The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping to offer a review of Harry & Meghan: Becoming Royal that premiered on Lifetime last night, but I didn't realize the made-for-TV movie was 2 and a half hours long instead of the usual 2 hour time frame. I watched until a commercial break at 10:10PM and was too tired to stay up for the conclusion. If I can watch the rest of the movie "on demand" sometime today, I'll do so. If not, it will be on again soon, I'm sure.

Last edited:
:) Queen Victoria as you've never seen her before
High-quality film of Queen Victoria on her last trip to Ireland has been rediscovered.

The footage was taken a year before she died.

The monarch can be seen smiling and nodding. We can even see that she's wearing sunglasses.

14052570-7077087-image-a-112_1559046885045.jpg

Queen Victoria visited Ireland in 1900 was to pay tribute to the Irish regiments who fought in the Boer War
Queen Victoria as you've never seen her before
Woooow this is super cool!! It's always difficult for me to picture how people lived that long ago - incredible to see this footage!

:) Queen Victoria as you've never seen her before
High-quality film of Queen Victoria on her last trip to Ireland has been rediscovered.

The footage was taken a year before she died.

The monarch can be seen smiling and nodding. We can even see that she's wearing sunglasses.

14052570-7077087-image-a-112_1559046885045.jpg

Queen Victoria visited Ireland in 1900 was to pay tribute to the Irish regiments who fought in the Boer War
Queen Victoria as you've never seen her before

WOWZERS!! This is amazing footage from 119 years ago!!

Wish all modern day CCTV was this clear....

I was hoping to offer a review of Harry & Meghan: Becoming Royal that premiered on Lifetime last night,...
I watched until a commercial break at 10:10PM and was too tired to stay up for the conclusion. If I can watch the rest of the movie "on demand" sometime today, I'll do so. If not, it will be on again soon, I'm sure.
This doesn't sound much like a 'riveting watch-rave-review'
giphy.gif

This doesn't sound much like a 'riveting watch-rave-review'

And it won't be when I finish watching it ;) If the movie had been worthwhile, I would have stayed up to watch the last 20 minutes. Harry & Meghan: Becoming Royal will be featured on Lifetime at 8:00PM this evening, followed by an hourlong special about Meghan and Harry's first child. I'll do my best to watch the conclusion of the movie and maybe take in some of the "baby" special, as well.

Woooow this is super cool!! It's always difficult for me to picture how people lived that long ago - incredible to see this footage!
:) I love these kind of old photographs & films!
Here's the longer film footage containing the clip (11mins)

The IMAX of the 1890s: Amazing Restored Films from the Victorian era

“We live in an environment where there are moving images constantly around us. But in 1897, this was startling and new and completely revolutionary. It was a different way of looking at the world.”

In 1939, MoMA acquired a treasure trove of thirty-six reels of 68mm nitrate prints and negatives made in cinema’s very first years. Everything that survived of the Biograph film company lives on those reels, including a rare bit of moving image footage of Queen Victoria.

The IMAX of the 1890s: Amazing Restored Films from the Victorian era shot in 68mm

And it won't be when I finish watching it ;) If the movie had been worthwhile, I would have stayed up to watch the last 20 minutes. Harry & Meghan: Becoming Royal will be featured on Lifetime at 8:00PM this evening, followed by an hourlong special about Meghan and Harry's first child. I'll do my best to watch the conclusion of the movie and maybe take in some of the "baby" special, as well.

Thomas is not happy with how he and the Markles were portrayed in it he has been complaining in the British tabloids.

13E4E938-6B57-42BF-8F4C-91BBB6CA172F.jpeg B415D2E6-E68F-4F33-B02D-15B173FFCBFA.jpeg 0483F8F9-2190-4A43-8A84-2F987E582023.jpeg 1EFA6604-CB61-4051-8F16-160F345B5930.jpeg 07E1FC75-2F26-429C-BADE-1919A154B924.jpeg 12D5685F-ACD6-4701-BD31-41D2AA4CAB98.jpeg BE1B4B38-3998-4D8F-9D97-F08B4AFE5C79.jpeg 6A1E9C24-7894-4EC1-A983-F25A38D9EA79.jpeg

The REAL special relationship: How Queen Elizabeth has met, entertained and wowed 12 U.S. presidents from Eisenhower to Obama and now prepares for Donald Trump and Melania to be her latest guests of honor for the second time

Queen Elizabeth has met 12 U.S. Presidents during her reign | Daily Mail Online

I would love to have a conversation with Her Majesty about the Presidents she has met and what she thought of them. A book about these interactions would be fascinating but sadly it will never happen as Her Majesty would never publicly reveal this information.

