The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know about the Chantel Elloway bit. Seems like she has the Travelyst company and loves to flaunt luxury travel, private planes, etc.

What a stupid fail THIS is!

Prince Harry unwittingly wanders into PR disaster as his new planet-friendly Travalyst scheme links to Instagram blogger with love for... PRIVATE JETS

I like to travel and I think it is important to see and meet other people around the globe. We all laugh, cry, love, etc. We need to see others are people with the same needs as everyone.

Cruise ships often have everything on the ship. Bicycles, kayaks, gifts, jewelry. When tourists come off the ship, they then do not contribute to the locals.

Food has to be certified so locally grown food is often not used.

And of cf course cruise ships dumping garbage out in the ocean.

Hotels are switching from shampoos in tiny plastic bottles to tamper proof large bottles that will remain in the room. Of course , hotels have asked quite awhile for guests to reuse towels.

I imagine there can be lots of ways to cut down on what is wasted in the travel industry. Perhaps some kind of reusable silverware on planes, for imstance

Last edited:
Quote from the article.

In the eulogy he delivered at Westminster Abbey, Spencer said, "It is a tribute to her level-headedness and strength that despite the most bizarre life imaginable after her childhood, she remained intact, true to herself...I don't think she ever understood why her genuinely good intentions were sneered at by the media, why there appeared to be a permanent quest on their behalf to bring her down. It is baffling.

"My own and only explanation is that genuine goodness is threatening to those at the opposite end of the moral spectrum. It is a point to remember that of all the ironies about Diana, perhaps the greatest was this: a girl given the name of the ancient goddess of hunting was, in the end, the most hunted person of the modern age. She would want us today to pledge ourselves to protecting her beloved boys, William and Harry, from a similar fate and I do this here, Diana, on your behalf. We will not allow them to suffer the anguish that used regularly to drive you to tearful despair."
BBM

Sadly, media sneering seems to be repeating itself with Harry. As Diana’s brother said, “It is baffling.” Or maybe it’s not.

In any case, Harry is trying to make a difference. Perhaps the Travalyst Initiative is a poor idea. Or perhaps it will prove to be a good idea. But at least Harry isn’t afraid to try.

When I was young, someone in government said something I’ve never forgotten, even though I’ve forgotten his name:

“All I can do is try. If I fail, I fail. But I would rather be blamed for failing than for not trying.”

I'm loving this dress from her 1965 visit to Ethiopia.
upload_2019-9-3_21-13-9.png

Lovely family photo. I wonder if Prince Charles ever had dogs of his own as an adult, they certainly were a major part of his life as a child. I don't recall William and Harry having pets. I wonder if Princess Diana liked dogs?
upload_2019-9-3_21-14-47.png

I imagine there can be lots of ways to cut down on what is wasted in the travel industry. Perhaps some kind of reusable silverware on planes, for imstance

Qantas have actually done a zero waste flight this year and they've pledged to reduce their waste on flights by 75% by 2021

"The flight would typically produce 34 kilograms of waste, with the Sydney to Adelaide route producing 150 tonnes of waste annually.
Around 1,000 single-use plastic items were substituted with sustainable alternatives or removed altogether from the flight, the latter including individually-packaged servings of milk and Vegemite.
Meal containers were made from sugar cane and cutlery was made from crop starch, with cabin crew collecting items into separate waste streams after the meal. They also took in any paper boarding passes or other used papers to recycle them."

Qantas operates first ‘zero waste’ flight – Business Traveller

View attachment 202217

Lovely family photo. I wonder if Prince Charles ever had dogs of his own as an adult, they certainly were a major part of his life as a child. I don't recall William and Harry having pets. I wonder if Princess Diana liked dogs?
View attachment 202218

It is a lovely dress it still looks great today and isn’t dated considering it is 54 years ago. It would make a good fashion book outfits Her Majesty and also maybe Princess Margaret over the years.

That reminds me....

The political news from UK is pretty wild today.

I remember when Brexit was announced:

2560.jpg

View attachment 202217

View attachment 202218

Yes, gorgeous color and nice with "just a touch of bling" she is wearing...... :rolleyes:

View attachment 202217

View attachment 202218

Bbm: Me too - it’s a gorgeous dress and the cut, how perfectly it fits QE.

The bling is extraordinary too. And it’s a whole lot of bling. I love the tiara. But, the necklace and earring set... are they diamonds? At first I thought white sapphires and copper topaz on the other necklace and brooch... it’s all over the top and quite stunning together.

The Duchess of Sussex is preparing to return from maternity leave next week, a royal reporter has claimed.

Meghan Markle, 38, will attend an event on Thursday 12 September to launch her new womenswear line in collaboration with the Smart Works charity, of which she is patron.

