The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 10th July - Trial Day 18

Discussion in 'Allison Baden-Clay of Australia' started by marlywings, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BritsKate

BritsKate Well-Known Member

No worries. :) Apologies for not quoting...tapatalk hates me.

Please pardon errors as posted via Tapatalk with a less than stellar user.

2. ollijack

ollijack Member

Oh my God. I hope this doesn't come back to bite the
    Prosecution. I can just see Defence demanding a miss trial

3. BrissyLass

BrissyLass New Member

I'm not sure about why the jury are not given written transcripts, perhaps they should be, I'm sure there is a good reason for that, but your other point about jurors expecting to be able to use the internet.... NO Chance and this is something that drives me insane (not you Miss Fisher) but people in general.

They are in a Court of Law, they are on a jury in a high profile case, a very sensitive case and they have been instructed VERY clearly about what they can and cannot do and yet someone on that jury, and perhaps more than one juror (heaven forbid, lets hope not) has just not given a toss about anything the Judge has said and gone home and done an internet search on "how to deliberate"

it's a lack of respect to the law, the court system and the position of juror :twocents:

ok, sorry, vent over

4. Hillsdon

Hillsdon New Member

Hi HO

I totally agree, he was so close to getting away with it. I believe that originally (immediately after the act) he was planning on making it look like an abduction and random act, however once the ball got rolling he discovered that this almost never happens in brisbane... So he needed a new story, so he started (a little late) the suicide theory.

Hillsdon

5. missfisher

missfisher New Member

There's no IQ test...

6. PlainJaneDoe

PlainJaneDoe Verified expert in neuroscience

Why thank you!

Actually, as much as I turn to the Internet for everyday "how to" questions, it never crossed my mind to look up that particular task.

7. BrissyLass

BrissyLass New Member

exactly, but this is the thing isn't it.... a jury is a random selection of the community

i'm a little concerned

8. Aunty

Aunty New Member

I think we have an insulted angry Judge. :croc:

He made the rules very very very clear yesterday , when I was there.

WTF
    The Jury asking for a copy of his directions ???
    A member of the Jury has deliberately ignored the Judge and rules???
    :snake: is lurking amongst them ?

9. Amee

Amee Active Member

Emmy Kubainski ‏@emmykubainski 3m

Jury warned not to use internet, social media, mobiles, text books...anything other than material from the court. @7NewsBrisbane #badenclay

10. BJsleuth

BJsleuth New Member

Lol, that's what my husband just said!

I'm stunned at all the things that have happened with this jury, approached by media and once by a woman in purple, now downloading deliberation advice that's from a completely different jurisdiction. It's like a bad movie.

11. possumheart

possumheart Well-Known Member

The Judiciary will only allow an appeal if the grounds are sufficient, and are very mindful to avoid that. I would be interested in how you can possibly predict that there are grounds for appeal already - at this very moment in time. Are you saying that the Judge has not wrapped this up properly?

12. Zorro

Zorro New Member

My "How to Deliberate Guide":

Go round the table and see who has an inclination or has decided on which way to go. Ask the minority group to outline their arguments. Find the points of difference and work them through. Then ...

Go round the table and see who has an inclination or has decided on which way to go. Ask the minority group to outline their arguments. Find the points of difference and work them through. Then ...

A unanimous decision has to be made so don't be coy about it.

13. alioop

alioop Verified Attorney (AU)

I think you are right about no interference with a corpse charge. Even though the media has reported he pled not guilty at the beginning of the trial to both charges, when you look at the tweets and articles it only says "charge". Not charges. I don't think it has been mentioned at all during the trial. The judge would have had to instruct the jury about both charges if there was the two but he didn't. Therefore I now think the only charge at trial is the murder one.

I suspect this is not tactical as such with a view to charging others or GBC again, just superfluous because if he is convicted of murder then he gets the life with min of 15 years no parole. The prosecution could just then concentrate on the murder and no other charges.

14. BrissyLass

BrissyLass New Member

Yes, there is going to a case for an appeal for sure now, probably a legal aid funded appeal even

15. Surfeegirl

Surfeegirl New Member

Do we have a Jury Foreperson?

16. Amee

Amee Active Member

1:35pm: Justice Byrne discharged the jury once more but asked them to return minutes later for him to reiterate his instructions to them, at the request of the prosecution and defence counsels.

"I draw your attention once more to what I said on this topic. You must not inquire outside the courtroom about anything that relates to the trial. So you must not use any aid such as a text book to conduct research and, except in this courtroom, you must not in any seek or receive information about questions that arise in the trial, or about the accused, or about witnesses or the deceased," he said.

"For example, conducting research using the internet, or by communicating by someone by phone, email, or on Twitter, through any blog or website, including the social networking websites such as Facebook, Linked In or You Tube.

"Thank you for your attention."

The jury has resumed its deliberations.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...y-18-week-5-20140710-3bnzp.html#ixzz3727RUBe0

17. PrimeSuspect

PrimeSuspect Under the Milky Way

Sky News Australia ‏@SkyNewsAust 46s
    Jurors told they must not inquire about anything relating to the trial outside the courtroom

:slap:

18. sheldor

sheldor New Member

I don't know about law in Australia, but if it was here in NZ I doubt that much would be done about them looking up info on jury deliberations. The only case I know of where there was a successful appeal (actually and English case) was where jury used a ouija board! There has to be a real risk that the jury's deliberations were skewed by the material.

19. Fluffykins

Fluffykins Well-Known Member

BBM. "Hot Toddy" - brilliant! :tyou::great::skip:

20. possumheart

possumheart Well-Known Member

You have completely lost me JCB and BrissyLass. On what grounds? What have I missed here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.