaded one, who's seen it all before!! :lol:

12. BJsleuth

BJsleuth New Member

Hi Snails, I have read that a few times before. The whole thing is so sad. I wonder if he was born these days, if things would have turned out differently. If he'd been correctly diagnosed as a toddler and had appropriate early intervention, it could have changed his path perhaps. It sounded to me like he had some sensory perception disorder (not wanting cuddles and screaming like he was hurt when caught in games of chasey) OT might have helped and obviously he needed speech therapy. Those things were unheard of back when he was growing up though.

13. Wolfinator

Wolfinator New Member

On the upside, his appeal is a further demonstration of complete lack of remorse.

Good luck with that parole application.

14. toe

toe New Member

He's going to be very depressed not having his business card to hand over :jail:

15. they'll get you

they'll get you On Time Out

why is the work of White Ribbon important?

Australia is not immune.

Violence against women is a serious problem in Australia where:

Over 12 months, on average, one woman is killed every week as a result of intimate partner violence.
    A woman is most likely to be killed by her male partner in her home.
    Domestic and family violence is the principle cause of homelessness for women and their children.
    Intimate partner violence is the leading contributor to death, disability and ill-health in Australian women aged 15-44.
    One in three women have experienced physical and/or sexual violence perpetrated by someone known to them.
    One in four children are exposed to domestic violence, which is a recognised form of child abuse.
    The cost of violence against women to the Australian economy is estimated to rise to $15.6 billion per annum.
    One in five women experience harassment within the workplace.
    One in five women over 18 has been stalked during her lifetime.

http://www.whiteribbon.org.au/white-ribbon-importance

16. possumheart

possumheart Well-Known Member

Zorrow, I was there in 1976 and it was a mix of gifted children and children with behavioural problems, and quite controversial. Three blocks, one with grades 1, 2 and 3 merged, one with grades 4 and 5 mixed, and one with grades 6 and 7 mixed. And there was a Library (where I hid). There was almost no supervision, children were free to roam the grounds. I was beaten by one boy with a blackboard ruler (headmaster excused that because boy was epileptic) - my point is that the emphasis was on each child being 'special' and the kids were noticeably different to others when they reached high school. Gerard was the only child from his family to attend that school, so my question is why did he need a different style of schooling - was he more likely to flourish in an undisciplined and unorthodox environment as a small boy? He lived in close proximity to the Prep, where his siblings went to school, so it was actually an inconvenience to transport him to Gabbinbar.

Many good people have come out of that school, they were not damaged.

I was not implying that the school gave him behavioural problems, I was suggesting that possibly:
    1) he was sent to that school because of adjustment or behavioural problems (which may have stemmed from migration) and/or
    2) he emerged from a primary school that nurtured high self esteem and specialness as it's absolute priority, coupled with parents that nurtured the same.

It is undeniable that Gerard, to this day, has a healthy perception of his own 'specialness'.

17. they'll get you

they'll get you On Time Out

It would be interesting to know if C-21 has been affected by their name being associated with a crime on an international scale.
    I'm sure C-21 would like to see this quickly swept under the carpet but with this latest appeal it won't be any time soon.

18. volunteer

volunteer New Member

I have no doubt that if the appeal to the Court of Appeal here is not successful, he will apply to the High Court. What do others think?

All on the public purse of course!

19. Total

Total New Member

No Volunteer
    The good thing IMO is that if he appeals to the High Court they will have to find their own funds as such an appeal is not funded by the taxpayers through legal aid. Only his appeal to the Court of Appeal will be funded by the taxpayers. Unless of course he finds a lawyer willing to act pro bono (for free) who is seeking some notoriety themselves.

20. Greg

Greg New Member

I thought the depression related suicide was a somewhat plausible narrative. How did she suicide by walking 15klms and then lying down under a bridge???? i don't find that plausible.

Alison's body toxicology report showed anti-depressants at 12 times the level of normal anti-depressant levels. These results can be unreliable though due to decomposition. Not enough to indicate fatal overdose

Alison was found in her walking clothes and shoes and in a location further on from her normal walking route. I find this a detail that supports the notion that she left the house voluntarily it supports the notion that she was dressed in clothes and shoes nothing more

The prosecution suggested that Allison was murdered on the property, but no blood or evidence of a murder was found. Yet there was blood in the vehicle. Leaves in the hair link the murder to the property

Gerard could not be placed at the scene of the murder the murder was linked to the property by way of the leaves, Gerard admits to being at the property aka the scene of the murder

You ignore the scratches, the finances, the mistresses and so on and so on...

<Mod Snip>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.