It will mark the first official engagement for the new mother since the birth of her son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor in May.

Meghan Markle will return to royal duties next week after taking four months' maternity leave | Daily Mail Online

The eulogy he delivered at Westminster Abbey, Spencer said, "It is a tribute to her level-headedness and strength that despite the most bizarre life imaginable after her childhood, she remained intact, true to herself..
THE EARL'S SPEECH

PRINCESS Diana’s brother Earl Charles Spencer is selling copies of the eulogy he read at her funeral for £30 – and you can get signed copies.

The blue bound book includes the full text he read at his older sister’s ceremony at Westminster Abbey on September 6, 1997

NINTCHDBPICT000517419726.jpg
The book, which is titled “Earl Spencer’s Tribute to Diana, Princess of Wales”, comes in a case which is secured by a decorative ribbon.

It is available to buy in the gift shop of the family’s estate Althorp House in Northamptonshire

And on certain visiting days, Lord Charles Spencer, who is worth around £116m, sets up a booth to sign copies for visiting customers.

A visitor, who went to the estate on Thursday, told Fabulous Digital: “He does the signings every day, apparently.

“He was quite nice with people, pleasant and thanked them for coming.”
NINTCHDBPICT000517419713.jpg

The commemorative item includes the full speech of the text Charles Spencer read out over two decades ago at Diana’s funeral

The Althorp Grade I-listed stately home is also the site of Princess Diana’s final resting place, and she is buried on an island in the middle of a lake in the grounds.
Surrounded by rolling, lush grounds, Diana’s grave is peacefully nestled on an island nicknamed the Oval in the middle of an ornamental lake.

princess-diana-grave-targeted.jpg

Princess Diana’s final resting place is on an island in the middle of a lake at Althorp House
The peaceful spot is regularly visited by her sons Prince William, 37, and Prince Harry, 34, along with thousands of adoring fans who flock to the estate each summer – with some leaving notes for their “Queen of Hearts”
“We all agreed that, with its beauty and tranquillity, this was the place for Diana to be.”

:cool: Before anyone gets all pi$$ed accusing Charles of profiting from sister's death.
Please read up on Althorp!

The place costs a fortune just to upkeep alone. He's also spent millions renovation the estate which of course includes Diana, Princess of Wales final resting place.
The profits from the gift shop all go to upkeep the Diana Memorials.
Whatever you may think of the guy he IS her brother & they were very close, :( not so much the time of the tragedy, sadly like all siblings they had squabbles & fallings out.
- Hindsight - Unknown then but also remember Charles' own marriage was imploding at that time -;)

:pThank You!

Althorp Estate
0009383300000258-3289469-image-a-8_1445848583797.jpg
Althorp spans over 13,000 acres and is still owned by Charles Spencer. A major tourist attraction, primarily due to Diana’s memorial, “millions” was recently invested into restoring the grounds where she was buried.

From small estate to world-famous attraction

The childhood home to Princess Diana, Althorp is more than just a stately home.

Mentioned in the 11th-Century Domesday Book as ‘Olletorp’...

Sir John Spencer, who grazed sheep in the village from 1486, finally bought the Althorp land and built Althorp House...

The property was passed down through the Spencer generations for years...

693dd642-f4ef-4b5e-9c01-d4ab09b5d489-building%20up%20althorp.jpg

Fit for the King
During his reign, King Charles I paid a visit to Althorp. For the occasion, the entire house was transformed..

Literary influences
When John Spencer passed away in 1783, the estate was inherited by his son, George John..

George continued to keep the house alive, and developed one of the largest libraries in Europe inside Althorp.

Addicted to to collecting, he tried to obtain almost every volume every published in Great Britain.

...the spending soon wore thin and the Spencers began feeling the financial impact
Unfortunately for the next generations, the debt was passed on...

The debt didn’t disappear for the Spencers,
In 1992, the estate was inherited by his son, Charles, and was losing an estimated £400,000 ($490,00) annually...

The following year, a huge auction took place and hundreds of items from within the estate were auctioned off for a whopping $28 million (£21m).
Since the 90s, however, :cool: Charles has worked hard to increase the estate’s revenue to keep Althorp running.

Major works
In 2009, major works were carried out to restore Althorp House. Work was done on the stonework, roof and tiles. But the job wasn’t cheap.
The cost of the restoration is estimated to be millions – :eek:£10million ($13.2m) was “We all agreed that, with its beauty and tranquillity, this was the place for Diana to be.”spent on the roof work alone.

The family and financial secrets of Princess Diana's childhood home | lovemoney.com
Princess Diana's brother Lord Spencer is selling copies of the eulogy he read at her funeral for £30 - and will even sign them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23