The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #10

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by CoverMeCagney, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

It is a difficult one because mental health is an extremely serious issue and awareness should be raised about it. But I think it could be extremely irresponsible to talk about such a serious issue in a position of authority with no formal qualification or knowledge in the subject. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are doing it the right way by not making it about them personally.

I don’t want to listen to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s problems and grievances with the press that 99% of the population are unable to relate to. Talking about this issue publicly does not help raise awareness of mental health for the general public and just turns more people against them as they appear self-absorbed.

2. fridaybaker

fridaybaker Well-Known Member

I think one of the best things the royals can do isn't so much talk about things and fund endless charities and foundations, but realize that they shouldn't be following styles and trends, they should be setting them. An example that comes to mind is the obligatory, insane need to be ultra thin. I cringed when I saw how thin the Duchess of Cambridge had become at one point and reading about how she eats very little to be that way. Princess Diana as well. It's so damaging, but it's an ever present theme in contemporary culture. With a painfully thin, waife-like figure, these ladies are part and parcel of the problem.

Obviously, in some cases there is more to it than the desire for approval by kow-towing to the celebrity/model/trend setter standard of being incredibly thin, but that is the driving element much of the time. I would love to see one of the fairly "visible" royals eschew the standards set by the fashion elite, and evince a "normal" figure and, preferably, refrain from talk of diets and keeping fit, etc., etc., etc. Just appear normal and confident in one's normalness, rather than catering to the cultural trend du jour. Lead, not follow.

Satchie, Laughing, Amonet and 2 others like this.
  3. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

I think Sophie sets a good example and so does Anne. It would be “interesting” to see how the press would react if Kate gained weight. Merciless, I suspect. But I wish she and Meghan would.

4. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

And I think Zara Tindsale looks like she is of a healthy and normal weight. She competes as a horsewoman, much like her mother, and I believe you want to be in very good physical shape to compete

Laughing, fridaybaker, Amonet and 2 others like this.
  5. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

6. SugarQueen

SugarQueen Well-Known Member

I wish I could take credit for that! LOL
    I messaged Global Sugar Art trying to find out who made it. I’d like to give them the credit they are due.

7. rosemadderlake

rosemadderlake Well-Known Member

It’s really an incredible likeness. And the colors are as fine as an artists’s palate from skin tone to the jewels on her crown. I love the movement of her hair. Truly, the piece, the confection is a work of art.

Laughing, weepingangel, Herat and 3 others like this.
  8. Kensie

Kensie Well-Known Member

Deleted by me. Jumped the gun.

9. maggieg

maggieg Well-Known Member

While protecting their own and naming children after Mountbatten who was a known child sex abuser but the royals have for the most part covered that up and lauded him as a great man.

FBI files allege Lord Mountbatten, murdered by the IRA, was a pedophile

Lord Mountbatten's 'lust for young boys' exposed in FBI files

UPDATED & EXPANDED: Kincora boy abused by Mountbatten committed suicide months later

fridaybaker, human, byo and 1 other person like this.
  10. Wyle_E_Coyote

Wyle_E_Coyote Well-Known Member

SBM
    Sarah Ferguson had a normal figure, and the press called her the Duchess of Pork. :(

fridaybaker, Laughing, human and 5 others like this.
  11. Amonet

Amonet Well-Known Member

To be fair though, they aren't naming their children 'after' him, they're giving their children the family surname that comes from Prince Philip?

ETA maybe you're referring to William and Catherine giving both their sons the name 'Louis'?

human and Doghairrules like this.
  12. maggieg

maggieg Well-Known Member

Yes

13. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Laughing, human, enelram and 3 others like this.
  14. rosemadderlake

rosemadderlake Well-Known Member

0B770F92-BCBD-40C9-B67C-6F707E33DEE8.jpeg 1A93A05F-B6D7-455D-8672-951CDC5F14BA.jpeg

World's most expensive belt made from platinum and encrusted with diamonds goes on sale for an eye-watering £60,000

• British designer Christopher Shellis is based in Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham
    • He encrusted the accessory with 18 5.5-carat gold studs and 60 diamonds
    • It is also emblazoned with the Fleur-de-Lys inspired by the Elizabethan era style
    World's most expensive belt made from platinum and diamonds goes on sale for eye-watering £60,000 | Daily Mail Online

A little OT, but royally inspired...

I’m liking this blinged out belt! The platinum is a great color.

Laughing, human, Pi Thoughts and 4 others like this.
  15. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

It doesn nothing for me. If it were a tiara that would be another story

fridaybaker, Laughing and Lilibet like this.
  16. Sherwood Park

Sherwood Park Well-Known Member

Laughing, byo, SugarQueen and 5 others like this.
  17. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

watcher9, Laughing, byo and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.