<modsnip>
  • This thread is our FUN place :p
  • This is a STATE VISIT
  • It is a SYMBOLIC tradition
2000px-Royal_Coat_of_Arms_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

" The Queen has travelled to – or hosted visitors from – a huge number of different countries. These visits, both outward and incoming, play an integral role in strengthening Britain's relationships with countries across the world."
source.gif
giphy.gif

It's about FRIENDSHIP
<modsnip>

State Visits

Last edited by a moderator:
New grandfather Prince Charles shows his paternal side as he meets the youngest resident of an affordable housing development before planting a tree during an official visit to Dorset
"Prince Charles has created Poundbury as a utopian idyll where private and affordable housing mix with boutique shops, places of work and services like the local school and medical centre within walking distance."
14053884-7078317-image-a-4_1559049420206.jpg
Dressed in a checked grey suit adorned with a flower, Charles smiled warmly as he chatted with a mother holding her young baby.

"Charles, 70, who has helped create the new community 'Poundbury' on the fringes of Dorset - which mixes private and affordable housing mix with places of work and services - was seen chatting with homeowners in nearby Powerstock.

...On its website the Duchy says: 'The architecture of Poundbury is unashamedly traditional and reflects the local style, but it is not a village; it is an urban extension to Dorchester.
'"

Prince Charles shows his paternal side as he meets residents in Dorset | Daily Mail Online

making-an-announcement-emoticon-vector-24236193.jpg

For further information...
'Poundbury'​
732511794_1280x720.jpg

Poundbury is an urban extension to the Dorset county town of Dorchester, built on Duchy of Cornwall land, according to principles of architecture and urban planning as advocated by HRH The Prince of Wales in his book ‘A Vision of Britain’

qms-940x484.jpg

QUEEN MOTHER SQUARE
Poundbury was planned to challenge some of the zonal planning assumptions of the latter part of the 20th Century which led to ghettoised housing estates and out of town shopping centres, forcing ever greater reliance on the car.

As Poundbury has developed, it has demonstrated that there is a genuine alternative to the way in which we build new communities in this country.

Poundbury | The Duchy of Cornwall

:D Royal Wedding 1923
The Queen Mother marries the future King George VI at Westminster Abbey
Silent newsreel footage of the wedding day of The Duke of York (later King George VI) and Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (later Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother) as they travel to and from Westminster Abbey for the ceremony.
The wedding took place 26th April 1923.

(;)This whole site is a treasure trove of film footage!
British Film Institute (BFI)
Edwardian Britain on Film
"Welcome to a lost world. These amazing films, lost for nearly a century, offer something close to time travel - a journey into the Britain of our great grandparents, courtesy of filmmakers Mitchell and Kenyon."

But here's link to collection which includes other Royal footage from yesteryear:

search | BFI Player family

Edwardian Britain on Film
Watch The Royal Wedding - BFI Player

Thomas is not happy with how he and the Markles were portrayed in it he has been complaining in the British tabloids.

I watched the rest of Harry & Meghan: Becoming Royal last night. When the original version premiered Monday night, it was 2 hours and 34 minutes, including commercials. Last night, the 2-hour version aired, so I don't know what was edited. I didn't care for the movie in either format and would struggle to give it a passing grade. I realize that one must suspend reality when watching a film about high profile people whom we see in the media almost daily, but the actress who portrayed Meghan did not look at all like her, nor did the actor who played Harry look like PH. The actors in Harry & Meghan: A Royal Romance were much more believable as the now Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

How Becoming Royal Tackles 10 Meghan Markle Mysteries

Lifetime’s royal sequel dives straight into the controversies swirling around Meghan Markle before, during, and after her wedding to Prince Harry.

Behold: An Exclusive Look at Lifetime’s Harry and Meghan: Becoming Royal

Lifetime’s Harry and Meghan: Becoming Royal is nigh, and based on early glimpses, the royal wedding–themed TV movie (note the exclusive-to-Vogue photo above!) draws heavily on the salacious, real-life Markle family drama...

Meghan Markle’s half brother reveals he’s homeless and at the 'lowest point' of his life

Cry me a river! Loser brother can't find a job. I actually have experience with this, with three half brothers...from three different women. They are all major losers, one once called me for bail money!

Adults need to work and take care of themselves. This builds self esteem and self confidence. I am sure that if he needs food assistance he can go to the food bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.